Wading the Upper Rogue?

T
Tinker
I'd like to explore the upper Rogue, were it starts to get skinny, and I'm guessing, at least as far up as Phil did in his thread:

Never been anywhere near the Rogue other than the mouth near Gold Beach, and was wondering - roughly - how far up I'd have to go to start finding water that's that pretty? Would there be access without a boat? How the heck would I get into an area like that? Most maps, even online, are not all that detailed...

Just want to start scouting for a possible future trip and not sure where to get started. Anything would be helpful.

F
fredaevans
From the top end of the Wild and Scenic there's lots of easy public access. The major exception to this is from Grants Pass to Gold Hill. That area, save for boat is really skinny if you're on foot. The one thing I strongly urge folks who are new to the Rogue is the get the "Streamtime" river map. Dated it may be, but its still dead on right down the the 1/10th of a mile. All the points have a short 'here's what you'll find' and even 95% of those are still accurate.

Fred

H
hcole
Get the map Fred mentioned, it's worth its weight in gold.

Last edited:
F
fredaevans
Just thought of something else! Google Earth updated all of our local info in 2011 so its very current. (Fun to see your Jeep in the driveway.) Anyway, get the map and pull up GE and do the 'fly up the Rogue' (you use one of the two 'buttons to turn the screen on its side) and as you look at the map, 'fly there.'

Another place the above can be really helpful is access in side the City Limits of Grants Pass. Several roads (side streets) actually end right at the river. If there's no house there you have 'access' in most cases. One great place is a pocket park called "Tussing Park." Park built after the map was made and a great place to fish! Obviously you'll want a GP street map to mark down the 'where.'

T
Tinker
fredaevans said:
From the top end of the Wild and Scenic there's lots of easy public access. The major exception to this is from Grants Pass to Gold Hill. That area, save for boat is really skinny if you're on foot. The one thing I strongly urge folks who are new to the Rogue is the get the "Streamtime" river map. Dated it may be, but its still dead on right down the the 1/10th of a mile. All the points have a short 'here's what you'll find' and even 95% of those are still accurate.

Fred

Thank you, Fred! I'll chase down that map. First time I've heard of it, and thanks over-and-over. Will run GE, too. "Fly the Rogue" you say? I've been using Google Earth since I don't remember when and hadn't heard of that trick before now, either.

I don't know that I'll fish the Rogue this year. I'm thinking I just want to check it out and scout around.

(Total bullpoo. I can't get within a mile of fishable water and not start fishing. I may as well admit it.)

Good tips and I aprreciate them.

Last edited:
F
fredaevans
If you fish the Chetco I have an older map that's dead on as to public access. The best (regreatably) now requires your camping/RV'ing/friend at "AtRiver'sEdge' 1.5 miles up from the mouth of the river. They have about 1,500 feet of premo water they 'control.' (Morris Rock is right across the river if memory serves.) Tide going out (tide goes this high) and BOOONNNNZZZZAAAA for winter steelhead fishing.

Kings tend to hold to the far side of the river so a loooong cast with a fly rod. Steelhead will be close to your wet boots.

T
Tinker
Thanks, Fred. I haven't been to the Chetco for fishing - frankly, 101 just south of Prot Orford freaks me out a little - but it's on my list. I'll look at it more closely, now.

F
fredaevans
Tinker said:
Thanks, Fred. I haven't been to the Chetco for fishing - frankly, 101 just south of Prot Orford freaks me out a little - but it's on my list. I'll look at it more closely, now.

Even when I lived up in the Seattle area we had 'Guy's Week' from California, Washington and Oregon. We'd fish with Denny Hanna and his son on the Elk/Sixes. Biggest Steelhead I've ever landed came out of the Six. 28# pounds, only one even close to that in all the years with a rod in my hand.

Moved to Santa Rosa, CA in mid-1984 and would make that drive up to those two rivers ... you had to drive right over the Chetco ... and never gave it a thought. Until one trip where I had a motor problem and had to turn the car into an auto repair shop. 4-6 days to get the parts (or something like that as it was an Japanese brand).

No where to go so rented a car, checked into a motel, called my office and I'll be late getting back, tell everyone, etc. There are times when "It's good to be King." My first intro to that river; never went past Brookings after. Even had my second homes there until I moved to Medford in 1995/6. Then it was a motor home at an RV park (AtRiver'sEdge).

Know what you mean about 101 from (A)Bandon down; some parts of that are a bit dodgie even in a car. In a MH, even more so if you're not 'comfortable' with that kind of drive. There are a few bits of '199' from Grants Pass to the coast that have high pucker factors if your MH/toad is at about 50 feet long. Road was originally built as a military road (along the North Fork of the Smith River) and they blasted out 'just enough.' :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

T
Tinker
fredaevans said:
Even when I lived up in the Seattle area we had 'Guy's Week' from California, Washington and Oregon. We'd fish with Denny Hanna and his son on the Elk/Sixes. Biggest Steelhead I've ever landed came out of the Six. 28# pounds, only one even close to that in all the years with a rod in my hand.

Know what you mean about 101 from (A)Bandon down; some parts of that are a bit dodgie even in a car. In a MH, even more so if you're not 'comfortable' with that kind of drive. There are a few bits of '199' from Grants Pass to the coast that have high pucker factors if your MH/toad is at about 50 feet long. Road was originally built as a military road (along the North Fork of the Smith River) and they blasted out 'just enough.' :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

:D:D

We drove into Bandon in the MH by coming over on 42S. The lanes are a foot more narrow than the MH, and that still has me goosed and spooky. I don't mind the drop-offs on 101, but I prefer the road work with me, not fight me tooth-and-nail.

Tried the Sixes this weekend and caught a tree limb. It was a really big tree limb, but sadly, it was a wild native and I had to release it.