Clear Lake Mt. Hood 5/8-5/10

T
trouthunter
Spent 3 days fishing at Clear Lake on Mt. Hood the weather was nice a little windy,
The snow is all but gone . The fish were biting I caught at least 30 Brook Trout 4 of
which were my breakfast for two mornings. I caught around around a hundred Rainbows
most of which were in the 12" to 13" inch range. the best ones were 2 24" Rainbows that
I kept and 3 more about the same size which I released. I lost 3 more to the stumps in the
lake :( I was using Berkley Power eggs and also throwing a silver kastmaster. I had a great
couple days relaxing and fishing. 2222222222222222.jpg 4444444444444444.jpg

Reactions: Irishrover
T
tnffishman
Fishing is great up there if you get in before they stock it. Was up there yesterday myself and got 6 fish in 7 hours off my pontoon. They were few and far between but the quality made up for it

T
trouthunter
tnffishman said:
Fishing is great up there if you get in before they stock it. Was up there yesterday myself and got 6 fish in 7 hours off my pontoon. They were few and far between but the quality made up for it

I was fishing the North East arm of the lake fishing only about 60 feet off the bank with my boat. Thursday night there was a hatch and they were feeding most of the
night I could here then jumping still at 2 in the morning made it hard to get to sleep with all them fish jumping it was like they were calling me. The bite was not as good
yesterday because of the bug hatch plus all day yesterday them big carpenter ants were flying out into the water and the trout were feeding on them even though I still
caught at least 30 trout on Friday, and a nice lobster sunburn to go with it.

T
tnffishman
trouthunter said:
I was fishing the North East arm of the lake fishing only about 60 feet off the bank with my boat. Thursday night there was a hatch and they were feeding most of the
night I could here then jumping still at 2 in the morning made it hard to get to sleep with all them fish jumping it was like they were calling me. The bite was not as good
yesterday because of the bug hatch plus all day yesterday them big carpenter ants were flying out into the water and the trout were feeding on them even though I still
caught at least 30 trout on Friday, and a nice lobster sunburn to go with it.
Yeah I got there around 1 and they were nailing those ants. I caught most of my fish on black flies when they were jumping like that. When the wind picked up I didn't do too much

Irishrover
Irishrover
Sounds like you had a great time. I need to stop by and fish there instead of driving by it to hit lakes further to the east. Nice report.

O
OnTheFly
Nice report and great fish! On a Clear Lake fishing trip, I never leave home without an assortment of callibaetis flies. When the duns appear, the trout will absolutely go nuts on Comparaduns on top water. Killer searching flies include #10 olive or black Crystal buggers and Zug Bugs. Late afternoon when the sun gets low and the air gets still, the Midge will be out and trout will not be able to resist a Griffith Gnat. You guys have sparked my interest. I'll be there next Saturday fishing the furthest west arm. Jabs are you listening?

Reactions: Irishrover