Air travel and fishing gear

J
jrbecca
In August, I'm traveling to Wyoming for a fly fishing marathon. Because of it's location, it looks like air travel is a must. What advice do you have for traveling with fishing gear? Travel case recommendations for my rod and reel? Can flies be carried on or must they be checked? Tips for bringing along the other necessary accoutrement?

I'll also be traveling with my youngest (he'll be almost four months at the time), so getting both of us there and all the equipment with as few headaches as possible is a must.

C_Run
C_Run
I flew with fishing gear in December and was worried about carrying "large hooks" which are mentioned in the TSA guidelines. I couldn't find out online what "large" was and saw conflicting posts by travelers. I painstakingly removed all the hooks from my lures and put them in a separate container in case they were going to get confiscated at the gate since we only had carry-ons. When I got to the gate at PDX if fessed up about the hooks. They said "fish hooks are no problem, we see them every day."

S
Spydeyrch
There is an Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast with/by Tom Rosenbauer specifically about traveling with fishing gear, mainly fly rods and fly gear. I think that there are actually a few of them or at least he addresses the concern several times in his fly box segment.

You should listen to them! Great podcasts!!

-Spydey

P.S. Good to see ya back on OFF!!! :clap:

troutdude
troutdude
Congrats momma! Have fun on your trip. We'll look forward, to your report.

J
john montana
I travel relatively regularly for work, and always carry a fly rod. I have been known to crawl on hands and knees on front of resorts while wearing a suit and tie to catch a grass carp...got caught stripping down out of my suit once in a customers parking lot so I could hit the beach I. San Diego for some surf perch once as well...hah. I have had zero issues with gear. I try to use a smaller fly rod case (3 or 4 piece fly rod max) and if I carry multiple rods I duct tape them together so it is basically one item. I NEVER check my reels or rods. I carry those on every time. Worst case if my bags get lost, I have a rod and reel with me. I usually keep a small fly box in my carry on as well.

The key is to go light. Avoid waders and boots if you can (I wet wade mostly). It really isn't bad...just don't tryto carry a two piece rod through security...tougher to get those suckers in the overhead bin!

By the way, I have been traveling with my two kids and fly fishing stuff since they were born. The only really tough thing is adding in a car seat. If possible, rent one from a rental car agency at destination. The fly gear is pretty easy to manage but the big car seats are a nightmare. If you need waders, boots, etc. just pack one checked bag with all of that stuff, but carry rods and reels on the plane.

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
john montana said:
I travel relatively regularly for work, and always carry a fly rod. I have been known to crawl on hands and knees on front of resorts while wearing a suit and tie to catch a grass carp...got caught stripping down out of my suit once in a customers parking lot so I could hit the beach I. San Diego for some surf perch once as well...hah. I have had zero issues with gear. I try to use a smaller fly rod case (3 or 4 piece fly rod max) and if I carry multiple rods I duct tape them together so it is basically one item. I NEVER check my reels or rods. I carry those on every time. Worst case if my bags get lost, I have a rod and reel with me. I usually keep a small fly box in my carry on as well.

The key is to go light. Avoid waders and boots if you can (I wet wade mostly). It really isn't bad...just don't tryto carry a two piece rod through security...tougher to get those suckers in the overhead bin!

By the way, I have been traveling with my two kids and fly fishing stuff since they were born. The only really tough thing is adding in a car seat. If possible, rent one from a rental car agency at destination. The fly gear is pretty easy to manage but the big car seats are a nightmare. If you need waders, boots, etc. just pack one checked bag with all of that stuff, but carry rods and reels on the plane.

:clap:

Great advice there JM!! I will have to remember it when I travel with my kids. :think: :D

:clap:

-Spydey

F
Fast Eddie
I flew with a fly rod out of Eugene and Salt Lake about a month ago and did not have any issues. I carried on my rod and reel and stored it in the overhead bin. I would recommend taking a 4 piece rod. I checked the rest of my gear but I did take some flies on the plane and they did not say anything in security. I also wrapped my rod and reel in the case so they were a little more secure. I can't think of a better way to ruin a rod other than a car door than to check it unless you have a bomber case. They are so light I can just see the baggage handlers throwing them around or putting heavy bags on top of it.

K
Kellyannam
There are some cases on Orvis right now on sale: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3P4P
Cheaper one at Bass Pro: http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Tri-Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Case/product/10205729/

When I flew my spinning rods down from Alaska, I just wrapped them in bubble wrap and put them in my ski bag with my skis. They were fine upon arrival. But I know some people treat their rods a little better than that.

As for traveling with kids, I don't have any so I don't have too much advice, but my grandma would put alcohol under my lip (usually whiskey) if I became fussy on the flight (you can buy whiskey on most airlines). My cousin just keeps her daughter awake all night before she flys and doesn't let her take a nap in the morning, then they both sleep on the plane. I like the whiskey idea better. I guess another idea would be to use one of those frontal baby carriers and strap him in so that when you are carrying luggage or getting luggage off the baggage belt, you have both hands free (I'm talking about one of these things, if that sounds confusing http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Swi...8&qid=1367525741&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+carrier ). Good luck, sounds like fun!

O
OnTheFly
Some places, especially overseas flights, get weird about felt soles on wading boots. Wyoming, probably not, but if you're packing felt it wouldn't hurt to check on it. Oh and Kellyannam, I think the song goes 'Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses'.;)

Chromatose
Chromatose
Since I take way to much gear, I have found it easier to Ship it via USPS or UPS. Cheaper in the long run and I do not have to down size.
PVC Tubes, and Tupperware Bins are my best friends..........OH yeah and Duct tape.....

Have Yourself a Blast!!!

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I would be very reluctant to use whiskey to subdue a child of any age, especially one so young. If you are seen using this method or someone smells whiskey on a 4 month old baby, I would bet a hefty amount that you would not only end up in custody but also loose custody of your children. Just sayin'.

Reactions: john montana
S
Spydeyrch
Chromatose said:
Since I take way to much gear, I have found it easier to Ship it via USPS or UPS. Cheaper in the long run and I do not have to down size.
PVC Tubes, and Tupperware Bins are my best friends..........OH yeah and Duct tape.....

Have Yourself a Blast!!!

That's an awesome idea!!!!

-Spydey

18406ej
18406ej
JR,

I once needed to get my 10' 6" rod (1 piece) from Portland to Kentucky for a Steelhead Triathlon. Since I didn't think that the airline would accept my equipment as a carry-on, I went to Petco and purchased one of those "Service Dog" vests that are worn by animals with more intelligence and patience than you and I together couldn't match. Just as I expected I had no difficulty walking right onto the airplane (except for the 90 degree turn one has to make when stepping inside of the cabin) as long as my rod had its special vest on. The flight attendant bumped two passengers from First Class down to Coach to accommodate me and my special attendant's extra legroom requirements, and later in the flight me and the rod were invited up into the cockpit where we were allowed to sit on the Captain's lap before being issued our own clip-on pilot's wings.

I didn't read where you were asking about ways to dope up your infant before the flight, but I will share that our own pediatrician (himself a parent) who is extremely conservative in recommending ANY medication did tell us that a very small dose of a children's cold medicine or decongestant goes a long way.

Alaskanite Kellyannam (always a source of useful practical advice) mentions the classic whiskey-lip rub, but being a child raised in an Irish family I can tell you that my mother's endearing habit of tossing a tumbler of Irish Dew down the nearest child's throat to treat a possible cold, suspected scoliosis or mystery malaria did more harm than good. Not only does just the smell of whiskey make me ill even today, but doctors have suggested that the death of so many brain cells in my youth have led to the posting of responses such as the one penned above.

Your friend,

Eamon

J
jrbecca
Thank you for the great advice, everyone! You've given me more than a few ideas on how to get my fly fishing gear over there as damage-free as possible. As for the wee one, I think I'll avoid the whiskey. Having flown cross-country mutiple times with small children, really, a nearly four-month old infant should travel exceptionally well. Any fussiness or anxiety should be easily remedied by nursing.

Now, what experience do you have with children and wading? Some of the terrain I can travel along shore. Some I cannot. But I do know that I'll have my son in a carrier most of the time. There are people there who have already offered assistance watching after him. For those who have fished with very small children--what techniques do you use? Safety measures?

Great reminders about regulations concerning felt-soled waders. It's not something I spend a great deal of time actively considering here, given that while I've fished multiple watersheds, I've only waded into one. While I'm flying into Montana to meet up with the friends who are the organizers of this yearly event, the actual marathon will take place in the Gray's River in Wyoming.

And because of the location of the event...we're camping! So, in addition to the supplies needed to fish, and care for the little man, we can add camping gear to the mix. I'm still trying to work out what exactly I should bring in this regard, in addition to how to pack as efficiently as possible.

When I've informed family and friends about what me and the little man will be doing, I either receive great support, or looks that indicate I may be completely insane. Perhaps there's truth in both. ;)

J
john montana
I carried my kids around for years in a Kelty backpack. They loved it. You might want to look for one of those, co for table for the kids (mine used to fall asleep in that thing) and easy to wear.

Sounds like a great experience!