Canby Pond gives up some pounders

J
J4excellence
Hit Canby Pond just as the gate opened at 6:00 am on March 16th, 2013. Made my first cast of powerbait off the bottom at around 6:30 am--it was just light enough to see where I was casting. Bingo, I had a fish on in just a few minutes and this continued until around 7:30. By then I had 4 nice keepers, but by now it was full daylight. Some other people showed up and started bobber fishing on the other side of the pond. I noticed the action slowed considerable and it was after 8:00 before I landed my last fish. I watched from my car for another hour while making a cell phone call and only saw 2 other fish caught by the 20 or so folks who had started fishing by then.

While the weeds are an issue at Canby Pond, I still recommend the bottom over bobbers. The fish just seem to hang closer to the bottom. I think in such a shallow pond, they feel a bit safer there.

Thanks again to ODFW and community partners who provide fishing opportunities for kids and people with disabilities like myself. I get around in a wheelchair and places like Canby Pond are a great way for me to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I took the rest of the morning to explore St. Louis Ponds and was impressed by all the platforms, trails and docks they have installed there.

• Canby Pond 01 03.16.2013.jpg
  • Canby Pond 02 03.16.2013.jpg
O
OnTheDrop
Awesome. Good report. I remember going to the canby pond all the time when I was a kid and absolutely slayed them..Tight Lines

troutdude
troutdude
Nicely done J4!

T
troutmasta
Well done. Powerbait on the bottom is my favorite for harvesting trout.

M
Moe
Great job those are nice fish!