Early for chinook on the Sandy

Irishrover
Irishrover
It was such a darn nice day My oldest son and I took the drift boat down to Dabney and floated to Lewis & Clark. We were looking for that early spring chinook but no luck. The water level was perfect we didn't bump a rock all day long and no wind to boot. We spent five hours pulling k 14s with me on the oars. About two hours in I started missing my spey rod. It was actually a great day on the river we only saw two other boats on the river during the trip. That's not bad for the lower section, of course the reason is, it's too darn early for springers on the Sandy. My son did catch one native, it was a non fin clipped carp. You now you are getting your plugs deep when you start catching carp! We finished the day off at The Tippy Canoe with a shot of Jameson and a great burger. It sure is nice when your sons are grown and they still find time for a day on the river with the old man.;)

E
eugene1
Sounds like a great day out! I like getting the early fish too, but it means lots of unproductive trips. At least you had good company,

Best,

W
waco
Nice report I have been thinking of doing that float in search of that early springer! Maybe next week!

A
alm21
Definitely a great day on the water even if it was just to make some wake and soak the sun.

J
JeannaJigs
Anyday in a driftboat in good company is a good day on the water! There's been a whole 2 springers over the falls...so I'm pretty jealous of the northern half of the state at least getting a few trickling in. (unless it's just sketchy and you think you might crap your pants and then that's no fun...but any other time)

Reactions: eggs
Irishrover
Irishrover
It was a day well spent. Next trip I think I might bring along eggs and a bobber. That lower gauge hole has nice deep slow water that looks perfect for that setup. Actuallly there are a few more spots further down river to give that a shot. So many methods so much water. Those fish will come.

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Bobber and eggs are my favorite. Love me some bobber downs. I am so looking forward to fish arriving here.

J
jabs67
Nothing like getting out and spending the day with your son!! Pricless!!!! :cool:

Jeff

troutdude
troutdude
So, the moral of this story is...

that there really are such a beast, as...

Fin-Clipped Carp? LOL

Glad you had a great day out.

E
eugene1
JeannaJigs said:
unless it's just sketchy and you think you might crap your pants and then that's no fun...but any other time)

lol

J
JeannaJigs
eugene1 said:

That one day is still pretty fresh in my mind okay LOL. Haven't been in my boat since. I need to fix that.