Ling help

T
tomriker
as I sit here in the office tonight at work I can't help but think how delicious some lingcod would taste right now.. so Im thinking about going outside my comfort zone and fish for somthing new! I think i'd like to just go off the jetty in newport. what I read on Cruns thread was herring under a slip bobber? is that the route i might want to take? any other rigs i might try? also whens a good time to go? weatherwise? tidewise? thanks for any info y'all feel like divulging :)

T
the_intimidator03
You can also try some 2-4 oz jigheads with large plastic grubs and the like. The slip bobber is another good idea. As far as times... high and low tides are probably the best and weatherwise... when it wont kill ya is another good time. And while your on a jetty just remember the cover is at your feet not 50 ft out :)

J
JeannaJigs
We always used huge jigs with different grubs. Slack tide was best it seemed, otherwise it was a battle. Lots of snags, so take lots of gear and use heavy braid lol

Y
Yogidabear
I scuba dive that area all the time there are three finger jetties about half way down, fish both sides of the jetties casting straight out. if you fish down closer to the mouth fish along the jetty don't cast way out, because all that's out there is sand. most big lings hang out tucked back into the rocks, fishing things that are noisy attack them. many times while diving I will have them swim within 10 feet of my checking out what the noise is. speargun :)

T
tomriker
Sounds funn yogi! How deep is it off the jetty on average?

T
the_intimidator03
the newport jetty or those fingers he speaks of. Also there are some nice kelp greenling to be had off those fingers. Which are a mere morsel for ling cod... so bring a big net as you could get hitchhikers

Y
Yogidabear
about 30 to 35 feet 60 out near the mouth. depending on tide.

E
eugene1
tomriker said:
so Im thinking about going outside my comfort zone and fish for somthing new!

Dude, that's awesome! There are different kinds of fish in OR other than bass! I've used big jig heads with plastic (bass-like) twister tail lures for them. Not sure how big/oz's for the jetty but good luck to you! White colored grubs were good to us on bottom fish.

Best,

C_Run
C_Run
That one I posted was actually the first ling cod I ever got while actually fishing for ling cod. I've picked up a few with jigs while fishing for rockfish but usually they are small. Remember, 22" and watch out for the teeth. Anyway, I was following Coastal dweller's advice on how to rig the herring under a float with a mooching rig. Apparently, the ling cod aren't real picky about presentation since the herring just hangs there vertical and stationary . Bring a rod with some jigs for the rock fish. They are just another form of bass:). The good thing about the float was that it also preserves your rigs. Where I was fishing was extremely snaggy.

F
Finneus Polebender
The two I ever caught were on some local made lead head things essentially about an ounce lead head swimbait hook with a 3-4 " purple colored swimbait tail . You would like them because you tossem out to the sand then jig them back till ya get bit, snagged in the rocks, or retrieve it. Loose a lot but at least there is no stinky bait for everything else to peck at lol.

Last edited:
T
tomriker
but that's the fun part FP, never now what you might bring up with a stinky bait :)

F
Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:
but that's the fun part FP, never now what you might bring up with a stinky bait :)

True there , everything that swims out there will eat bait lol pretty much what crabbing is all about.

B
bythesea
for lings these are my go-to favorites.I allway's fish a 3/4 oz jig head no matter the water when fishing the jetties.also it seems they allway's grab hold first before taking the hole grub so I slack off a little for that next good hit I've had to many grubs bitten in half by pulling to soon. DSCN0212.jpg DSCN0038.jpg DSCN0047.jpg

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
bythesea said:
for lings these are my go-to favorites.I allway's fish a 3/4 oz jig head no matter the water when fishing the jetties.also it seems they allway's grab hold first before taking the hole grub so I slack off a little for that next good hit I've had to many grubs bitten in half by pulling to soon.

I'm curious if you've ever tried using a weedless bass jig with a trailer?

T
tomriker
Probably not big enough TT

B
bythesea
not sure they look like,,but if you wanted to fish it weedless I guess you could use a large worm hook w/a bullet sinker,???

C_Run
C_Run
bythesea said:
for lings these are my go-to favorites.I allway's fish a 3/4 oz jig head no matter the water when fishing the jetties.also it seems they allway's grab hold first before taking the hole grub so I slack off a little for that next good hit I've had to many grubs bitten in half by pulling to soon.

by the sea- you need to post some reports and revitalize the salt water section.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Catch a small Greenling, put an octopus hook through his head and throw him out there using him as live bait. Sooner or later a ling will grab it....but you didn't hear it from me :dance:

B
bythesea
C_Run said:
by the sea- you need to post some reports and revitalize the salt water section.

soon--very--soon,I've caught a few lings lately but to small about 3 more weeks the big females will come in.:cool:

T
tomriker
tell me when to go bythesea :)