Hebo lake camping/fishing

brandon4455
brandon4455
hey everyone, this next week i get to go camping with my best friends out at hebo, i plan on fishing the lake quite a bit when we are not messing around like stupid teenagers :lol: anyways, can anyone give me tips on some good places to fish and some general knowledge about this place? and do i need anything special or just regular trout gear? thanks for any input its much appriciated

brandon

R
RunWithSasquatch
Only time I have been there was when it was drained. I have seen a few pictures of trout coming out of there... hope to see a good report when you get back

M
Mbressler13
My best friend went up there with his dad and killed last year. It was towards the end of the summer when they went up. Just plain trout gear is what they used. Good luck and let us know how you do.

S
Spydeyrch
Hey Brandon,

Let us know how you do. I am planning on taking a troop of scouts up there for their April camp-out. It was either Hebo Lake (which costs to stay at!!! :shock:) or South lake which is just a few miles away and it is free to stay at (if you have your annual national forest pass :dance:).

I went to the library last night with my kids and checked out a few camping books to read up on Hebo. They mentioned that normal trout gear and work just fine so I would go with that.

-Spydey

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Brandon,

LilSalmom, BigSteel and I fished it, the weekend prior to the dredge work last season. While the topography of the bottom has likely changed...the hottest spot last year was the NW corner. It's to the far left as you drive into the campground (opposite the outlet and to the left).

Take worms, garlic scent and bobbers. But, other trout gear works too.

BTW, be ready for big hits. One fish VERY nearly absconded my 5' UL Lami, as it darn ripped it out of the holder!

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks everyone. looks like ill be there for 3-4 days starting next thursday im really excited about it. i think imma bring my 8wt even though its a bit big for trout.

B
BLACKJACK
Hebo is a nice little place to go camping and fishing. I do like it up there. I go up to the top where the Air Force radar base was, on a nice day you can see for miles. Hope your camping/fishing trip was enjoyable.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks, but i never made it. pretty much did nothing but play video games and uh.. well.. you know teenager stuff i will not talk about :lol: and eat a lot of food. i went steelhead fishing once and caught a trout and that was it.

B
Bad Tuna
I wonder if the bullheads in there survived?

brandon4455
brandon4455
quite possible if you think about it. those are some tough ass fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. I saw a dude w/ a NICE mess o' catfish late last summer. Hopefully some hunkered down, or at least their eggs survived in the mud.

L
lilsalmon
Sorry to rain on anyones parade but.....troutdude mentioned that we fished there a while back.....I ended up with all the fish caught and cleaned them in my kitchen at midnight....those were the nastiest fish I have ever cleaned. They were full of nightcrawlers and every color power bait that is made. It really turned my stomach towards hatchery fish in a pond (not all ponds). I think they are still at the back of my freezer. I hope the improvements have helped out the pond, course when you have such a small pond and too many people that is what happens. I hope all those pesky salamanders are gone also.....anyway, that's my 2 cents worth

W
wozniasm
Brandon;
I've been there several times and love to camp there but watch out for the Camp Nazi! He's the guy in uniform and jumps on any chance to give a ticket out if you park and procreastinate about getting a parking tag or campsite registered. When he cruises aroung the campground, he's peering at anyone camping with the meanest look I've seen other than my old man. He doesn't bbother anyone that I know of but don't park and comfortable with paying!!!
Try the far side of the lake from the entrance - either end. I prefer the end by the toolies.
I've had great results on PB on the bottom or fireballs under a bobber.

brandon4455
brandon4455
wozniasm said:
Brandon;
I've been there several times and love to camp there but watch out for the Camp Nazi! He's the guy in uniform and jumps on any chance to give a ticket out if you park and procreastinate about getting a parking tag or campsite registered. When he cruises aroung the campground, he's peering at anyone camping with the meanest look I've seen other than my old man. He doesn't bbother anyone that I know of but don't park and comfortable with paying!!!
Try the far side of the lake from the entrance - either end. I prefer the end by the toolies.
I've had great results on PB on the bottom or fireballs under a bobber.

thanks for the heads up on that. a bunch of teenagers doing uh.. tenager stuff would not make that guy happy. Lol.