Help....Best lures for spring pre spawn?

P
PARTYBOY
hey lookin for some tips on lures to use during pre-spawn...anybody?

S
SantiamDrifter
Your targeting winter steelhead?

Well when steelhead get into spawning mode, they become real aggresive. They will fight off anything that comes in their area. Think impact baits. Pink worms, spoons, spinners, plugs. Other things will still work, but impact baits can knock em dead.

W
waco
I think hes talking about bass!!! he posted on bass fishing in oregon section!!!! ;)

S
SantiamDrifter
:doh: Blonde moment!

F
Finneus Polebender
SantiamDrifter said:
:doh: Blonde moment!

LOL senkos and soft plastics rigged weedless " texas style" brush hogs ,strike king rodent,space monkey . and Yum chigger craws are good , oh and tube baits . just remember they will be in tight to the bank at first so if your bank fishin it pays to be reel sneaky.

T
tomriker
Finneus Polebender said:
just remember they will be in tight to the bank at first so if your bank fishin it pays to be reel sneaky.

ha, id like to see FP be sneeky like a creeper prowling around the bank looking for fish

S
sherman
I bet he goes out & practices that technique at the pond evey nite. he probably sneeks out late at night after his wife has gone to bed so no one will get wind of his secret.

F
Finneus Polebender
sherman said:
I bet he goes out & practices that technique at the pond evey nite. he probably sneeks out late at night after his wife has gone to bed so no one will get wind of his secret.

This ol bull in the china shop couldnt sneak up on anything I rely strictly on long casts . LOL I must admit though I have been known to haunt the pond way after dark.

C
colbypearson
it depends on where your fishing, theres things that always work and things that work every once in a while... for spring i feel like i need to use what i want to use and figure them out, its not so much as what theyre biting as much as if you can figure them out and put it in their face at the right time. i try to think about where they are gonna be when they are gonna be there and why i need to concentrate on this area.

M
Markcanby
Back in my LM days I would use salamanders tossed right up in the willows worked great.

F
Finneus Polebender
"im gettin good at this fishing $---
i might become a guide some day" shane LOL

Gonna have to change it to" magnetic steelhead guide " instead of steelhead magnet , thats awesome ! and Colby you left the rest of us in our boxes years ago , am excited to see a reel Bass man in action!

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
lol , im frusterated might be a nice break to get up there and catch some fish..... confidence level hasnt spiked yet this year it will im sure of that and it will stay with me all year but with this odd weather, the ways i prefer to fish are not the best approaches for this weather im a shy little pup now wait a month top dawg LMAO... been a long wait

P
PARTYBOY
thanks all for the tips they will be helpful

S
Slick
I like to search with lipless cranks. When I find some and they quit hitting that I switch to plastics and try to get the shy ones with those.

F
Finneus Polebender
colbypearson said:
lol , im frusterated might be a nice break to get up there and catch some fish..... confidence level hasnt spiked yet this year it will im sure of that and it will stay with me all year but with this odd weather, the ways i prefer to fish are not the best approaches for this weather im a shy little pup now wait a month top dawg LMAO... been a long wait

The trip to TRs should have you back on your game for sure , not to say that my place wont especially if we can get one warm blast before the event. Hope the tips help ya there PB you have posted nice fish in the past . Will never forget that first post though man you got ribbed ,and the pic was legit too , good luck and let us know how ya do.