Fly fishing vs. ????

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Jasony, in the future, do you think it possible to put your various responses and thoughts into one or two postings, instead of 4 back to back? I ask this solely from a readability standpoint - and also - it might be helpful to quote the post, or at least mention the author that you're replying to - to make it easier to understand who you're responding to.

If you're new to discussion forums - or other text-based communications - you might want to keep this in mind: Humor can sometimes be lost in text, since we can't hear the inflections, tone, or see your face through words. Sometimes attempts at humor really need to be verbal to "get" them - other times the 'joke' simply wasn't funny.

And you're right - you're entitled to your opinions about everything from the color of the sun, to the morality and ethics of running a 10/0 treble hook through a pod of native steelhead. Sometimes your opinion will be in the majority, sometimes it won't. THat's life on the 'net, eh? That said - you probably won't find a lot of sympathy saying that catch & release isn't ethical, or moral around here. I've never found a fishing forum where the membership held that viewpoint. You are totally within your rights to say that C&R is unethical and irresponsible - just as others have a right to say you're wrong.

One last friendly little tip, one forum member to another - it's often not wise to come into a forum and start stirring the pot right off the bat. The fine folks that run this forum are a lot more easy-going than the folks at other NW fishing forums - but the mods here still keep an eye on things - and they have been known to use the ban-hammer when someone's just gotten too far out of line. I'd hate to see that happen to someone so new around here. Welcome to OFF.

B
bigsteel
Jasony said:
looks like you need to find the learn how to take a joke forum. I love my dad and we have a lot of fun giving each other crap back and forth but he can take a joke, something you need to look into. Mabe look on the "open your mind to other typs of fishing forum". Ofcourse you use rubber hooks dipped in novacane, right, cause it would be so horrible if the fishy felt a little sting? Com-on dude I have a right to my opinions just as you do yours and isn't that why we're all here?

you wont be around here very long

M
markasd
I for one was hoping this thread wasn't going to go the way of the "you suck because you use feathers" type of discussion. Bummer. Thanks Jasony for takin' it there.
You were taught wrong. Hate to break it to ya. You claim you were taught that "the fly fisherman is morally superior and the only true sportsman.." thats just funny! BS to boot...
I hardly doubt your dad is trying to decipher text to understand your joke.. come on a forum of folks ya don't know and tell us we can't take a joke? there is no "sarcasm" font. We don't know your personality at all.
It seems to me you have it in your head that there is a difference between the two - the fly guy and the gear guy. In reading a majority of these posts it seems most folks are more about "fish on" than "look what I caught my fish on".

Good to hear that I am not the only person that uses multiple types of rigs - bobber n jig/bait, side drifting, plunking, spinning, or huckin' a fly. I love to catch fish on hook n line.

Reactions: Markcanby and bigsteel
Irishrover
Irishrover
Jasony welcome to the forum. It was obvious as you said you were trying to stir the pot "ha ha ha! I knew I could get a rise out of you feather flingers". If that's what you like to do then have at it. I'm sure folks will raise to the bait. It appeares like I'm looking at the worm right now.:) Seriously I thought Hawgin had a good question and deserved a real answer. I like Markasd hated to see this thread turn into a feather vs worm fight.

When you started your post with....."I was a fly fisherman until i was twelve then i opened my mind and evolved into a fish slaying maniac. If snagging was legal I would drag 10-0 treble hooks through every hole in the northwest".....I did crack up because I knew you were having some fun trying to light the fire. The problem is there are too many switch hitter on this forum. There are lots of guys here who fish gear, bait and flies. The strickly fly guys on this forum all tend to be down to earth regular guys who I enjoy fishing with.

When you made your comment about the cheese and wine I did get a good laugh out
of that.:lol: I was picturing the group of us that met up at Trillium Lake last September sitting around the camp fire. The cheese was on the cheeseburgers, the wine was Millers High Life, and the deli crackers were potato chips. The poor folks we were talking about were us.:lol: It's hard to feel like a snob when you pull up to the lake in a 14 year old Ford pick up with a dented tail gate.;)

I think it's great that you fish with your dad. I do the same and yes we do give each other a jab when possible. We keep the jabs to ourself and never disrespect one another. He is a gear fisherman only, and at 84 still puts the ink on his tag. I'm glad you and your Dad find time to spend time on the water together, it's a good thing.

I attached a picture of Irishrover Sr with a fresh silver he caught on gear, and a picture of Irishrover IV (Grandson) with the first fish he ever caught. It was with a fly . Both of these day were great days on the water, and it doesn't matter what method they used, good memories were made. I also posted a picture of my wife who is a fish slayer with gear and or fly rod.

I hope you stick around and enjoy the forum. This place leans more toward helping each other out and having fun. So don't be intimidated by some of us just because we swing a fly now and then.;) As for not over killing fish on the river, well I must say I'm doing my part. Heck I haven't even threatened a steelhead in the last three years while using my spey rod, and that's what the origingal poster was asking about.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: GDBrown and Markcanby
O
OnTheFly
Good times. Hey are they handing out OFF member Tee shirts now???;)

Y
Yohan
Hahaha... I had a fealing this thread was gonna go this way...

All I gotta say is a kept fish has a 100% mortality rate and a released fish has a mortality rate less than 100%. Therefore, bonk hatchery fish and release wild fish... pretty simple.

Reactions: Markcanby
T
Troutier Bassier
I always fish with a fly rod, but not always with a fly. I use jig's too.

H
hawgin
post 44, well put! lets play nice! I look forward to catching my first fish on a fly rod. I have been talking with some people and looking through posts here, and it does seem quite involved but rewarding at the same time! I don't have a spey rod but the rod I have, I was told is very nice its older and came with 2 piece case made of wood. I wish I knew who made it??? If anyone is a guru or knows one let me know I would like to have someone look at it! Thanks Josh

Reactions: Markcanby
H
hawgin
Oh another question, is a spey rod the only fly rod type that can land a stealhead reason I ask I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing the fly rod I acquired is a wet noodle my buddy said it would land a bigger fish and another buddy said it was mainly for trout??? I could take a picture and post it but I don't know if anyone would be able to tell?

M
Markcanby
Hey Hawgin Spey is more a form of casting with a special 2 hand rod. You can use anything from 6 to 10wt rod depending on the water. I use a 6wt an a 8wt but I can't tell you witch is better as Im am like Irish dont have top worry about mortality tell after you hook one.

J
Jasony
Irishrover said:
Jasony welcome to the forum. It was obvious as you said you were trying to stir the pot "ha ha ha! I knew I could get a rise out of you feather flingers". If that's what you like to do then have at it. I'm sure folks will raise to the bait. It appeares like I'm looking at the worm right now.:) Seriously I thought Hawgin had a good question and deserved a real answer. I like Markasd hated to see this thread turn into a feather vs worm fight.

When you started your post with....."I was a fly fisherman until i was twelve then i opened my mind and evolved into a fish slaying maniac. If snagging was legal I would drag 10-0 treble hooks through every hole in the northwest".....I did crack up because I knew you were having some fun trying to light the fire. The problem is there are too many switch hitter on this forum. There are lots of guys here who fish gear, bait and flies. The strickly fly guys on this forum all tend to be down to earth regular guys who I enjoy fishing with.

When you made your comment about the cheese and wine I did get a good laugh out
of that.:lol: I was picturing the group of us that met up at Trillium Lake last September sitting around the camp fire. The cheese was on the cheeseburgers, the wine was Millers High Life, and the deli crackers were potato chips. The poor folks we were talking about were us.:lol: It's hard to feel like a snob when you pull up to the lake in a 14 year old Ford pick up with a dented tail gate.;)

I think it's great that you fish with your dad. I do the same and yes we do give each other a jab when possible. We keep the jabs to ourself and never disrespect one another. He is a gear fisherman only, and at 84 still puts the ink on his tag. I'm glad you and your Dad find time to spend time on the water together, it's a good thing.

I attached a picture of Irishrover Sr with a fresh silver he caught on gear, and a picture of Irishrover IV (Grandson) with the first fish he ever caught. It was with a fly . Both of these day were great days on the water, and it doesn't matter what method they used, good memories were made. I also posted a picture of my wife who is a fish slayer with gear and or fly rod.

I hope you stick around and enjoy the forum. This place leans more toward helping each other out and having fun. So don't be intimidated by some of us just because we swing a fly now and then.;) As for not over killing fish on the river, well I must say I'm doing my part. Heck I haven't even threatened a steelhead in the last three years while using my spey rod, and that's what the origingal poster was asking about.:)

well i guess the pott stirring got a little out of hand. I admit to being a 1/2 Italian, 1/4 Irish, 1/8 german, 1/8 comanche native american bone headed son-of-a-gun. I AM TRUTHFULLY AND HONESTLY VERY SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE WITH IN THESE WALLS OF TRUST. I grew up listening to fly fisherman trash on "bait huckers" and such. I really honestly dont harbor any miscontent with anyone,but at the same time i dont appreciat someone looking down their nose when I slip one in the krel either. If this sight chooses to ban me because I don't uphold the popular opinions then you might rename the sight to "the fishing forum for people who want to uphold the popular opinions" because we don't want no real debate forum. I'll share my unpopular feeling somewhere else.
Jasony
ps, I never snagged a samanoid in my life.

H
hawgin
No worries

J
Jasony
markasd said:
I for one was hoping this thread wasn't going to go the way of the "you suck because you use feathers" type of discussion. Bummer. Thanks Jasony for takin' it there.
You were taught wrong. Hate to break it to ya. You claim you were taught that "the fly fisherman is morally superior and the only true sportsman.." thats just funny! BS to boot...
I hardly doubt your dad is trying to decipher text to understand your joke.. come on a forum of folks ya don't know and tell us we can't take a joke? there is no "sarcasm" font. We don't know your personality at all.
It seems to me you have it in your head that there is a difference between the two - the fly guy and the gear guy. In reading a majority of these posts it seems most folks are more about "fish on" than "look what I caught my fish on".

Good to hear that I am not the only person that uses multiple types of rigs - bobber n jig/bait, side drifting, plunking, spinning, or huckin' a fly. I love to catch fish on hook n line.

I like that, something positive after a good, sound ass chewing. well I'm sorry if I let something like that fester inside until it came out like that. It's a good thing it came out here...i mean, i've been in ironworker for twenty years. In my twenties me and my buddies thought it was funny if you could sneek up on your buddy and blindside him with a knock out blow. We called that counting coup. I guess that many years dripping blood on bridges kind of hardens a guy. Please forgive me. My sensitivity in these kind of social situations needs a little work.
yours truely,
jasony

J
Jasony
Jasony said:
well i guess the pott stirring got a little out of hand. I admit to being a 1/2 Italian, 1/4 Irish, 1/8 german, 1/8 comanche native american bone headed son-of-a-gun. I AM TRUTHFULLY AND HONESTLY VERY SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE WITH IN THESE WALLS OF TRUST. I grew up listening to fly fisherman trash on "bait huckers" and such. I really honestly dont harbor any miscontent with anyone,but at the same time i dont appreciat someone looking down their nose when I slip one in the krel either. If this sight chooses to ban me because I don't uphold the popular opinions then you might rename the sight to "the fishing forum for people who want to uphold the popular opinions" because we don't want no real debate forum. I'll share my unpopular feeling somewhere else.
Jasony
ps, I never snagged a samanoid in my life.

ok ok, i'll settle down.

J
Jasony
GungasUncle said:
Hey Jasony, in the future, do you think it possible to put your various responses and thoughts into one or two postings, instead of 4 back to back? I ask this solely from a readability standpoint - and also - it might be helpful to quote the post, or at least mention the author that you're replying to - to make it easier to understand who you're responding to.

If you're new to discussion forums - or other text-based communications - you might want to keep this in mind: Humor can sometimes be lost in text, since we can't hear the inflections, tone, or see your face through words. Sometimes attempts at humor really need to be verbal to "get" them - other times the 'joke' simply wasn't funny.

And you're right - you're entitled to your opinions about everything from the color of the sun, to the morality and ethics of running a 10/0 treble hook through a pod of native steelhead. Sometimes your opinion will be in the majority, sometimes it won't. THat's life on the 'net, eh? That said - you probably won't find a lot of sympathy saying that catch & release isn't ethical, or moral around here. I've never found a fishing forum where the membership held that viewpoint. You are totally within your rights to say that C&R is unethical and irresponsible - just as others have a right to say you're wrong.

One last friendly little tip, one forum member to another - it's often not wise to come into a forum and start stirring the pot right off the bat. The fine folks that run this forum are a lot more easy-going than the folks at other NW fishing forums - but the mods here still keep an eye on things - and they have been known to use the ban-hammer when someone's just gotten too far out of line. I'd hate to see that happen to someone so new around here. Welcome to OFF.

Thank you for your imput gugasuncle, I just figured out the "with a quote " thing. I am sorry if i offended you or anyone else. I think it is a healthy thing for all of us to appriciate and learn all points of view. every point of view has a phylosophy. Every phylosophy doesn't necisisarily have a point of veiw. Anouther words there are few people that go out and taste life and then choose for themselves, but there are a lot of people that take the popular path so they don't have to make real, informed decisions...know what I mean?

J
Jasony
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Jason,
No worries man. Just would hate to see a new member get toasted. Everyone has different experiences, opinions, and ideas. Kind of what makes life, the internet, and Bingo fun. :p

Not sure I'd be terribly thrilled with someone coming up and cold cocking me from behind. I'm sort of an evil cuss, and payback for me would probably be illegal in 47 states (or 57 if you're the President...) I'd probably have to get strange things like motor oil, rattlesnakes, and women of ill repute involved in such schemes.

You might've gotten off to a rough start, but that's okay. Stick around and enjoy the show - or make the show enjoyable - or both. :)

G
GDBrown
Jason, What shift are you working? Man I just can't stay online that long at one time!

I think I'll go fishing this morning with both a fly rod and my ultralight.... You never know what might work best.

For my C&R time I use barbless nooks and fly fish only. Bait is saved for stockers I want to eat.

GD