Redington subzero hybrid waders - thoughts?

S
Spydeyrch
Have any of you heard of or seen the Redington SubZero hybrid waders? I have a pair of waders but would like something a little warmer for winter water fishing. I saw these and the price isn't too bad. I am just not sure about the whole "hybrid" aspect of it. The price doesn't seem to be too bad for what is being offered. :think:

Apparently the upper section is the typical gore-tex/waterproof fabric but the lower section is 4mm & 5mm neoprene. Take a look at the pics and the site.

What do you think? Have you used them? Were they any good? What are the pros/cons? If you haven't used them, what are your initial thoughts about them based upon just the info presented by Redington? Would it be worth it? :think:

Redington SubZero 1.png

Redington SubZero 2.png

Redington SubZero 3.png

Take care y'all.

-Spydey

H
halibuthitman
Spydey, I personaly wouldn't buy ANYTHING made by Redington... Over the years I have spent hundreds of hours with hundreds of fishermen, and Ive seen so much gear fail on trips.. ruining it for the poor people... I can say with no doubt whatsoever that Redington brand clothing is by far the poorest qaulity for the money hands down, not even a close competitor in the industry... I just wanted to put this out there for you. Many are gonna come on here and comment how great the redington stuff is.. but these waders look like 20 problems just waiting to happen- Brad

T
Trout-tacular!
They're not getting a favorable vote on their site that's for sure. 2.48 out of 5 stars, ouch. Of course that's only voting, I didn't really see any written review to follow any of that.

For me, for $300, you can't beat a good base layer system (capilene, smartwool etc) with a known solid pair of waders.

I won't want to be the guinea pig on something like waders in a cold stream on a blistering winter day.

18406ej
18406ej
I have to agree with Halibuthitman (unfortunately). Redington is a product that does look good on the shelves and has an attractive price. Unfortunately this is a case of false economy. I have purchased Redington waders before and experienced a very short product lifespan. Then I shelled out a bit more for a brand of breathables with a known reputation for quality and they have lasted for years.

When I first started angling about ten years ago I purchased neoprene waders because I didn't know better. I wore them in the summer and found that the area of least comfort was from the thigh down due to perspiration (mine). You are probably familiar with the comfort of layering in winter beneath the breathable waders. You retain warmth and dryness, even if you have to hike a long distance. The incorporation of neoprene in the leg of a hybrid wader is probably the worst place to use that suffocating product.

If you are rich, the novelty of a hybrid wader might be an interesting addition to your collection. Of course you didn't get rich by spending frivolously on items of questionable quality, did you? You should instead be giving your money away to the poor, which is me.

Sincerely,

E

O
OnTheFly
Spydey, the weekend before last, I was fishing with a couple buddies on the Metolius. The morning temperature was 12 degrees. Casting and retrieving was out of the question because your line would freeze to the guides in minutes. When I changed my streamer there on the bank, it froze solid in the time it took to tie the new one on. I was layered up top but all I wore under my breathable waders were fleece pants designed for that type of wader and I was fine.

S
Spydeyrch
Wow, great fee back guys. :clap: Thanks very much! I have never owned any Redington products and the thought of a hybrid wader was intriguing. But now that you mention the whole neoprene sweaty thing, yeah, I wouldn't like that. I used neo for when I was diving and when I started fishing again a few years back. They were nice and warm but man were they heavy and made me sweat!! :confused:

I am going to have to look into another pair of waders.

Any recommendations?

And no EJ, I am not rich by any means. I have 4 kids .... and a wife ..... enough said. :D hahahahaha :lol:

@ OTF, which fleece pants do you use? For my bottom layering the winter, I usually use a base layer of polartec (REI), then some thin layered warmup/running pants, then my fleece wading pants, then my waders. For really cold days, I guess that I could put on a pair of my wool pants over my fleece pants then my waders. :think: But the wool pants are very thick and very heavy. Nice and toasty but heavy to lug around all day. I don't seem to get cold in my base layer/running pants/fleece pants/waders layer system but then again, I haven't been fishing in conditions yet like the ones that you mentioned with 12 degree weather. Yikes!! :confused: I think that I need to change my fleece wading pants. They seem to be getting a little thin and the fleece is pilling. :think: Any recommendations? :D

Thanks everyone for the input and recommendations.

-Spydey

P.S. What are your thoughts about these "sonic sealed" waders? They seem to be more of a gimick than a practical way to seal seams. Orvis and redington both sell waders with "sonic seams".

P.P.S. See Brad, I can take advise and not rely on bi-mart/wally-mart employee advise. :D hahahahaha

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
I dont know much about this particular wader but I use the redington sonic seam and i would put them up against any 600 dollar pair of simms,

S
Spydeyrch
bigsteel said:
I dont know much about this particular wader but I use the redington sonic seam and i would put them up against any 600 dollar pair of simms,

Interesting .... :think: ..... How long have you had those waders Dave? Can they take a beating? No issues with the seams at all?

I will have to check them out and see if I like them. What do they run, like $280? :D

Thanks! :D

-Spydey

B
bigsteel
ive had them a couple years now i believe and i havnt had 1 issue with the seems or anything,im not sure what i paid but it was around 260,i have put a lot of miles on them

S
Spydeyrch
bigsteel said:
ive had them a couple years now i believe and i havnt had 1 issue with the seems or anything,im not sure what i paid but it was around 260,i have put a lot of miles on them

Nice! :D Thanks for the info Dave. I appreciate it.

-Spydey

P.S. What about cold climate situations?

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Spydeyrch said:
@ OTF, which fleece pants do you use?. I don't seem to get cold in my base layer/running pants/fleece pants/waders layer system
I consider myself susceptible to the cold. So much so that I usually layer up too much then need to reduce. My day pack doubles as a cloths hamper sometimes. Unless I am sitting in a float tube for hours at Harriet Lake I only need the fleeces under my waders. I suppose there were times I used polypropylene under the fleeces but not anymore. I fit well into a medium Simms so bulking up underneath feels constricting and uncomfortable. As long as you keep your upper body and head warm, your legs won't mind.

Any flyshop will sell good quality under garments for breathables that are designed to wick off perspiration and keep you warm. My wife found a pair for me out of some fishing catalog and the only ID on it says Wind River. I have no idea if these are quality or not but they seem like it.

S
Spydeyrch
OnTheFly said:
Any flyshop will sell good quality under garments for breathables that are designed to wick off perspiration and keep you warm. My wife found a pair for me out of some fishing catalog and the only ID on it says Wind River. I have no idea if these are quality or not but they seem like it.

I think that Wind River comes from Bass Pro Shop. :think:

-Spydey