Well....another day, another skunk...

B
Bgunder
Got up to the North Fork of the Alsea about six this morning, the drive over from Springfield was a very foggy one plus a little ice on the road once I got on philomath highway.Started below the hatchery and fished around there for a while but with how low the water is there aren't many places for the fishies to hide so I decided to leave the N. fork and head down river.Stopped at a few pullouts and parks on my way down river saw a group of guys walk out from mill creek park with two fish, but nada for me.Drove all the way down to tidewater then turned around and fished a few more spots on my way back upriver.Ended up dropping back by the hatchery to see if the bridge hole was open(which it wasn't) so i went back below the hatchery and screwed around for a while even though my chances were slim,I did end up taking advantage of the low water by collecting some gear for myself:)All in all I got 2 blue foxes,a mister twister surefisher(looks like a mini kast master), 4 jigs, a few beads that just happened to catch my eye, and 2 floats.Not a bad haul but would have traded it all in a milli-second for even one small chromer.By the end of the day I had been at it for 8+ hours and was tired and very very frustrated, Going fishing for steelies as many times as I have from last winter through the summer and into this winter usually putting at least 5 hours in each time and never having anything to show for it gets really really old.Granted I did make the mistake this time of not bringing any smaller leader line then 8 pound maxima I still feel like I should have gotten into a fish in one of the places I fished.If anyone who float fishes(or any other style for steelhead as I would like to learn more on them too) in my area wouldn't mind letting me tag along with them(you don't have to show me any of your spots) or meet them somewhere I would just like to fish with someone who knows they are doing it the right way so they can watch me and see what I am doing wrong cause at this point I am stumped.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
PM sent

jamisonace
jamisonace
Tired and frustrated......been there done that....many times. Good luck out there.

S
Scott M
Just keep at it! You might also want to find someplace closer to fish. Is the Willamette that bad?

B
Bgunder
There is no winter run on the willamette as far as I know, I think the closest rivers are the siuslaw, and then a few others that are around an hour and a half away including the Alsea

B
Bgunder
I didn't receive a pm

O
OnTheFly
A bass fisherman is a frustrated steelhead fisherman. Don't let that happen. Keep at it.:cool:

T
Tacomasteelheader
I personally think it has to do with being patient and fishing the correct water levels, alsea kinda low , and so is the slaw ...... I wouldnt mind some company on the siuslaw i might be going this upcoming monday or sunday. U free then?

H
halibuthitman
it is how you are looking at the river, you are not fishing steelhead water... it is virtually impossible to fish aggresively for a year and not catch a steelie if you are fishing the right water..

S
Scott M
Bgunder said:
There is no winter run on the willamette as far as I know, I think the closest rivers are the siuslaw, and then a few others that are around an hour and a half away including the Alsea

Guess that's why when I was a kid, Dad always took us over to the Wilson and Trask for chromers.....Never knew why. :think:

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
A bass fisherman is a frustrated steelhead fisherman. Don't let that happen. Keep at it.:cool:

and a carp fisherman is a bass fisherman that doesn't watch nascar...

B
Bgunder
I feel like I have a good idea of where steelies hold,I usually fish the same water as the rest of the guys out on the river but I also like to strike out on my own to get away from the crowds and I have read everything I could find on steelhead fishing but maybe your right....I honestly don't know at this point

Last edited:
B
Bgunder
I would but I gotta work, thanks for the invite though, I feel like a idiot cause I freaking work at Cabela's and can't catch a steelhead if my life depended on it!I have picked a lot of my co-workers brains on steelhead fishing but I still am missing something.

H
halibuthitman
how many times in the last trip did you fish in fast water less than 3 ft deep and within 2 feet of the bank?

B
Bgunder
I was almost strictly float fishing so I was picking out water that was more of a fast walking pace with a little bit of a riffle for the fish to hide under, when I fish a spot I try to systematically cover the water re-setting my depth when necessary including the stuff right near the bank if its possible.I know steelhead hold in some weird places, for example last summer I was fishing the mac and looked down at my feet to see a big ol' buck sitting right next to the rocks I was standing on.Unfortunately for me he didn't want anything I had to offer.I did fish a few spots at the hatchery that were probably around 3 ft deep but I think the fish are just shooting up the N. fork cause theres no were for them to really hide.But what do I know.........

H
halibuthitman
have you tried a 10-12 mm bead under your float?

Reactions: billfisher
B
Bgunder
Tried one today for a while, also used a micro jig for quite a while, dumb of me to forget lighter leader line.

P
plumb2fish
Steelhead fishing can be frustrating if you have never had someone to mentor you. Reading is great, but there is no substitute for time on the water. You would be well served to find someone that catches fish and go with them. Pay very close attention, the secret is in the little details....it makes the difference between accidental occasional hook ups and catching fish regularly. Find one style you like, on one stretch of river that you learn at every level. You will get fish if you fish where they live....

Last edited:
D
dtikey
nature of the beast...I see this a lot so dont feel like your the only one as brad said probally fishing the wrong water when its at certian depths or your jig is at wrong depths for holding fish. If you pay attention to the forum you will notice that most first time steelhead catches are from spinners and spoons maybe start switching up your tactics and go that route.

N
nativefish
when ur float fishing, keep going deeper and deeper. U will catch fish when you find the bottom. Just keep going deeper and deeper. A heavier jig head helps with this like a 1/4 oz.