A little contest

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Mrlindeman's post over in the Stocker Trout Thread inspired this idea:

We should have a contest. That contest being the fisherman or fisherwoman who ties up the strangest, ugliest fly they can out of scraps or unconventional tying materials (like drier lint) - that catches the biggest fish with their concoction.

Simple rules to keep everyone on the same playing field:

The fly must be a sinking type fly (wet fly, streamer, or nymph). Must be size 10 or larger (to show off your weird materials or combination of scraps).

You must document the fish, and the fly photographically - meaning a good picture of the fly itself, and a good picture of your fish submissions with that fly in it's mouth, and a picture showing the fish's length (so you'll need a tape measure or yard stick).

You must provide a list of materials used in the fly.

Limited to trout only (meaning rainbow, cutthroat, browns, brookies, bull trout, mackinaw, or any hybrids there of). They can be caught from a lake, pond, river, or creek, doesn't matter.

Contest opens April 1st, and runs through October 31st. Open to any OFF member in good standing. To enter - simply post up a photo of your fly, and the fish you caught with it. Biggest fish picture posted by 23:59 (that's 11:59PM) Oct 31 wins.

Winner will receive the admiration of your fellow OFFers, and I'll buy you a dozen flies of your choice of patterns from StreamFlies.com

Can't wait to see the flies tied, and the fish caught with them :D

Reactions: Drew9870
T
the_intimidator03
great idea LOL here kitty kitty kitty :-D

Troutski
Troutski
Camp Sherman on the mighty Met. Cheetos in size 6....you know it would kill them;).

Chuck

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Now you hafta make a Cheeto fly. I'm thinking orange and yellow chenille on a size 6 curved nymph hook?

O
OutdoorsTeen
Can you use the fly on spinning gear?

L
lilsalmon
Troutski said:
Camp Sherman on the mighty Met. Cheetos in size 6....you know it would kill them;).

Chuck

hehe...you are the second person that has mentioned cheetos at Camp Sherman....hmmmmm I have a kitty and a terri-poo

D
Drew9870
LOL, this was my idea, I sent mrlindman a text yesterday saying we need to tie a trash fly since some believe those stocker fish can be picky and because GDBrown seems to need proof that I catch them on Crystal buggers in Yellow w/White tail, Orange w/ White tail, and Red w/Black tail. Thought I would make even more of a point by catching them on a piece of rubbish.

I told mrlindman the goal is to make your fly look like s*^t, make it look like it would never catch a fish, I also told him beads and lead can be used along with garbage/recyclables.

Come on people, join in, you don't need to be an expert to tie a piece of crap :D.

P.S. After I sent mrlindman the text, no joke, I was inspecting my cats fur he was willing to donate, not long enough :D.

B
bigsteel
just leave the stocker trout for older people and kids,you guys are taking a nice fishing day way too seriously

D
Drew9870
bigsteel said:
just leave the stocker trout for older people and kids,you guys are taking a nice fishing day way too seriously

Ahh, come on bigsteel, join in :D, we're just trying to have fun.

B
bigsteel
Drew9870 said:
Ahh, come on bigsteel, join in :D, we're just trying to have fun.

NO way,im not interested in fishing for hot dog trout..

C
ChezJfrey
Drier lint, eh?

I've got the greatest globs of belly button lint I could try :)

D
Denduran87
ChezJfrey said:
Drier lint, eh?

I've got the greatest globs of belly button lint I could try :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

F
FishFinger
Ok your all really weird.

Unconventional materials tied to what you think will appeal to a planted trout? That's the basic premise?

I need to call MeLuvTrout, he'll know just what to use.....

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Ahha - I never said they had to be stocker trout for the contest - but if that's what you want to target, go fer it. I said any trout - wild, native, planted - just as long as they don't come from your 100 gallon tank in your bedroom.

But it would be fun to tie up the craziest fly you can think of - the odd ball that uses mish mash of materials, or unconventional materials - and see which one catches the biggest fish. Simple.

I bet BigSteel could catch some fatty wild fish from the Deschutes. More fun than the hotdog trout for sure. If Drew wants to catch stockers to prove his point - well, that's okay too. Keep it fun...

D
Drew9870
Once Mill Creek opens up, I will throw some junk flies in, I have even caught using the white crystal bugger in Mill, so I don't see why they wouldn't hit another random looking object as long as it is presented right.

I'm gonna make a rainbow colored bugger and call it the 'Fruit Fly' :lol::lol::lol:.

B
bigsteel
GungasUncle said:
Ahha - I never said they had to be stocker trout for the contest - but if that's what you want to target, go fer it. I said any trout - wild, native, planted - just as long as they don't come from your 100 gallon tank in your bedroom.

But it would be fun to tie up the craziest fly you can think of - the odd ball that uses mish mash of materials, or unconventional materials - and see which one catches the biggest fish. Simple.

I bet BigSteel could catch some fatty wild fish from the Deschutes. More fun than the hotdog trout for sure. If Drew wants to catch stockers to prove his point - well, that's okay too. Keep it fun...

got it

E
eggs
That's it I am using carpet dubbing and a bunch of Jacks(the dog) hair(don't tell juey)..

Ohh and I need to get a brazillion for a "special" fly..

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
wow. Eggs just took this down a left turn. I'm not sure yours would meet the state's legal definition of a fly - since you can't have built-in scent to the materials XD. And when I said fly - I didn't mean your trousers...

immagositandrockinthecornernowkthanksbye!

B
bigsteel
im gonna make a 420 cheech and chong fly!!!!!

Reactions: brandon4455
D
Drew9870
Make sure it has dumbbells and red eyes!

Reactions: brandon4455