Helpful hint request from California

T
twoelk48
Ok looks like our sturgeon regulations are getting changed and we will be going barbless, won't be able to use cable to make leaders, nor snares to help land a sturgeon. My questions are how do you guys keep roe or shrimp on your hooks up there or for that matter any bait on your hooks. What hooks do you perfer to use. Thanks Kent

T
troutmasta
We already use barbless hooks, and snares are a no-no! I use an egg loop hook and maybe some strecthy thread. If I dont have either a half hitch or two will do.
This is the last year for sturgeon retention on Oregon for a while maybe ever.

T
Toyracer38
Never have used Roe for Sturgeon myself, but for most baits stretchy thread works great. I pick it up cheap at fabric stores. For larger baits like Smelt or herring, a few half hitches with my leader works fine.

Just a thought on Roe, maybe try some spawn sac netting around it.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks for the stretchy thread from fabric stores tip.

Toyracer38 said:
Never have used Roe for Sturgeon myself, but for most baits stretchy thread works great. I pick it up cheap at fabric stores. For larger baits like Smelt or herring, a few half hitches with my leader works fine.

Just a thought on Roe, maybe try some spawn sac netting around it.

bass
bass
I agree with what folks have said. I use a mix of stretchy thread and half-hitches to secure my anchovies. When I have used sandshrimp I just used stretchy thread.

One thing I do (because I am pretty darn cheap) is to tie the stretchy thread to the eye of the hook. I then wrap the bait up the leader and then back down to the barb. I secure the loose end of the stretchy thread with a single half hitch on the bend of the hook. After a fish I can undo the half hitch and unwind the stretchy thread from the destroyed bait. I can usually catch at least 5 or 6 fish using a single piece of stretchy thread.

Also with a well wrapped bait I can often catch 2 or 3 sturgeon before having to put on a new bait by re-wrapping the tatters of the old bait.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Ive used the pickled squid and they seem to hold up well

bass
bass
troutmasta said:
Ive used the pickled squid and they seem to hold up well

I always carry a jar of pickled squid as a back up for the days that I run out of anchovies. One of the main reasons that I use anchovies is that I really like the idea of catching big fish on little fish :)