Some advice on stocker Trout

B
bigsteel
OutdoorsTeen said:
This is BS Sorry I have trolled different colored panther martins with my uncles and cousins And have has days where 90% of the fish were caught on silver or red or blue, you get my point. Exact same presentation , exact same lure. Just different color. Trout even stocker after a couple of weeks. can be the most finicky eater of all fish.
the reason they are finicky is because they have had 1000s of people throw every kind of lure or bait imaginable after them.

T
tnffishman
Drew9870 said:
Who said this advice was for those that already have a good clue on how to catch them

I think the point that they are making is that it's not very hard for even a rookie to get the hang of it fast when it comes to catching stockers.

My personal opinion is that they are there to be caught by us, so why not just throw some powereggs out there and relax awhile. I never have been much of a spinner person, but do enjoy trolling on Mt. Hood Lakes.

Reactions: Drew9870
D
Drew9870
OutdoorsTeen said:
This is BS Sorry I have trolled different colored panther martins with my uncles and cousins And have has days where 90% ,of the fish were caught on silver or red or blue, you get my point. Exact same presentation , exact same lure. Just different color. Trout even stocker after a couple of weeks. can be the most finicky eater of all fish.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe you just happened to change your lure as your coming over a pod of fish, it is just nearly impossible for a fish that has been fed brown pellets its whole life to be a picky eater, think of it, they ONLY see brown pellets and some bugs, not green ones, not chartruese, not red, BROWN. When these fish enter the body of water, they might suffer a slight bit of shock from the pH and temperature change, but then they will hit any color imaginable, it is just a matter of putting it in front of the fish which of course will be harder a couple weeks after stocking considering most of them died so that explains why they are ''so picky' after a couple weeks, because most don't exist anymore!

Trout ARE aquarium fish, what aquarium fish have you seen that was a picky eater, that wouldn't accept the green pellets but loved the tie-dye ones ;), these fish can't be nowhere near pressured, it takes awhile for a fish to be used to pressure, and a dumb stocker that has little natural instinct will need a couple months of pressure atleast to even be affected by it.

Think of a pet raised in a pen, being fed by hand, obviously it will take awhile for them to be scared of the human after being adapted to them, not only that, but they won't have as many fears/worrys as a wild pet.

The fish being picky and the fish being few and far between, are two totally different things.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
bigsteel said:
I leave the pellet heads for the young kids and older people to fish,hatchery raised trout have nowhere near the instincts that a wild fish has..the most embarrasing thing is watching grown men standing at a boat ramp waiting for a stocker truck to dump fish in.

I bust up laughing when people run for the truck, I tend to walk the opposite direction, no sense in thinking 2000 fish are gonna stay in one area. It is all bait to me, I personally don't see how grown men can think 12 inch Trout are the only thing out there, I see guys at the stocker ponds that seem to have no clue about any other species of fish, it's like Trout are the only thing that exist to them, there are plenty of fish in Oregon, native or not, they have muscle and fight, people need to make use of them because complaining about them does no good, might as well take up racism or join the kkk cuz they like to bi#$h about everything for nothing along with dislike people that don't have their beliefs.

I am not crap talking those who love Trout, but just saying, Oregon has a lot more fish that will put up different challenges, no point in living a life doing the same thing over and over, add some variety.

B
bigsteel
Drew9870 said:
I bust up laughing when people run for the truck, I tend to walk the opposite direction, no sense in thinking 2000 fish are gonna stay in one area. It is all bait to me, I personally don't see how grown men can think 12 inch Trout are the only thing out there, I see guys at the stocker ponds that seem to have no clue about any other species of fish, it's like Trout are the only thing that exist to them, there are plenty of fish in Oregon, native or not, they have muscle and fight, people need to make use of them because complaining about them does no good, might as well take up racism or join the kkk cuz they like to bi#$h about everything for nothing along with dislike people that don't have their beliefs.

I am not crap talking those who love Trout, but just saying, Oregon has a lot more fish that will put up different challenges, no point in living a life doing the same thing over and over, add some variety.

i pretty much much chase trout exclusively,but not stocker trout....wild redbands are my favorite

T
Throbbit _Shane
Ill stick up for stocker trout. I personally think they can and do adapt to their environments if they are there long enough. So a pond with trout during the middle of summer will probably die. But a trout stocked in a lake like Diamond grow up to be wonderful fish. Although all the fish there are stocked as fingerlings, im sure the legal sized trout we all grown to love or hate also will take to their surroundings. Some of the places that the ODFW stocks with rainbows arnt that pressured and they do hold over to the next year and become better table fare and better fighters.

D
Drew9870
Throbbit _Shane said:
Ill stick up for stocker trout. I personally think they can and do adapt to their environments if they are there long enough. So a pond with trout during the middle of summer will probably die. But a trout stocked in a lake like Diamond grow up to be wonderful fish. Although all the fish there are stocked as fingerlings, im sure the legal sized trout we all grown to love or hate also will take to their surroundings. Some of the places that the ODFW stocks with rainbows arnt that pressured and they do hold over to the next year and become better table fare and better fighters.

I will no doubt agree with this, the planters that do survive in some of the bigger lakes and reservoirs can begin to take on more natural instinct and begin to ''adapt into a wild fish'', let's say a fish was stocked at age 2 and is now a holdover at age 4, of course it will still have some of it's planter instinct, but it still is not as adapted as a wild fish of the same age and will never be, because it already spent 2 of its most important years in a concrete state aquarium that could've been spent in the wild learning to survive and learning right from wrong, fish that are raised from newborn to 12'' in a hatchery, have virtually no fears or predators, so once they get dumped somewhere, they are still used to eating whatever lands in front of them.

Hatchery Trout are ordinary Rainbow Trout (they derived from a native fish generations ago), and can survive as long as conditions are right, frog water (stocker ponds) do not have healthy enough conditions and not enough surface area for the survivable amount of oxygen that salmonids require, which is why you find no holdovers in most stocker ponds.

Last edited:
C
capblack
Drew9870 said:

I also think people that chase stocker trucks are funny, but here Drew, you say you think its funny, and you go the other way when the trucks are there, yet in post 9 you said you like to cast worms with no weight into the fish as there being poured out??

Reactions: BobbiDollPDX
C
capblack
i tend to agree with bigsteel in that i generally leave the stockers alone, unless im enjoying a day fishing with my kids. i like native trout in streams, fishing for steel on the north santiam, and fishing kokanee at gp much more, but if fishing for stocker trout in a pond makes people happy, thats all that matters. thats what theyre put in there for. if you prefer to fish for something else, then fish for something else. why post up just to argue about how easy it is to fish for one type over another. lets go fishing already. Brian

W
waco
capblack said:
why post up just to argue about how easy it is to fish for one type over another. lets go fishing already. Brian
$10 cabelas gift card!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reactions: Drew9870
J
JeannaJigs
capblack said:
I also think people that chase stocker trucks are funny, but here Drew, you say you think its funny, and you go the other way when the trucks are there, yet in post 9 you said you like to cast worms with no weight into the fish as there being poured out??

Lol this is one of the most contradictory jokes of a thread posted on this forum.

Reactions: RunWithSasquatch, Throbbit _Shane and capblack
C
capblack
:rolleyes: i wish i could quit reading the posts on this thread, but i can't stay away :lol:

J
JeannaJigs
It's like a natural disaster...morbid curiosity...waiting for the next stupid post that's just going to be a matter opinion that no one will ever agree on...Because the whole purpose of this thread was to stir up a hornets nest.

Reactions: BobbiDollPDX
T
Troutier Bassier
JeannaJigs said:
Because the whole purpose of this thread was to stir up a hornets nest.

Correct.

D
Drew9870
capblack said:

Post 9
and especially worm with no weight casting into the fish as they are getting poured out of the truck, literally, lol.

Where did I state I like to do this, I stated that I have caught fish this way, I fly fish the stocker ponds for bait all year, and in the winter since a stocker pond is the closest body of water to me, and I don't drive. I haven't casted a worm with no weight behind the truck in about 4 years now, just trying to give advice for those who have trouble with the stockers, and people DO, like using a fixed 1/2oz weight thinking the fish will set the hook on themselves, kinda hard to get hooked when the hook is buried in a round ball. 4 years ago, I didn't care about crowds, as long as there were fish, nowadays I think about how much of a clown I looked like along with everyone else chasing the truck :).

And I've seen plenty of people who don't know how to work the lures right, like speed, some people like to 'jig' their hardware, these are the people whom I recommend using bait or lighter lures since there really is not much to know about working it.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Drew9870 said:
I see guys at the stocker ponds that seem to have no clue about any other species of fish, it's like Trout are the only thing that exist to them, there are plenty of fish in Oregon, native or not, they have muscle and fight, people need to make use of them because complaining about them does no good, might as well take up racism or join the kkk cuz they like to bi#$h about everything for nothing along with dislike people that don't have their beliefs.

Question # 1, if you hate fishing there so much (and apparently the type of peeps that it draws), then why are you out there?

Question #2, why not go somewhere else?

C
capblack
im not big on casting and retrieving lures in ponds and lakes, but i like drifting them for steel!!

troutdude
troutdude
JeannaJigs said:
Lol this is one of the most contradictory jokes of a thread posted on this forum.

Totally agreed. This diatribe has grown thin. Time to find something much more constructive to do...which is just about anything.

J
JeannaJigs
CoughHypocrisyCough

Anyone have any robitussin?

Drew9870 said:
Post 9

Where did I state I like to do this, I stated that I have caught fish this way, I fly fish the stocker ponds for bait all year, and in the winter since a stocker pond is the closest body of water to me, and I don't drive. I haven't casted a worm with no weight behind the truck in about 4 years now, just trying to give advice for those who have trouble with the stockers, and people DO, like using a fixed 1/2oz weight thinking the fish will set the hook on themselves, kinda hard to get hooked when the hook is buried in a round ball. 4 years ago, I didn't care about crowds, as long as there were fish, nowadays I think about how much of a clown I looked like along with everyone else chasing the truck :).

And I've seen plenty of people who don't know how to work the lures right, like speed, some people like to 'jig' their hardware, these are the people whom I recommend using bait or lighter lures since there really is not much to know about working it.

D
Drew9870
troutdude said:
Question # 1, if you hate fishing there so much (and apparently the type of peeps that it draws), then why are you out there?

Question #2, why not go somewhere else?

I personally don't care about the peeps and their ways, people get ticked off when they walk up next to me and cast in front of me and I just act like they never did, I stand my ground, why let a few D-heads ruin my day, I'm catchin fish! Lol.

Why not go somewhere else? I wish I could, lol, but the ol' longboard just doesn't have enough Horsepower or good enough mileage to get me out of Salem :), and Squaws from the Willy just aren't as effective as Trout fillets, already tested that at Boiler Bay, not even a Greenling (Sea Squaw :lol:).

Last edited: