Advice on waders

B
bythesea
winter Steel is coming soon and I need some advice on buying some breathable stockingfoot and boots never bought before. and can't spend a fortune any advice on what to get ? or better yet what to stay away from.....??? Thanks,

Last edited:
B
bernduffy
If you're not afraid to do some simple repair, there's lots of good buys on CL and ebay. I bought a $150 pair of Simm's Guide waders for $40. A lot of waders use oversize high-top athletic shoes with holes drilled above the sole line. Again, a real cheap thrift shop purchase. Otherwise the generic Hodgeman or Cabelas seem popular and reasonable.

M
mccarrel
I'd suggest getting them from a store with a good service department. Fisherman's has treated me well.

J
JeannaJigs
I have a pair of guide model something or another by hodgman that have been put through hell for two seasons and have only a small leak from carelessness in blackberries this fall, that is fixable in 5 minutes, I just have to do it. My advice is you don't need to go over the top and spend a ton on waders, but do not skimp on boots! That's your contact with the river bottom and crappy boots can get you killed. I have a pair of korkers (can't remember the model but they've got interchangeable soles and steel cable laces) that ive had for 3 years and they're not falling apart after extensive hiking and wading each winter.

18406ej
18406ej
Are felt-bottom wading boots unlawful in Oregon yet? You might want to avoid purchasing these as it sounds like they may be soon (they allow transfer of organisms from one water body to another). Keep an eye on the "bargain caves" at different websites. I purchased a very nice breathable pair of Simms
for 60% off at the Coleman site.

V
veilside180sx
18406ej said:
Are felt-bottom wading boots unlawful in Oregon yet? You might want to avoid purchasing these as it sounds like they may be soon (they allow transfer of organisms from one water body to another). Keep an eye on the "bargain caves" at different websites. I purchased a very nice breathable pair of Simms
for 60% off at the Coleman site.

It is legal to have felt soles and you can thank Simm's for this wad of BS.

J
JeannaJigs
in my experience, I'd stay away from insulated, unless you're just cold all the time...think of summertime...you will cook and die. Breatheables allow layering so you can bundle up as much as you want underneath, but can also use during warmer months. Just my 2 cents.

B
bythesea
JeannaJigs said:
in my experience, I'd stay away from insulated, unless you're just cold all the time...think of summertime...you will cook and die. Breatheables allow layering so you can bundle up as much as you want underneath, but can also use during warmer months. Just my 2 cents.

I think your right I,ve got it narrowed down to a couple different caddis northern guide models..??? thank's for the input...their around 100$

M
MattZ
don't buy cheap waders, they will leak, on the worst day possible, and you will then buy a second pair of waders, do the math, and wish you had just bought a pair of waders worth a darn in the first place. I've worked in too many shops and dealt with too many returned cheapos. Simms is the brand to buy, but they are way too expensive retail. I have had good luck with Cabelas dry plus fabric. I had a pair of Cabela waders last 6 years, longer than anything else I've tried. I'm currently wearing the orvis sonic wader. i cannot comment on durability, but it is without any doubt the most comfortable wader I've worn.

I can recommend Redington for a lot of things, but not NOT for waders. I also cannot recommend hodgman or alans.

T
tonym
The USIA waders aren't breathable just so everyone knows.

B
bythesea
MattZ said:
don't buy cheap waders, they will leak, on the worst day possible, and you will then buy a second pair of waders, do the math, and wish you had just bought a pair of waders worth a darn in the first place. I've worked in too many shops and dealt with too many returned cheapos. Simms is the brand to buy, but they are way too expensive retail. I have had good luck with Cabelas dry plus fabric. I had a pair of Cabela waders last 6 years, longer than anything else I've tried. I'm currently wearing the orvis sonic wader. i cannot comment on durability, but it is without any doubt the most comfortable wader I've worn.

I can recommend Redington for a lot of things, but not NOT for waders. I also cannot recommend hodgman or alans.

well,you didn't say you can't recommend caddis but the first thing you did say was don't buy cheap waders so maybe I'll do some more research.I don't drift I fish the bank so I need a good pair,thank's for your input

M
MattZ
hey no problem. I have not experienced the caddis brand waders, but i had a float tube of theirs that seemed well made enough. i think cabelas is the best value out there, with good follow up service should something go wrong. frogg togg is the other budget wader guys talk about as being good value, but ive never even touched frogg toggs before.

T
todd_brooks
I'd second the idea of not going cheap if you can. Stay away from Dick's Field and Stream brand, I walked through a pair in something like three months (that was there high end pair).. Ended up fighting to get an in store credit. Decided I was tired of getting wet and got a pair of these. http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=101405 Money well spent, have put miles and miles on em and still dry. If you have to go cheap Frog Toggs aren't a bad way to go. Some folks, Osmosis for one, feel they will wear anything out in a year or so and cheap is the way to go. Frog toggs are what he's recommended in the past.
I'll also second that boots are where you should spend the money if you can only do one or the other. Its amazing the differencee between a cheap and a good boot. I almost broke ankles and or killed myselfnearly every trip for a few years before I broke down and got some spendy ones. And the way their waring I'll have em for years. So its a bit painfull to pony up the cash, but if you know your going to be fishing for the long term it worth every penny.

B
bythesea
Hey, thanks for all the advice everybody simms work. spend a little get a lot more.

N
natro
I have a pair of Remington neoprene waders and a pair of Allen breathable waders. Both bought at Bi Mart 2 summers ago. I use the neoprenes in colder weather and the breathables during the summertime, and they're both still in great shape. I want to say I paid around 70-80 bucks for each pair. I'm pretty happy with them.

B
bythesea
natro said:
I have a pair of Remington neoprene waders and a pair of Allen breathable waders. Both bought at Bi Mart 2 summers ago. I use the neoprenes in colder weather and the breathables during the summertime, and they're both still in great shape. I want to say I paid around 70-80 bucks for each pair. I'm pretty happy with them.

I allready ordered the simms so I'll put on a extra layer and treat 'em like gold and hope for the best...plus it sounds like they'll take care of you,,life time warranty ??? :pray:

18406ej
18406ej
veilside180sx said:
It is legal to have felt soles and you can thank Simm's for this wad of BS.

Veil side,

I just want to confirm that the BS you refer to wasn't on my part...I am guessing it is not. Did Simms take some kind of legal action to continue the use of felt boots in Oregon? It would surprise me, as we are usually THE leading State in environmental concerns. Of course we are also almost broke, so maybe they kicked a few bucks into the State coffers?

V
veilside180sx
Simms was a major proponent pushing States to outlaw felt as they changed their product line to fit the agenda push.

They found out soon enough that there wasn't enough actual scientific backing to make it stick everywhere and their sales went through the floor. (Needless to say...they are back to selling felt soled boots)

18406ej said:
Veil side,

I just want to confirm that the BS you refer to wasn't on my part...I am guessing it is not. Did Simms take some kind of legal action to continue the use of felt boots in Oregon? It would surprise me, as we are usually THE leading State in environmental concerns. Of course we are also almost broke, so maybe they kicked a few bucks into the State coffers?

M
MattZ
simms will treat your right.

F
fredaevans
MattZ said:
simms will treat your right.

Given what they charge, I would sure hope so!!!!!