A new spot to fish????

S
spmpdr
hey guys im going out to the metolius tomorrow. The only spot i have fished is near the hatchery on both sides of the bridge. Could you guys recommend somewhere else to try and possible directions from redmond? Thanks in advance!!!!

S
steelhead1
Go downriver past Camp Sherman and before the hatchery,look for the pullouts that get the least amount of traffic,the river will be a little bit of a hike,but doesn't get as pounded day after day.There is a little bridge (I think its called Allingham GS? or something) on the left past C.S., turn there and take the first paved right,follow the road till it dead ends at a neat little campground.There is an awsome deep hole right there and a good trail to follow that ends at the hatchery (I think:think:).Green drakes were coming off between 12pm-7pm the past couple weekends,BWO'S, PMD'S and stimulators were also bringing the fish up.Golden stones were everywhere on sunday,and had just started to dab on the water as we left for home. Small green nymphs as a trailer with a heavy dropper were also VERY productive last weekend.Good luck and post a report!:D

S
steelhead_slayer
there is some good water by bridge 99. steelhead1 i appreciate your willingness to post such an informative reply :clap:

S
spmpdr
Thanks you guys for the info , i will definitely try some of the pullouts you speak of. I will certainly post a report for you guys.

M
Metoman
Head as far down from bridge 99 as you can. Like atleast a mile. Lots of water that hardly ever gets fished.

S
spmpdr
UPDATE:I had a blast fishing on both Wednesday and Thursday!!! On wednesday i had some good news and some bad news. First the good news I caught a nice 10" or so whitefish and a very nice rainbow probably 17-18" !!!! The bad news is while taking pics of the rainbow i dropped my phone and it bounced off the bank and plunk!!! right into the water. I caught them both on a copper john with a bead head at the gorge campground hole. Thursday i went out there again and fished for about 2 hours and had about 10 hits but didn't land anything. The metolius is on fire now!!! im headed there again on wednesday any takers!!!!

S
SistersGuy
Got to get my new Fly Rod set up... $20 setup from Bi-Mart just starting into Fly Fishing... Another $40-60 for the various lines $10-20 for some flies and I'm in good shape haha. Would love to go, I live in Sisters so its only 15-20 minutes out there. I ordered an assortment of flies from Orvis, you should do the same 20 flies for $10 on their website, free shipping... Downside 4-6 weeks for delivery. :(

F
FlyBum
You should check with the guys at either the Camp Sherman Store or the Fly Fisher's Place in Sisters. Both of them have been very friendly to me when I've stopped in and are happy to share some info and get you set up right then and there with the flies you need so you don't have to wait a month to go fish. By then the flies you ordered may not be the "Hott Fly" that it was a month and a half ago. Just sayin :)

S
SistersGuy
FlyBum said:
You should check with the guys at either the Camp Sherman Store or the Fly Fisher's Place in Sisters. Both of them have been very friendly to me when I've stopped in and are happy to share some info and get you set up right then and there with the flies you need so you don't have to wait a month to go fish. By then the flies you ordered may not be the "Hott Fly" that it was a month and a half ago. Just sayin :)

I agree. I am using the spinning setup now anyways. My wife was just being AWESOME and bought me the fly rod. Looking at the prices on everything I may not get into it too heavily...

F
FlyBum
SistersGuy said:
I agree. I am using the spinning setup now anyways. My wife was just being AWESOME and bought me the fly rod. Looking at the prices on everything I may not get into it too heavily...

Well, I can tell you that you don't need to go balls to the wall right off the bat. Gear (as far as rods and reels, waders, ect.) should be acquired over time IMHO. Then you know what you want and like. That's great that you got a fly rod :) :) Next start with simple things like some leader and tippet and a few flies and a fly box. From there you can think about wading equipment, multiple rods/reels, fly tying??, building your own leaders, the list goes on and on.......

The important thing is just to enjoy your time on the water and all the beautiful things in nature that surround the wonderful Central Oregon landscape! For me, ya it's nice to catch fish (especially big ones), but it's just being out on the river that pleases me the most! :) Even on the Metolius where nice walks are more common than catching fish!

M
Metoman
Couldnt have said it any better than that. However, having said that, it really does pay to have a nice rod and reel w/ quality fly line. It is expensive, but its worth it if you want to be a successful fly fisher.

F
FlyBum
Metoman said:
Couldnt have said it any better than that. However, having said that, it really does pay to have a nice rod and reel w/ quality fly line. It is expensive, but its worth it if you want to be a successful fly fisher.

Opps, left that one out but that should be a given! I really like the Rio Gold personally for a majority of my fishing!!

S
spmpdr
SistersGuy said:
Got to get my new Fly Rod set up... $20 setup from Bi-Mart just starting into Fly Fishing... Another $40-60 for the various lines $10-20 for some flies and I'm in good shape haha. Would love to go, I live in Sisters so its only 15-20 minutes out there. I ordered an assortment of flies from Orvis, you should do the same 20 flies for $10 on their website, free shipping... Downside 4-6 weeks for delivery. :(

Ill let you know when i head that way ....... I ordered that orvis package 2 x already!!!! great assortment of flies and a great price.I would also recommend stopping by the fly fishers place there in sisters the guys there are great and hookup you up with what is working now.... the flies are a little spendy but well worth it to cathc some nice metolus fish!!! If you want to shoot me your number pm me with it and ill txt or call you next time im headed out that way maybe tomorrow

S
SistersGuy
Fathers Day Update: She went to Wally World Friday morning and picked up the list... It all ended up being Cortland stuff... 50yds of 20lbs Backing, Cortland WF Floating Line, 5.5 lbs Tapered Leader and 4.5 lbs Tippet Material, Curved Forceps and the smallest Plano fly box in the history of man-kind...

I borrowed a few flies from her Uncle and we went to Suttle yesterday (Saturday): windy and changing directions every 10-15 seconds, raining off and on... No good. I bought a couple Elk Hair Caddis #12 today to add to my tiny Plano box hoping to hit the water at Cline Falls sometime this week on my way home... We'll see.