Rogue River Carp

X
XFactorTackle
colbypearson said:
im going there today but not for carp.... talk to me in a few weeks of warm weather i can tell you where i see the big ones... i regularly see schools in the spring in the only good spawning grounds getting ready to make beds i will see schools of 50 carp between 5 and 35-40+lbs the ones in the school are normally small but the really big ones cruise the outsides its really a site to see

Sounds good. Looks like I'll have to make a line of Carp Baits now. Any suggestions?

C
colbypearson
XFactorTackle said:
Sounds good. Looks like I'll have to make a line of Carp Baits now. Any suggestions?

corn, bread, berkley carp dough, and learn to make boiles if you really want to get into it i hear thats where "its" at haha

B
Bad Tuna
It's unfortunate they are in the Rogue, hopefully they will be caught and killed in the future. Carp are bad for coldwater and warmwater species in oregon.

D
Drew9870
Then why hasn't ODFW taken measures? Seems to me like 98% of places in Oregon that contain Carp have no problem with them co-existing with the other species, maybe you personally have a problem with them and want others to have the same belief, but they are just like any other species of fish, and can take over given the right conditions. I have seen ponds that are infested with Largemouth, and different ponds infested with Bluegill, why don't you think they deserve to be banked? Because they don't feed on the bottom? I personally haven't seen a place where the Carp outnumber the other species, but I know it does exist in about 2-3% of the places they exist in Oregon, just like any other species. Can't use stirring up mud as an excuse, all fish do this to maybe dig out a Crayfish, Larvae, or even spawn.

Leave it to ODFW to eradicate species and to tell people what to eradicate, the few Carp that we the fisherpeople destroy will only leave more food supply for the remaining fish, you and the 100,000 others cannot make a difference when fighting against a fish that lays about that many eggs at 10lbs.

Did you know Carp are now set as Vulnerable to extinction? Atleast the wild populations.

Last edited:
B
Bad Tuna
Carp are not native to North or South America, and are an invasive species. Do I care they are bottom feeders, no. I love catfish and sturgeon. Carp primarily feed on insects, eggs, small fish and roots. They compete with native species eating the insects, then eat the native species small fry and eggs. Carp in ponds and lakes root around on the bottom eating the roots of the plants, destroying cover, habitat for other aquatic life, warming the water as well as making it muddy. Trout and bass dont muddy the water chasing crayfish like carp. ODFW does want them killed, why do you suppose there are no catch restrictions or limits? Ever watch bass or trout populations in lakes with carp? They go downhill relatively quick. To kill those females full of eggs is a good thing, and I'd still encourage everyone to do so every chance they get. Kill a dozen, and there's a million less carp fry in the water. To answer your question about bass and bluegill, I kill all I legally can whenever the chance arises.

T
Troutier Bassier
:lol: So you just throw fish onto the bank and leave them there? Do you think thats OK? to just waste a fish? You kill them for no reason? You can't use "Their a invasive species" BS excuse. If we removed all the non-native fish from Oregon the fishing economy would plumet!

Why is there no limits or catch restrictions for carp? I don't know. Why is there no limits on catfish? how about Bluegill? How about all the other Non-game fish? Dose ODFW want to get rid of them too? I don't think so.

The lakes that I fish, also have carp in them. Is there a EXPLOSIVE OVERPOPULATED Population? No. (I wish. haha) There is more Bass, Bluegill and Catfish at any given point then there ever would be carp I think.

It's unfortunate they are in the Rogue, hopefully they will be caught and killed in the future. Carp are bad for coldwater and warmwater species in oregon.

*shakes head*
You sir, want to kill fish that have not affected your precious little salmon and steelhead population.

D
Drew9870
What bugs me the most, is when people go into threads and suggest people kill their catch, it seems as though Xfactor appreciated his catch when he talked about making a line of Carp baits.

Live and let live BT (NOT TB LOL), you will make no difference in fish populations, I will make no difference in your opinion, we are beating a dead horse.

Last edited:
B
Bad Tuna
Drew9870 said:
What bugs me the most, is when people go into threads and suggest people kill their catch, it seems as though Xfactor appreciated his catch when he talked about making a line of Carp baits.

Live and let live BT (NOT TB LOL), you will make no difference in fish populations, I will make no difference in your opinion, we are beating a dead horse.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree. If Xfactor came out with a good line of baits, I'd try them.

D
Drew9870
I personally don't see how sportsman like it is to go out and toss a bunch of fish on the bank or kill them just for having a life in Oregon, they are not going anywhere, they may have been stocked in certain places once before, but you can't stop nature from keeping them stocked and flooding ponds and lakes into nearby rivers, maybe the state can if they feel they need to, but you and the other 500,000 people who kill Carp in Oregon can't touch a population when about 10-15 fish can possibly regenerate the entire population. One carp can lay a mass amount of eggs once it starts getting to a considerably big size, but I say 10-15 Carp because of course, like most fish, most of these eggs and fry will die to pretty much mainly fungal/bacterial infection and predators (birds, fish, etc).

Leave the wildlife be if you have no use for it (all people), leave it for someone to enjoy who actually has a passion for it and respect towards other life. Sorry poor horse, have a proper burial, lol.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
And no doubt I would give the baits a shot, especially if Xfactor knew a thing or two about fish nutrition and digestion, certain baits can be good at a certain time of year for Carp, by good I mean digestable for the time of year, a rule of thumb for Carp baits is a more Carb based recipe for the Winter, and Protein based recipes in the Summer. The fishes digestion will slow down once water temps lower (like what happens to a fish :D;)) and basically they will stuff themselves full of Protein in the Summer to store during the Winter, and begin to feed less during the cold.

Flavored Baits - Winter
Meaty Baits - Summer

When using a flavor that isn't too intense, in Winter you can sometimes get away with adding twice as much as what it calls for, the colder water will slow down the rate at which the flavors scent dissolves and spreads.

I also never said meaty baits won't work in Winter, and certainly wouldn't say a sweet bait won't work in the Summer, Sweet baits, along with Bread and corn, can work perfect all year long.

Reactions: colbypearson
C
colbypearson
im annoyed about hearing about invasive species that have been here for a hundred + years.... if ODFW wanted carp dead they wouldnt set no limits they would kill the carp, if they really cared they would exterminate them but guess what tuna they dont care enough to make much of a differance... the denman ponds in front of the ODFW office in central point is choked with carp. if all your gonna talk about is keeping and killing fish go make your own hate blog dont bring it to a forum just to get opposition from the people that angle for them......

i personally like fishing for true native fish like bass they didn't start here as long ago as trout, but atleast theyre not delivered in trucks.....

Last edited:
B
Bad Tuna
That was likely the most ignorant post I've ever read. I know you teenagers think you know everything, with your decades of vast fishing knowledge, but you don't. Nobody does. From time to time, you need to be quiet, listen, and be open to other view points. You don't have to agree at all, but you should always be open. Carp, bass etc. have NOT been in Oregon for centuries. Try google, dates range from 1870-1890 in a quick search. Yes, many bodies of water contain carp, and ODFW would LOVE to get rid of them, but it costs money! Money doesn't grow on trees Colby. ODFW has to carefully prioritize where it spends it's budget, although carp are a great concern, there is no money for the massive undertaking of killing off all carp. I don't "hate" any fish, I just don't agree with your misguided point of view. Bass are NOT native, wild, but surely not native. Many native fish are not delivered in trucks either, I guess that was just another emotional rant on your part. Try facts next time.

C
colbypearson
Bad Tuna said:
T I guess that was just another emotional rant on your part. Try facts next time.

i will be in the corner if anyone needs me, now where did i put that 3 days grace CD

im tired of hearing people bitching about killing fish

by definitely bass are native, if a fish is born somewhere its a native fish...maybe invasive and maybe problematic but still native... what do you think makes something native? you act like trout, salmon, and steelhead have been here since before time. Im a native oregonian i was born here but my family hasnt been here forever,"native" is just a stupid topic because no matter what the word means its never gonna be native if you dont want it to be.

i know what your saying that carp have negative effects....

-"ODFW has to carefully prioritize where it spends it's budget," prioritize away i said if ODFW wanted carp gone they could do it, i never said it was free.

i dont need facts to say what i said.... im tired of people bitching to get a rise out of someone or not if your gonna share your gardening secrets among carp fisherman its not the right place, and if ODFW wanted carp done they could do something about it... both factual statements ;)

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Bad Tuna said:
I know you teenagers think you know everything, with your decades of vast fishing knowledge, but you don't.

By the looks of your Avatar, you don't seem to be too old either.

B
Bad Tuna
At least 3 times your age.

J
JDJones
Invasive species

Invasive species

Carp are not native to the western hemisphere. They were introduced to the "new world" by European settler's during colonial times as a food fish. Only later were they to become villanized as a trash fish. Hell, some also thought of (and still consider) Lobsters as bottom feeding trash. Be that as it may, invasive they are not. Undesirable in the Rogue, got there by accident, yes. They are survivors. Able to live and thrive in waters unsuitable to many other species. Even though Carp are a warm water species, they are able to survive in rivers and ponds that freeze over in winter. Normally however, they do not inhabit very fast moving water. If we are lucky, they will not survive for long now the the dams are gone.

Having said that, Carp can be a hoot on a fly rod. They will take a variety of flies. Many of which you probably already have in your boxes. They pull like a Mack truck. A small five pound fish will easily run you into your backing. Too bad they don't jump. :(

B
beaverfan
JDJones said:
Be that as it may, invasive they are not.

Invasive species: any species, including its seeds, eggs, spores, or other biological material capable of propagating that species, that is not native to that ecosystem; and whose introduction does or is likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to human health.

T
Throbbit _Shane
JDJones said:
Carp are not native to the western hemisphere. They were introduced to the "new world" by European settler's during colonial times as a food fish. Only later were they to become villanized as a trash fish. Hell, some also thought of (and still consider) Lobsters as bottom feeding trash. Be that as it may, invasive they are not. Undesirable in the Rogue, got there by accident, yes. They are survivors. Able to live and thrive in waters unsuitable to many other species. Even though Carp are a warm water species, they are able to survive in rivers and ponds that freeze over in winter. Normally however, they do not inhabit very fast moving water. If we are lucky, they will not survive for long now the the dams are gone.

Having said that, Carp can be a hoot on a fly rod. They will take a variety of flies. Many of which you probably already have in your boxes. They pull like a Mack truck. A small five pound fish will easily run you into your backing. Too bad they don't jump. :(

Welcome to the forum!

J
john montana
Bad Tuna said:
look at the destruction grass carp have had on the Devils Lake fishery.
species

Do keep in mind that not only are you lumping two completely separate species with different feeding behaviors, etc together in order to attempt to prove your point, but that the state of OR and WA in their infinite wisdom plants grass carp in misguided attempts to improve habitat. Smart? Heck no but the grass far dilemma is removed and has no bearing on the common carp situation. The reality is that all over the world and US common carp coexist extremely well with other warm water species. Sure, there are examples where they don't but in any debate one can point to either extreme as the rule, and be incorrect in doing so. The truth usually lies somewhere in-between.

I for one, even as an avid carp on the fly guy would choose to return as many fisheries as possible to their native states. Get rid of carp, bass, catfish, brown trout etc and keep our rivers and lakes as nature intended them to be. The problem with this is it is completely unrealistic. Best we can do is control what we can and stop the stupid decisions like putting grass carp in devils lake.

By the way, the Odwf and wdwf swear grass carp are sterile and contained in land locked ponds. Right. I see them as small as 18 inches and as large as 50 some inches on the Columbia. Lesson? Don't screw win an Eco system!