Nice limit in a couple hours at Hagg Lake

J
J4excellence
Gave the fishing pier at area C a try this morning--got there a little after 7:00. The water was maybe a foot or two deep at the end of the pier, so in order to land a fish, you had to hoist it about 40 feet. Since I get around in a wheelchair, this was the only option for me so I rigged up with 20 pound braid and leaders made of 10 pound flourocarbon. If I caught a decent fish, I figured I didn't want him to break off during the hoist.

I also doubled my weight and used two 1/2 oz egg sinkers instead of one to get a little distance out to the deeper water. Garlic is a favorite for Hagg trout, so I put on garlic scented power eggs. Soon enough, I had a bite and landed a nice 11 incher. Right after that I tied into one I could see from a distance was pretty big and I worried it might try to dive in around the pier supports and get hung up. Fortunately, it didn't, but it sure put a bend in my pole during the hoist. Turned out to be one of those pounders, about 13 1/2 inches. Another hour and three more fish, including another 13 incher and I was done. So the steelhead line and heavier leaders worked for me, but if you can get to the bank, I'd just go with 6 pound and a net.

So it was a great morning at the lake, pretty calm and warm when I got there. The place was super busy with runners doing a marathon, but I didn't see anyone fishing until about the time I took off a little after 9:00. By then the wind had whipped up pretty good and it started sprinkling. I'm sure that didn't hurt the bite, though and as I left I saw another guy bringing one in from the bank.

• Hagg Lake 10.13.2012.jpg
Reactions: bass
G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Nice limit! They look like a row of silver torpedoes.

M
Merle
J4excellence Good to hear from you.

bass
bass
Way to go!

C
catfishman89
Looks like some tasty dinner. Nice to see some trout being caught. I haven't seen anyone getting fish hopefully this fool weather will get them moving.

B
bernduffy
That's the best looking Hagg limit I've seen in a while. They should install a crane...or a service elevator on the gazebo when the water is that low. Must be almost 30 feet from surface to rod tip? Nice job on adjusting to steelhead setup. .Beautiful fish.

M
MattZ
gonna hit hagg tomorrow if the weather isn;t too crap for one last trout day. anyone else goin? anyone fish recently since the rains?