Who's going opening day?

D
Denduran87
No thanks opener and free fishing weekend are nuts I already have a hard enough time with the a**holes trolling the banks!!

D
darthintel
With my new pontoon boat and electric motor I want to start fishing Hagg lake for trout ....so question ....what flys and or spinners / colors should I start stocking up on now ? I use both a fly rod with a sinking line and a spin reel / rod for light trolling . Only 1 rod at a time though :)

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Darth,

There is a LOT of great information, in the archived threads under the Hagg Lake heading. If you look through there, you'll find just about everything that you need to know about fishing at Hagg.

Good luck.

M
Moe
Its pretty easy getting stockers if you have something to get on the water with. Try some nymphs trolled 100ft or so behind your pontoon or try trolling a weding ring tipped with a worm. Good Luck!

B
beaverfan
darthintel said:
With my new pontoon boat and electric motor I want to start fishing Hagg lake for trout ....so question ....what flys and or spinners / colors should I start stocking up on now ? I use both a fly rod with a sinking line and a spin reel / rod for light trolling . Only 1 rod at a time though :)

You know about the 2 rod license right?

S
skunk
Iif I have a toon, can I get away from the majority of the crowds? Isn't there a speed limit also, or would I have to deal with a bunch of hotdogger boaters?

G
GDBrown
Crowds! What crowds?

Crowds! What crowds?

skunk said:
Iif I have a toon, can I get away from the majority of the crowds? Isn't there a speed limit also, or would I have to deal with a bunch of hotdogger boaters?

The upper end (away from the dam) is designated as a no wake zone.:) I am successful with nymphs, wooley buggers, roostertails, and worms. Or you can go with power bait! Not my style, but it is very effective at putting stockers in the boat or on the bank and that is why they are there. There are also warm water fish in the lake that draw a lot of anglers who haven't learned to fish yet. Opps.....:naughty:

GD

S
skunk
GDBrown said:
The upper end (away from the dam) is designated as a no wake zone.:) I am successful with nymphs, wooley buggers, roostertails, and worms. Or you can go with power bait! Not my style, but it is very effective at putting stockers in the boat or on the bank and that is why they are there. There are also warm water fish in the lake that draw a lot of anglers who haven't learned to fish yet. Opps.....:naughty:

GD

Hey now, at least those warm waters bite and make us feel better!!!

W
wormosa
no kokes

Gunga
Gunga
yes there is kokes in hagg. if you look on an earlier post on this thread my uncle explains hoe the kokes came to be in hagg lake.

98nismo
so does anyone plan on being there tomorrow?

B
beaverfan
Yup I just decided I'm gonna go bank it, be there at first light.

W
wormosa
none

troutdude
troutdude
Not me. I don't mind "some" rain, but not like we got tonight (and will get again tomorrow). I just hate getting back in the car with wet gear.

But, I will wish you guys lots of good luck. ODFW planted some BIG brooders in January, and just plopped in 18,000 dinks this week (or maybe last week).

C
capblack
maybe im wrong, but hagg seems a lot like detroit to me. big lake, lots of ramps, too many people. if detroit had an opening day, thats the last place id be. i dont even like detroit in the middle of the season. i guess theres a few more options here though, than there is around hagg. either way, i wish anyone going there in the morning luck. have fun and stay safe. Brian

B
beaverfan
If your willing to walk .5 mile or so there is lots of bank access to be had with nowhere near the crowd. With how chilly and rainy it's been I'm thinking it will be fairly slow fishing but it sure beats staying home! I haven't fished Hagg in years it will be interesting to say the least!

B
bác_Keith
I'm thinking I will give it a try in the morning. Just hope the ramp isn't clogged with loonies. But, it can't be much worse that when the wake boarders are there in hot weather. That is a zoo also.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
capblack said:
maybe im wrong, but hagg seems a lot like detroit to me. big lake, lots of ramps, too many people. if detroit had an opening day, thats the last place id be. i dont even like detroit in the middle of the season. i guess theres a few more options here though, than there is around hagg. either way, i wish anyone going there in the morning luck. have fun and stay safe. Brian

Don't know if I'd call 2 ramps "lots" - but yeah, opening day can be a zoo - even when they moved the opener from the end of April to the first weekend of March. The crappy weather will keep a lot of fair weather fishermen away. More will show up when the weather improves.

Good luck to the opening day peoples. Catch a brooder or two for me. I'll probably fish the lake in a couple weeks when i get the free time to fish again.

troutdude
troutdude
I went to Hagg for the first time, for last year's opener. It was an ABSOLUTE FREAKIN ZOO! Period! But, it was also 60 degrees by mid day, with peeps working on their tans. So, it was a weird combo of awesome weather and the season opener. Tomorrow it should be MUCH tamer, and plenty of fishable elbow room.

98nismo
I just got back first cast was right at dawn for me. No fish for me and not much for the people around me. One woman lost a huge trout probaly about 25 inches it jumped just like a salmon. Then 5 mins later it seems she caught the same fish and landed it. It ended up being 25.5 inches. About the crowd it wasn't bad at all you could fish in peace if you wanted too with a
Tiny bit of walking. Weather was great!