Update on Sandy? Coho timeline?

R
radke15
Hi i'm looking to fly fish the sandy as soon as possible. I've heard the coho should be coming in soon. Any tips or techniques how to catchem on the fly? also i'm not shy of hiking to get to better spots. the less people the better. When should the coho start showing up and where should i start?

O
OnTheDrop
Dodge, Oxbow.... NOW! Before the crowds come... Plenty of hos around right now. They like pink! ...

W
waco
Don't be mean man! He is not gonna find nothing right now!! :lol:

Reactions: Irishrover
S
SlamminSalmon
Cohos should be soon! I am gonna try hitting the banks near the end of the month and see what I can find

V
vanbrunt
Gonna hit it hard this weekend. Ho's should be down low in the system

T
Troutier Bassier
waco said:
Don't be mean man! He is not gonna find nothing right now!! :lol:

haha seriously! Nobody usually catches anything until late september.

S
SlamminSalmon
I live 4 minutes from the Oxbow Park gate and I won't go for about two weeks, should start filling in about then or a week or so later...typically

M
mccarrel
Wait for a rain, that usually brings a few fish up but at the moment scouting out holes is a good idea. Every once in awhile you might run into a late summer steelie but they're few and far between and mainly in the mid to upper system.

V
vanbrunt
Went out this weekend. Me plus two buddies at Cedar Creek from legal light until 10am. We used EVERY presentation between the three of us and we had no luck. But on our way out we saw one guy land a nice little chrome bright hatchery coho. They aren't there in numbers yet but maybe in a couple weeks.

S
SlamminSalmon
vanbrunt said:
Went out this weekend. Me plus two buddies at Cedar Creek from legal light until 10am. We used EVERY presentation between the three of us and we had no luck. But on our way out we saw one guy land a nice little chrome bright hatchery coho. They aren't there in numbers yet but maybe in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the update. Woke to a little rain this morning and all I could think about was running down and pitching a few spinners! I have heard a couple stories like yours, a few being caught early. I am trying to wait but may just head down one evening this week after work...you know...just to get my feet wet

C
ChezJfrey
SlamminSalmon said:
Thanks for the update. Woke to a little rain this morning and all I could think about was running down and pitching a few spinners! I have heard a couple stories like yours, a few being caught early. I am trying to wait but may just head down one evening this week after work...you know...just to get my feet wet

Yeah, that .02" of rain was quite the tease this morning :)

Irishrover
Irishrover
The coho are in thick in the Hammon Warrenton Astoria area. I plan headeding down there real soon. It will be a while before they hit the Sandy in good numbers. When they do come the fishermen will be there in good numbers too. If you can hit it mid weeek you have more room, or if you can drift the river you can find more room. Oxbow Park is a much better place to swing flies than Dodge Park. There is a lot more river to fish at Oxbow and pleanty of access. Dodge is a small place and get lot of pressure. It's harder to swing flies with that many folks there. For flies I like bunny leaches in purple and pink. Good luck and be safe.

Last edited:
S
SlamminSalmon
Couldn't help myself, went to Oxbow last night. I wasn't expecting to catch anything I just wanted to "pratice my casting" ;)
Saw a few rollers and watched a guy land one. Someone told me he saw 6 that day, 3 from the guy I watched land one. Don't know if they were hatchery or nates as I didn't see him keep any. I didn't expect to see or hear about that much activity quite yet as the rain has been late this year. Hope it is a good sign!

R
radke15
Hey guys thanks for the info. according to multiple fly shops and the ofdw the coho are officially in and fishing has begun for them. just another few questions for yall. is oxbow going to be packed? also, are there certain places to go for fly fisherman? and should i be blind casting or only casting for fish i see? also, i'm not used to having a lot of fishermen around. what is a good distance to keep between them for ediquite. lastly, all fish can be kept as long as they're hatchery right? aka steelhead coho etc? and does anyone know how long you can play the fish and still be able to release it safely and not have it die the next day?

Irishrover
Irishrover
The pressure on Oxbow varries. I'm assuming you are banking it? I would not bother fishing by the boat ramp, that is where folks plunk, and there might be a few people there. Walk up river from the boat ramp, there is a good trail and you'll find room. Another good spot to swing flies is the naked lady hole. It is the hole below the ramp. As you look down river from the boat ramp there is an island at the far end of the island the naked lady hole begins. You can park closer to it and walk down the trail to it. What is a good distance? Depends....are you single handing or spey fishing? If I show up and there are folks drift fishing or bobber fishing, I just move on to another hole. If they are swinging spoons, then it's a better fit. You sound like a person who doesn't mind walking, or wading so I'm sure you will find room. Fin clipped fish can be kept, but alway check because thing can change. Pick up a copy of the regs and read the posting at the park (yellow odfw signs stapled to trees by the river).

An other option for you might be Barton Park on the Clakamas River. There is a good strech of water to swing flies from over there. Good luck.

Last edited:
M
mccarrel
Went out to the lower part of Cedar today, light pressure and a few summers caught above but no coho sited.

R
radke15
Went out today for 6 hours, no such luck. Had one 16 inch rainbow eat my fly but spit the hook out afterwards. Talked to floaters... couple of jacks and kings caught as well as steelies but nothing with coho's. Kind of bummed will try again soon.

S
SlamminSalmon
These misty mornings are just laughing at us I feel like. My hunch is I am wasting my time but I'm gonna hit it again tomorrow morning. My parents have a place at Tilly Bay and he annihilated them last weekend, a couple 35 lbers. I hope I can land a couple on the Sandy before I hit the coast in a couple weeks but this lack of rain is keeping them from moving through. There will be a time though, rain or not where they just dart up and I REALLY don't want to miss it! If anyone has updates I appreciate if you let us know, I will continue to post about my ventures.

Good luck!

T
Troutier Bassier
I'm so excited for Coho! It sucks that we didn't get much rain this year though otherwise they'd be in good by now :(

J
john montana
i was out at cedar creek yesterday. saw one dead coho. I hooked 2 coho on a fly, lost them both. I also lost a chinook...i suck. i did see two fish caught by the flossers in the meat hole. it wasn't packed, so it was the most obvious snag line i've ever seen. 4-5 guys were there casting across the pool, waiting for the line to tighen and then jerking back as hard and as far as they could to try to snag something. pretty sad.

we need rain.