Fishing licenses for boy scouts

S
Spydeyrch
So I have a question that I am hoping some of you might know the answer to or at least be able to give me you opinion/suggestion.

This weekend I am going out camping with my church's Boy Scout troop. A few of them have previously shown interest in fishing and so I would like to .... help that interest grow.

The only issue is that none of them nor the other leaders, have licenses to fish. Some of them are younger than 14 while others are older than 14.

So my questions are (and perhaps this is better suited to just calling ODFW and asking them):

The regs state (I am paraphrasing) that a youth under 14 years of age can fish without the purchase of a general fishing license, as long as an adult is present and that adult has in her/his possession a valid general fishing license.

Does it just mean that at least one adult with a general fishing license needs to be present, independent of how many youth under 14 there are? So we could have 5 youth (just an example) under 14 fishing with just one adult, whom has a fishing license. Or is it just one youth per adult, and thus if there are 5 youth, then there needs to be 5 adults with fishing licenses?

I really would like these boys to find the joy in fishing. Many of them have seen me practicing my fly casting on the lawn prior to scouts starting every Thursday. And they seem interested. Some of them have even gone with me before and really enjoyed it.

So to try and get them out there fishing, I was going to get some 1 or 2 day fishing licenses to use up on our camping trip this coming weekend. My concern is, is it permissible/legal to purchase 1 or 2 day fishing licenses with the intent of giving them to the scouts to use? I haven't ever purchased an Oregon 1 or 2 day license. I always just purchase a flat-out general annual license. I know that the general license is under my name and SSN, etc. But I am not sure about the day licenses. I don't want to have to gather the boy's SSN as that would be a HUGE privacy concern for the parents and for my own saftey. Are the day licenses associated with SSN/Names? Or do they come blank and one has to fill them out for the day of use? Back in November of last year, I went down to Sacramento to do a little fishing for one day. I purchased a one day license and it came blank. I had to fill in my name, address, date of use, etc.

I am hoping that it works the same here. I would need to get about 6 - 8 licenses to make sure that the boys have an opportunity to fish, and the adults to if they would like to. I want to make sure that I keep everything legal. I recently read on here an article about a father and son duo that falsely purchased hunting and fowl licenses under other people's names. I don't even want it to appear like I am doing the same!!! :naughty::naughty: Got to set a good example for these boys and their parents.

Oh, and I do understand that once a license is associated with a person, it is non-transferable to a different person. One of the other adults asked why we couldn't just buy two licenses and then "share" them amongst ourselves, taking turns. It made me chuckle quite a bit. :lol::lol::lol:

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Should I just go straight to the source and ask ODFW if they have an solutions?

Oh, and we will be fishing Coffenbury Lake up in Ft. Steven's State Park.

Thanks for your input everyone!!

-Spydey

Q
qwapaw
I don't think there is a number of kids that can fish with an adult with a valid licence. When I take the Grand Kids there are 2 of them, and it has been no problem. Just make sure the adult is with the kids, helping them fish. I saw a fellow last year that was part of a big brother program, that took 2 young boys to JC Pond and went and set in his Lexus and didn't help them. They couldn't even tie a hook on, so I set them up and gave them some baith that would catch fish. They both caught a couple of planters by the time I left and they sure were happy. They just wanted to spend so quality time with someone fisahing. Have fun, and watch out for the snow line. Tight Lines, Qwapaw

C
ChezJfrey
For Oregon, the license for under 14 is free and can be obtained online. Just print the result and they can fish immediately while waiting for the official to arrive. Just gather them at a computer and set them all up.

M
Mad dog
ChezJfrey said:
For Oregon, the license for under 14 is free and can be obtained online. Just print the result and they can fish immediately while waiting for the official to arrive. Just gather them at a computer and set them all up.

Easy!!! :clap: Or just stop at the local sporting goods store with them and get their license's printed right before you head out, probably take less than 20 minutes to do all 5.

S
Spydeyrch
Do the boys need to have some kind of government ID? some of them just turned 12 and one is even still 11. I doubt that the younger ones would have ID cards. Is it required?

-Spydey

C
ChezJfrey
Spydeyrch said:
Do the boys need to have some kind of government ID? some of them just turned 12 and one is even still 11. I doubt that the younger ones would have ID cards. Is it required?

-Spydey

No. My kids are 5, 7 and 9 and don't have anything like that. I just needed SSN to get the licenses online.

M
Mad dog
ChezJfrey said:
No. My kids are 5, 7 and 9 and don't have anything like that. I just needed SSN to get the licenses online.

It doesn't take much, a couple of years back we got a non-res. fishing license for a foreign exchange student from Germany, didn't take much! He wasn't even from this country and he was fishing within 20 minutes!

G
GDBrown
If the boys do catch fish and don't have a license then the fish are counted as part of the adults limit. So if you have five boys under 14 without a license and the daily limit of the water is 5 then each boy could catch one fish on your license. Hope this is helpful.