Is 3 rivers a navigable river or not?

B
bigcat
Just read the whole speel on odfw's website and im still kinda confused about if the river is deemed navigable or non. A request was submitted 4 years ago to have an official study done and nothing has been done about it? Kayakers and tooners float that section of the river daily during the peak steelhead run, so I guess it would be a navigable river right?. "Game on" come this December!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
i'm not possitive,but i'm pretty sure if you have waders you can walk that river down to it's confluence with the nestucca. it's generally a shallow river.

-brandon

B
beaverfan
There are 13 rivers in Oregon that have had all or some stretches deemed as navigable. Three Rivers is not one of those rivers.

B
bigdog
beaverfan said:
There are 13 rivers in Oregon that have had all or some stretches deemed as navigable. Three Rivers is not one of those rivers.

13? I thought it was less then that but I could be wrong though.

B
beaverfan
Sorry I mis-spoke, there are only 12. Chetco, Columbia, Coos, Coquille, John Day, Klamath, Mckenzie, Rogue, Sandy, Snake, Umpqua and Willamette.

B
bigdog
beaverfan said:
Sorry I mis-spoke, there are only 12. Chetco, Columbia, Coos, Coquille, John Day, Klamath, Mckenzie, Rogue, Sandy, Snake, Umpqua and Willamette.

:lol:

H
halibuthitman
beaverfan said:
it is accepted by the state that if a river has a state or county operated drift or jet boat launch above tidewater that the sections between the launch and the take-out are by default deemed navigatable waters and the high water rule is in play.. but only to the location of the highest put in on that river.

B
beaverfan
halibuthitman said:
it is accepted by the state that if a river has a state or county operated drift or jet boat launch above tidewater that the sections between the launch and the take-out are by default deemed navigatable waters and the high water rule is in play.. but only to the location of the highest put in on that river.

That's good to know, makes sense.

H
halibuthitman
I beat a ticket on the Necanicum by proving it was a routine float for several drift boats a week ( provided a video of myself ) and it has 2 launches that are published in 3 books and one odf posting..

B
bigdog
That is very good to know, thanks for sharing that with us.

CJ

E
everett464
This is interesting that this should come up, because I recently did some work on a real property dispute where the navigability of the S. Umpqua was in question. The Oregon Department of State Lands does the study, and the studies are done roughly in priority of the order the request come in. The Rogue was the last approval, and the S. Umpqua is due to be done next (there was also a whole lot of bureaucratic stuff that I learned that is somewhat irrelevant, but I found pretty cool anyway).

Anywho, I don't know where a study on 3 rivers stands, or if it has been requested at all, but with 13 years from request to completion, it is not a quick process.

I don't know that this actually adds anything to the conversation, but I thought I'd share the information, as I found it fascinating.

S
Steelheader4Life
It's not considered a navigatable river but you can walk it from the S corners to the mouth if you know what you are doing and you stay on the side that is not private property. Kayakers and tooners do not float it at all (fishing from a floating device is not allowed). You can drift from the mouth of 3 Rivers to Cloverdale on the Nestucca, but you can't drift 3 Rivers itself.

B
Bean
That not right. You can float down 3 Rivers in anything you want. You just can't fish from it. There is nothing illegal about dropping in a raft at Cedar Creek and floating as far as you want.

Last edited:
O
osmosis
here is a list directly from ODFW that they mailed me with my guide registration packet-

Federally navigable waters in Oregon:

alsea bay & river to RM 13
bear creek (coos)
beaver slough
big creek (lane)
big creek slough
blind slough (including gnat creek)
bonneville channel
bradbury slough
burnside channel
calandar slough
canal creek (mouth to bridge to RM .06)
catching slough (mouth to RM 6)
cathlamet bay
chetco cove
chetco river
clatskanie river
clifton channel
coalbank slough
columbia river
columbia slough
coos bay
coos river
coos river south fork
cooston channel
coquille river
coquille river north fork
dean creek
depoe bay
duncan slough
eslick creek
gardiner channel
goble channel
government island channel
haynes slough
hood river
hudson slough (farey creek)
isthumus slough
joe ney slough
john day river (astoria)
john day river (the dalles)
kentucky slough
kilches river
knappa slough
larson slough
lewis and clark river
mcintosh slough
mskenzie river
mill creek (on umpqua)
millicoma river
millport slough
molalla river
multnomah channel
necanicum river
nehalem bay
nehalem river
nehalem river (north fork)
nestucca bay
nestucca river (big and little)
netarts bay
noel creek
north slough (coos)
oregon slough (N portland harbor)
oswego canal
oswego lake
palouse slough
port orford
prairie channel
pulaski creek
randolph slough
rogue river
sand lake
santiam river
siletz bay
siletz river
siuslaw river
siuslaw river (north fork)
skipanon river
smith river
snake river
sough slough (coos)
swan island lagoon
tillamook bay
tillamook river
tualatin river
umpqua river (including south fork)
walker island channel
wallace slough
wallooskee river (walluski)
warren slough
westport slough
willamette river
willanch slough
winchester bay
yachats river
yamhill river
yaquina bay
yaquina river
youngs bay
youngs river

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
holy **** thats a mouthful

O
osmosis
food.jpg

here's a pic of the page ODFW mailed me.

Last edited:
C
capblack
thats my bucket list. but first im gonna go out in the morning and stick an arrow in a big fat cow elk. sorry for getting off topic, but that list made me want to go fishing, Brian

H
halibuthitman
that list is missing a sh*t load of rivers... Just sayin'.......... ( did I use Just sayin right guys?)

so the wilson, sandy, big D, and about 45 other rivers with state boat launches aren't on there... and the necanicum, one I had to fight a ticket all the way into court on.... is? I think that list is about 25 years out of date-

O
osmosis
that's what ODFW mailed this month. Who knows how current it is, but with the nearly 100 that they do list, it sure is a hell of a lot more than 12. I noticed a good number that I fish (that have launches) that aren't on there as well.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
its good info, and a nice start, I think the key is the word FEDERAL... many of oregons rivers are probably considered navigatble on a state level...but not a federal level... we could really get all lawyered up on this one- Thanks for the list