Fishing on the green: golf course fishing

S
sportsmanlio
I went with a buddy to a golf course here in town, and we fished from shore and from an inflatable kayak to land more than 50 fish apiece in about two hours. Numerous largemouths, and a few yellow perch and pumpkinseed made up the day's catch.

None of the bass were very big (probably stunted), but they sure were plentiful and easy to catch. Golfers just watched us warily, as we pulled in fish after fish right in front of them. The straights were quite large, and more than 30 feet deep in places (we were told), but they sure held fish. Unfortunately, we did lose a cheap old ultralight rod to the depths when we were paddling.

The best fish of the day was a 7" pumpkinseed my friend caught not two feet from shore. It was about 5.5 ounces--less than 2 ounces off the state record. The one below is not that big one...just a particularly pretty fish. All of the fish we caught had very clear markings.

Truly a unique experience!

T
TTFishon
Sounds like a fun day on the water. Thanks for sharing.

D
DYJ
that's a crazy looking fish! good times for sure...

I'm surprised a golf course would let ya out there...

Y
Yogidabear
Emerald valley golf course in creswell on the 17 hole has a bunch of huge trout, I scuba dive and was down there picking up golf balls and they were swimming around with me Probably wondering what I was doing in there pond.

T
TTFishon
Yogidabear said:
Emerald valley golf course in creswell on the 17 hole has a bunch of huge trout, I scuba dive and was down there picking up golf balls and they were swimming around with me Probably wondering what I was doing in there pond.

I've always wondered about that pond. Wasn't thinking trout though. Did you see any bass?

Y
Yogidabear
Yes a couple but the trout were everywhere

T
TTFishon
Wow, crazy! They'd probably frown on people fishing there. lol

Sorry for the hijack sportsmanlio.

C
cowboysfan
That is cool I am sure golfers are not used to people angling in ponds. did you have to get permission to fish it?

C
colt
cowboysfan said:
That is cool I am sure golfers are not used to people angling in ponds. did you have to get permission to fish it?

That would remind me of that episode of "Duck Dynasty" when they went to the golf course after dark to catch frogs. That would be such a laugh.

Anyways, looks like a crazy fish and sounds like a good day. Just wondering, did you guys have to duck every time you heard "FORE!"?

S
sportsmanlio
Haha, no worries TTFishon! No, we got permission from the homeowner my buddy was house sitting for. They mentioned that they fished it all the time. It is more like a series of interconnected canals than a pond, but there were lots of kayaks and paddle boats on the waterfront.

Kind of a weird place to fish, though. I've been here for my whole life, and I'd never heard of anyone fishing there. There is another golf course in town that has a pond stocked with perch and catfish that used to be a pay-to-fish trout pond, but that is no more.

M
Mad dog
The Running Y??? That pond used to be Darren Roe's personal casting pond for giving flyshing lessons back when Jeld-wen owned the resort.....it's packed with puny panfish!

S
sportsmanlio
It was stocked with trophy trout for years. It used to cost more than $100 a day to flyfish there--catch and release. Without water quality management, all of the trout died, and perch, bullheads, and panfish took over. Though I don't think you could get in trouble for fishing there, it probably isn't worth the effort.

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Here's a trivia question for you.

What product name might you and one of the golfers have had in common?

S
sportsmanlio
Hmm...perhaps sunglasses? You got me.

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks