Rock fish/lings?

R
rainORsnow1
Anybody having luck with fishing the N. Jetty at yaquina Lately. Will be making a trip from Portland and have heard fishing can be productive. This is my only choice for fish seeing how my boat is too small for open water. Any report on crabbing would be great too!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have no idea how to fish it but I tried last week with no luck on the south jetty. I'll be back there for work this week so I'd love to hear anybody having any luck and how they're doing it.

I was casting white and green klauser minnow using a shooting head sink tip fly line.

B
BobbiDollPDX
We went Rock Fishing outside of Yaquina yesterday and it was sad. The crabbing was great but most boats were reporting very few fish. On a more positive note, there was a pod of orcas under the bridge yesterday afternoon.

S
Shark 13
I was out on the south jetty a couple of weeks ago. Caught a bunch of bass but nothing of any decent size. This time of year the bass fishing is "ok" but imo i think the best time of year is February-April. That's when you starting getting into the 2lbs+ bass out there. This time of year i use pretty light tackle/setup. I'm using my trout poles with 8lbs test line and for bait I use 3inch Mr.Twister curly tale grub with a 1/4oz jig head (you can find it at bi-mart). Last time i was out i put on a original top water Rapala on my wifes fishing pole and told her to have fun and she did. Kinda cool to watch the bass come out of the water and hit the bait. Best time to fish for bass is at sunset/night. When you look at the North jetty and see the top of the sun go below the top of the rocks....fish on.

R
rum runner
im gona try to get out there tonight with my brother ill have my fly rod so ill stand out if any one els is out there hope to have a few pics up in the morn.

F
fishtales
Fished the South Jetty over the weekend. Caught small Sea Bass at night and big Cabezon durring the day. The weather was a bit overcast saterday but still managed to get some sun and make a good trip out of it taking home five (5) cabezon.

Last edited:
R
rainORsnow1
Were u using rapalas for the cabezon? Colors?

S
sportsmanlio
I fish the South Jetty a few times every year. I've never caught a rockfish or ling, but I have caught lots of Kelp Greenling, Sculpin, Redtail, Calico, and Striped Surfperch. You also get the occasional sanddab or crab. I've seen people catch Ling and California Halibut from there, but that is pretty rare.

I was just there this weekend, and in about an hour we had one sanddab between us, and that's it. Fishing the outlying areas will be more productive. I got two Lingcod, 3 Black Rockfish, 1 Grass Rockfish, 3 Kelp Greenling, and 3 Calico Surfperch fishing from shore more towards Gold Beach. Biggest Lingcod was 26" and an ounce shy of 6 pounds.

All that to say, it is doable, if the conditions are right. Use fish bait for rockfish and lings, or try artificial lures.

I've caught small lings off the beach at night near the Winchuck River Mouth, which is pretty awesome to experience. It just takes patience and a lot of legwork to find the honeyholes. Good luck!

S
sportsmanlio
fishtales, just so you know, the limit on Cabezon is 1 per day, with a minimum length of 16"--not 5. I only say this so you know, and the next time you don't put yourself at risk of getting a ticket or over-harvesting a threatened fishery. Cabezon has closed several times over the past few years, which is unfortunate. You're allowed 7 bottom fish per day, of which only 1 may be a Cabezon.

F
fishtales
Spotsmanlio - Thanks for letting me know. Just so you know, I was not fishing alone and I only caught one 16 + inch Cabezon myself all day, that and a bunch of crab. So, no risk involved for me..

RainORsnow - I caught mine using a Gamakatsu jig head and a white mino grub with a little more wait a few feet above the jig head. A combo of root beer and white colored grub work good also.

S
sportsmanlio
Good to hear, and congrats!

S
sportsmanlio
No kidding, I just got the following notice from ODFW not 15 minutes ago:

"Anglers from boats may no longer keep cabezon

Beginning Saturday, July 21, 2012 sport anglers fishing from boats may not retain cabezon. Fishing for other bottomfish – such as most rockfish species, lingcod and greenling – remains open.

Landing data for the sport fishery indicates the ocean and estuary boat quota of 15.8 metric tons for cabezon has been met. Sport boat anglers may continue to harvest other legal species, but may not retain cabezon. Shore anglers, including shore-based divers, may still keep cabezon, as the shore fishery is managed under a seperate quota.

Cabezon have an excellent survival rate when released, unlike rockfish, cabezon do not have swim bladders and therefore do not suffer from barotrauma (expansion or rupture of the swim bladder when the fish are brought up from deep waters) that can cause stress, injury, and sometimes death in rockfish."

R
rainORsnow1
Got a link so I can get the odfw updates?

R
rainORsnow1
Thanks. U the man

S
sportsmanlio
Haha, your welcome. :dance:

M
mahmichael
I'm planing to try salt water fishing this weekend. I'm from Corvallis so I'll be going to Newport. I want to do both surf fishing or on a jetty, I've just never done this and not familiar with the area. Could you show me some area that might be productive? I'm not expecting anything huge or large numbers. I just want to be in the area that might be some fish in it!
I come back from 90% of my steelhead/salmon fishing trips empty handed so I'm familiar with the feeling!!

Any suggestion, PM maybe?! Thanks.

R
rainORsnow1
From the jetty head to the end on an incoming tide. Cast jigs with 1-2 oz. Weight. For bottom fish. Buy a crappie rig with two hooks and a 8" dropper with a pyramid weight. Top hook sand shrimp. Bottom hood clamnecks for perch. When u find a school of perch they'll most likely be moving towards shore slowly following the tide in. You'll most likely encounter a bunch of crab so use fmedium tackle