Golden?

C
cowboysfan
Has anyone caught a Golden Trout here in Oregon? That is one of the 2 Trout I have not netted the other is a Tiger.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
There was a recent posting about a member catching one. Try doing a word search, it should come up.

A
alm21
They're stocked at Horning's Hideout.

Hornings05-06-1205.jpg

bass
bass
Are you sure that is a golden trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita)? it looks more like a golden rainbow (palomino trout). They are different species. Golden trout are typically very yellow and marked quite vibrantly. We use to catch palominos that looked like that in PA. They were stocked by fish and game.

T
the_intimidator03
It is true that the palomino trout is also called a "golden" where the actual Golden Trout is another species all together, So there is a bit of confusing as to which trout you are actually asking about

C
cpeaslee
It's my understanding that the closest source to Oregon that actually holds Golden Trout is in the Olympic Peninsula - I have fished for them in the back country of the Sierra's; however I do not believe they are present in Oregon.

C
cowboysfan
I think I read somewhere that they are present in Oregon. I believe it was a ODFW article, that is the reason for the post.

A
alm21
bass said:
Are you sure that is a golden trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita)? it looks more like a golden rainbow (palomino trout). They are different species. Golden trout are typically very yellow and marked quite vibrantly. We use to catch palominos that looked like that in PA. They were stocked by fish and game.

jts

No I'm not. In fact, I really wasn't familiar with the GT until we went there but people were referring to them as GT. That fish could very well be a golden rainbow. I've heard that they may be considered an albino fish. Sounds like the term Golden Trout is used too loosely. Sorry for any confusion.

T
the_intimidator03
the Palomino trout (just to keep it straight and cause less confusion) are stocked at Hornings Hideout as Alm21 mentioned. And Cowboy... have you played with lohantan(sp) cutthroat trout?

C
cowboysfan
sunsalem said:
Where are they found?
This is a photo of a true Golden Trout, I did not research golden rainbows however I do believe that may be what Alm21 has posted photo's of in this thread.

C
cowboysfan
the_intimidator03 said:
the Palomino trout (just to keep it straight and cause less confusion) are stocked at Hornings Hideout as Alm21 mentioned. And Cowboy... have you played with lohantan(sp) cutthroat trout?
no I have not!

R
R.Gertken
I've read articles of people catching them in Eagle Cap wilderness back in the 80's. The Oregon weight record for them comes from that area. Anyone know anything more recent? I did a research paper on them a wile back, and they originated from the Kerns river area in califorinia, but in the late 19th century people transplanted them to other areas like the Tahoe are. They have been stocked in lakes around Nevada, Wyoming, and other western states.

Last edited: