Klamath River Rainbows

F
fishfry
Just a warning though I've had strength problems with it in the cold but it was pretty cold and I use 6lb line. There are some good swivels that give it almost as much movement to. Ill try and find the package so I can remember what brand.

Last edited:
W
waco
thanks for the info!!!! i was just joking about your lures. Great info!!! thanks for sharing!!!

O
OnTheFly
Man, you're just slaying them with those lures! If I were to pick a fly to use I would try to match your lures not the hatch.LOL. To imitate the Panther Martins I would probably pull a #6 yellow or black wooly bugger through there and for the Repalas a Zonker Minnow. Whadiathink.:think:

F
fishfry
Hey thnks onthefly. Ill keep that in mind. Ya I do love the rapalas as you can tell lol. Im all about trying new things but they have been producing so consistently for me that... well I just can't find a reason not to. I believe its all about the way you work them to. If I just reeled them in I don't think id catch 80 % of these fish.

F
fishfry
The only thing im worried about in there is if I can get those flys deep enough... and casting. Looks like I better learn spey casting to some form since all these holes have a rock cliff directly behind you.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
fishfry said:
The only thing im worried about in there is if I can get those flys deep enough... and casting. Looks like I better learn spey casting to some form since all these holes have a rock cliff directly behind you.

how far out are these fish???

F
fishfry
Depends on the pool. On my most productive spot the really fast water comes by the bank and there is a huge calm section on the other side of it that goes for a good 150+ ft, which is where I get allot of them. The other hole has a back flow section along a rock cliff with the fast water/rapids on the far side. In that hole I catch 90% of my fish right off the cliff (this spot will be much easier to reach with a fly). I'm headed down there tomorrow so I'll try and get some good pics of the holes to post up and get feedback on.

brandon4455
brandon4455
have you tried the rainbow colored rapala? i bet they would eat the sh*t out of that color

F
fishfry
I have but they don't seem to like that one very much. The black and silver matches the minnows they are feeding on so that is the one they really seem to like.

F
fishfry
Main pool pics

Main pool pics

O.K. Here are some pics of one of the pools I fish. Hopefully you can read what I wrote on the pics. The first one is of the top end where the rapids come into the pool. The second and third are of the same hole in the main part #2 is the upper half and #3 the lower half. It is quite a large area. These pictures are taken from above to give a better view. In picture two I drew a couple arrows to where I stand. The fast water moves by the bank where you stand. Across the pool about halfway the water is slow but still deep. There's a slightly raised rock ridge (as best I can tell) between the fast and slow water. It only raises slightly though and this is where I pick up quite a few of my fish. Anyway let me know what you think.

• pool 3.jpg
  • Pool 2.jpg
  • Pool 1.jpg
Last edited:
B
bigsteel
wow,excellent digram of the pics fishfry,,,my mouth is watering now wanting to swing a fly throught there

troutdude
troutdude
bigsteel said:
wow,excellent digram of the pics fishfry,,,my mouth is watering now wanting to swing a fly throught there

Have fly rod, will travel, eh? :lol::lol:

B
bigsteel
you know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F
fishfry
So any advice for flyfishing that hole after looking at the diagram? Its probably about 7-10ft, maybe 15ft in the deepest part. The slower water on the other side is probably anywhere from 5-8 ft deep.

B
bigsteel
i would swing big leech patterns through there and strip them back,judging by the size of those fish they are eating healthy,,or you could throw some nymphs through the shallower pools,use like e big stonefly nymph with a smaller prince nymph for a dropper.

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah bro i agree with dave leech,sculpin and zonkers are going do be your friends for those big fish

M
Mad dog
One tactic that has worked well for me on the Klamath to fish where the back eddy flows around and meets the main current. I would fish dark leeches, grey zonkers or possibly a muddler right along the seem between the current and the back eddy. Type IV sinking line, let the main current carry the fly into the back eddy, if it's a deep back eddy I would fish deep and slow in the colds flows right now, In the warmer months I have seen dozens of trout feeding in the foam patches trapped where the back eddy meets the main current.

F
fishfry
Well I just hit it up again today. Water lvl and color were about perfect but it's been real cold for the last week or more so the bite was slow. I landed four but they made me work hard for them. Smallest was about 17, one was 21 and the biggest... well ill post a pic of it in a bit. Well just say it was a HOG. On my way home now :)

S
skunk
If I had trout fishing like that near me, I'd never go after steel again!!!

W
waco
fishfry said:
Well I just hit it up again today. Water lvl and color were about perfect but it's been real cold for the last week or more so the bite was slow. I landed four but they made me work hard for them. Smallest was about 17, one was 21 and the biggest... well ill post a pic of it in a bit. Well just say it was a HOG. On my way home now :)
I can't wait for those pics!!!! :protest: