Backing?

T
TTFishon
Do I really need to use backing. My reel isn't that big and I have 82ft of fly line so do I really need to use backing?

T
the_intimidator03
what wt is the reel/rod combo? I would run the flyline on and see how much gap you have left on the spool... that gap should be about 1/4 inch or less. if it is like that with the fly line alone. I would just run a small amount of backing for cushion.

T
TTFishon
Yeah, I thought about doing that but I'm being lazy. lol

T
the_intimidator03
i hear ya. i thought my little 3wt set up reel was TINY but i put a bunch of backing on it and fly line. spooled the flyline on first then the backing(taped to flyline) and found a point that was pretty full. marked it and took it off and cut the backing and wound it on the reel the right way.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ted,backing is ideal a redside over 16 inches could easily spool you.

G
GDBrown
I load my reels by putting the tip end of the fly line onto the spool, reel it all on, tie on the backing and reel on as much as I need to get the reel full and then back it all OFF and load from the backing end as normal. Having as much backing on the reel as possible will help keep the fly line from developing memory coils which can really be a pain when you are using light fly gear. Just a thought from someone who has done it both ways and regreted being lazy.

GD

J
john montana
Short answer...not unless you fish for carp.

3235603f.jpg

Long answer, on most trout scenarios backing is there to fill your spool. The closer you fly line is to the spool the more you have to reel and the more "coiled" your line can get. Not really an issue with large arbor reels.

L
lilsalmon
Once you get that line on let me know....we got us a little creek to try it out on.....

T
TTFishon
lilsalmon said:
Once you get that line on let me know....we got us a little creek to try it out on.....

I should have it on by noon today.

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
I should have it on by noon today.

Are ya done yet? are ya done yet?!

Hope you went with backing lol don't be lazy Ted.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
Are ya done yet? are ya done yet?!

Hope you went with backing lol don't be lazy Ted.

Yep, I'm done. I just eyeballed the amount. Apparently fly casting is like riding a bike. It was no problem casting 30 to 40 ft, without a leader anyway. lol

Kudo's to the Caddis Fly shop in Eugene. I bought my fly line there and they gave me a free spool of backing and a free 9' tapered leader.

J
JeannaJigs
Did you buy the reel there? or just the line? I'm surprised. I have never had a positive experience there, I finally quit going. I might have been received better if I was buying fly materials for flies, but they did not approve of jigs. such sacrilege those jigs!

T
TTFishon
No, I bought my reel at Cabelas. I think it's the same reel as yours. I was hesitant to go there but I was looking for a brand that Brandon recommended and couldn't find it anywhere and had an hour to kill before picking my wife up from work. At first I walked in, walked straight over to their flyline selection, saw the prices and thought F this and they stopped me right before I was about to exit the place and talked me into buying some line that's suppose to be the same as the brand Brandon suggested. They told me I didn't need backing but gave me a free spool anyway.

brandon4455
brandon4455
really? that sucks jeanna, ive never had a bad experience with them.. very nice people to say the least. i buy most of my gear there. and ted, one thing to remember, if you dont like spending money tapered leaders you dont need to use them. i use that perfection loop on a 3ft section of 10-30lb mono then double surgeons knot 7ft of tippet to that. saves a lot of money.
did they happen to set you up with an airflo velocity fly line???? i was thinking of buying some for my steelhead rod thats the most identical to cortland 333+ they have and it's only 33 bucks i think

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
brandon4455 said:
really? that sucks.. ive never had a bad experience with them, very nice people to say the least. i buy most of my gear there. and ted, one thing to remember, if you dont like spending money tapered leaders you dont need to use them. i use that perfection loop on a 3ft section of 10-30lb mono then double surgeons knot 7ft of tippet to that. saves a lot of money,

Yeah, I use to make my own leaders before and that's what I was planning on doing but if they want to give me a free one then I'll take it. lol

J
JeannaJigs
That's great if you get good service, but if you don't that place just blows. I think it also comes down to it being a "good ol' boys club" in there...they see me come in in my scrubs and dismiss me as woman that doesn't know anything, they always have the assumption i'm shopping for someone else. In which case, you would think they would be more willing to help, but it's the opposite. It's just never been positive, and I've been in there many, many times. I am glad there is another shop in town with better prices and better customer service.

brandon4455
brandon4455
JeannaJigs said:
That's great if you get good service, but if you don't that place just blows. I think it also comes down to it being a "good ol' boys club" in there...they see me come in in my scrubs and dismiss me as woman that doesn't know anything, they always have the assumption i'm shopping for someone else. In which case, you would think they would be more willing to help, but it's the opposite. It's just never been positive, and I've been in there many, many times. I am glad there is another shop in town with better prices and better customer service.

sorry to hear you had to deal with that ********... what happend to people being treated equal??? jeebus.

L
lilsalmon
Too bad I have to work today....tomorrow we are heading out somewhere but not sure where yet. Personally, I go with tapered leaders. If I need to add to it then I use tippet. If I am going to tie everything together and make my own leader, I should just go toss some gear...hehe....just kidding. Not really. That is just a personal choice...has nothing to do with my Simms waders..hahahaha. I have had good luck with the fly shop also.....I was hitting the river with a friend and realized I was lacking on some flies...I placed an order on line and then called them. They had them all ready for me the next morning when I went in. Also gave me some extra flies that he said I would need. Can't remember his name. Then we played with some rods and he answered some of my questions and I went on my way......Typically, though, women do get treated different....they hate me at Home Depot cuz I know more than they do.....;)

F
FlyBum
john montana said:
Short answer...not unless you fish for carp.

3235603f.jpg

Long answer, on most trout scenarios backing is there to fill your spool. The closer you fly line is to the spool the more you have to reel and the more "coiled" your line can get. Not really an issue with large arbor reels.

That's what you get for trying to load an 8 wt. line onto your 5/6 reel!! You'll run out of backing fast, just kidding, kinda.

I got taken into my backing twice today on the Lower river. I would always put backing on to the reel, unless you don't like to catch big fish that have the potential to take you into your backing?? The choice is up to you.......

Last edited:
J
jimmy