Makes no sense

H
hvacr1
so the odfw lists three sizes of trout they stock legals, larger, trophy. Why is it that (hagg lake for example) they only show legals for trout stocking all year when you know damn well they put 5 and 10 pound plus trout in there. There are many other local ponds that are stocked that have fish that are in the larger range but they only list that they put in legals as well and some of these ponds there is no way there are any holdovers due to high water temps and low water levels. I'm just saying if your gonna categorize it then do it if not then just tell everyone how many your putting in and its a surprise.

B
Berg03
Brooders do not get listed as a stocking schedule. So those trout over 20 inches do not show on the list. Also, hagg lake gets a ton of fish that hold over through the closed months. And there are native trouts from the rivers that head in the lake.

Reactions: Kevinb5688
troutdude
troutdude
Why are you complaining? Don't you like finding HUGE trout by surprise? And its not really a surprise. Read the weekly Recreation Reports.

troutdude
troutdude
Berg03 said:
Brooders do not get listed as a stocking schedule. So those trout over 20 inches do not show on the list. Also, hagg lake gets a ton of fish that hold over through the closed months. And there are native trouts from the rivers that head in the lake.

Yep, that too. There was an 18 incher posted earlier today from Hagg. That fish was so chunky, that it had to be a holdover.

J
JeannaJigs
There's not enough hours in a day to psychoanalyze all the bizarre things ODFW does, but I can think of about fifty things higher on the list than the jack in the box surprise factor of larger than listed pellet heads. I think ODFW is just lazy.

M
Modest_Man
Have you guys seen the following the stocking truck gets with the 8-10" plants? Think how many "people" would be stalking the stocking truck if they listed the brooders.

Reactions: Kevinb5688
K
Kevinb5688
Modest_Man said:
Have you guys seen the following the stocking truck gets with the 8-10" plants? Think how many "people" would be stalking the stocking truck if they listed the brooders.

Thats funny.
And for all of the people that do hunt around for "pellet heads", you live in oregon. You can catch salmon, steelhead, and native trout all year long. Not to mention awsome jetty fishing, and warm water species in every pond or slough. If you want to get the girlfriend or kids into fish i understand.
But 50 full grown men sitting at jc pond with powerbait on a rainy day hunkered in there car looking at there rod trough the swipe of the windshield wipers. Come on. Odfw site will tell you where to go and this site will tell you how to catch other fish species that dont taste like a dry jar of corn flavored powerbait.

bass
bass
I agree that chasing stockers is not great sport and I usually only do it with the kids (or if I have an hour to kill). However, in looking around the lake while I am fishing with my kids it appears that a lot of the folks there may not have the money necessary for gas to fish other than in close by waters. To me it looks like a lot of the folks that you are mocking might be fishing for food. How many limits does it take to pay for your license? I am not sure. I am happy that I can afford to go fishing different places and have enough money to own the equipment necessary to fish for different species. However, I know that this is not true for everyone and so I try and keep an open mind when I see folks fishing intensely for stocked trout. While for me it is a fun way to spend time with the kids, for others it may be something far more important.

troutdude
troutdude
bass said:
I agree that chasing stockers is not great sport and I usually only do it with the kids (or if I have an hour to kill). However, in looking around the lake while I am fishing with my kids it appears that a lot of the folks there may not have the money necessary for gas to fish other than in close by waters. To me it looks like a lot of the folks that you are mocking might be fishing for food. How many limits does it take to pay for your license? I am not sure. I am happy that I can afford to go fishing different places and have enough money to own the equipment necessary to fish for different species. However, I know that this is not true for everyone and so I try and keep an open mind when I see folks fishing intensely for stocked trout. While for me it is a fun way to spend time with the kids, for others it may be something far more important.

Well said!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

M
Modest_Man
bass said:

Volunteering with the ODFW STEP program for youth anglers has closed my once open mind. You see the same "adults" at different lakes around Oregon playing catch and "release" on the 8-10" stockers so they can take home their limit of trophy trout that were planted for young kids to catch. I'll be out there in April at St. Louis Ponds cleaning up their trash and helping teach the next generation about responsible fishing. At least last year ODFW got smart and had OSP on hand when the stocking occurred...

B
Born2Fish55
Berg03 said:

And that is why all Cutthroat Trout in Hagg Lake should be released unharmed... they are all most all natives since I believe ODFW no longer raises Cutthroat for planting.