Old fisherman needs advice

J
jerr1939
I have caught my share of Kokenee long lining but bot couple downrigger for when Kokes go deep in GP. Need advice and tips how to rig them up for next summer. Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks,,,,Jerr

O
ol tymer
You might try attaching your ford fenders or flashers directly to your downrigger weight. Usually 3 or 4 will suffice coupled together to form a 6 or 8 ft string. Then fish your lure at the required depth about 20-30 feet behind your boat. This has worked very well.

J
jerr1939
That is exactly the type of info I need, Thanks for your reply Jerr

C
capblack
there is tons of info here pertaining to gp and koke fishing, just do some searching. then when the time comes and you have questions, ask away. Brian

S
steelhead1
We often got limits with the flashers or fenders,trailed with a wedding ring tipped with shoepeg corn, and dipped in tuna oil.Of coarse finding the fish, and knowing their depth is key....:)

J
John B
When my fishin crew and I troll GP, we generally use down riggers and go to a depth of
between 35 and 65 ft. Time of the year and water temps dictate this. We use sling blades
for flashers and the small 000 flashers. This in turn uses a short leader 16 to 18 inches in length
attached to a mini hoochie. Try different colors, blue,sometimes pink or whatever. rigg your hoochie
just as if you were salmon fishing in the ocean, complete with double hooks. Tip your hooks with white
shoepegg corn thats been cured in tuna oil. When all else fails or you want a change of pace thats a real kick in the pants, go down to the dam and try jigging. Both of these techniques produce large catch rates at GP. By the way, happy holidays everyone.

J
jerr1939
Thanks John, I am keeping all the suggestions to try, Hope to see some of you at GP next summer. If you see a 17 Sylvan with the name MARIE on side give a holler. Living in Albany I can be in water in about a hour from leaving house, hope to see some of you there. Jerr

J
John B
Sure hope you dont wait till summer to fish GP. This fishrie starts in late march or early April.
If you see a 17 ft Sylvan with PAPAS boat on the side, that would be me.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
John B said:
When my fishin crew and I troll GP, we generally use down riggers and go to a depth of
between 35 and 65 ft. Time of the year and water temps dictate this. We use sling blades
for flashers and the small 000 flashers. This in turn uses a short leader 16 to 18 inches in length
attached to a mini hoochie. Try different colors, blue,sometimes pink or whatever. rigg your hoochie
just as if you were salmon fishing in the ocean, complete with double hooks. Tip your hooks with white
shoepegg corn thats been cured in tuna oil. When all else fails or you want a change of pace thats a real kick in the pants, go down to the dam and try jigging. Both of these techniques produce large catch rates at GP. By the way, happy holidays everyone.

Sure didn't take you long to become a great contributor! Thanks for sharing valuable info.
jerr1939 said:
Thanks John, I am keeping all the suggestions to try, Hope to see some of you at GP next summer. If you see a 17 Sylvan with the name MARIE on side give a holler. Living in Albany I can be in water in about a hour from leaving house, hope to see some of you there. Jerr

Gotta love the Caring & Sharing that goes on around here! Good catchin' to ya.

J
jerr1939
B looking for you come April at GP, looking at your pic of your boat, though,,"that sure kinda looks like mine" LOL

F
fish4life
I bought a couple of mini downriggers from scotty and used 4# downrigger weights was fishing with flash light lake trolls and uv wedding rings with corn soaked in anise about 50-60 feet deep at green peter got 6 fish on them compared to one fish on a rod with a 6 oz bannana sinker for weight, plus you actually get to feel the fish. I was also using shuttle hawks from shasta tackle they are planers that attach to your downrigger line so you dont have to pull up your downrigger every time you catch a fish, I think they are about 10 dollars a piece and come with a adjustable line release.

J
jerr1939
Interesting. I am going to look into them shuttle hawks, sounds like cutting down on the cranking, Thanks for the info, wishing spring would hurry up, want to try all the info I am getting,,, Thanks again Jerr