State and 70th in Salem. A pond?

M
mrlindeman
Google map state st in salem and follow it past Corded to 70th. There is a pond that has access and it is fed by the little pudding from the willy up north. Has anyone fished this little pond? if so whats the species found and methods. Thanks :) ;)

B
bigsteel
its probably privately owned,most everything is on state st

M
mrlindeman
I need a good local pond to fish. I skunk everytime at walling and lately the crowds at wirth have been awfull. lol.

K
kayakkid
Stick it out if you want to catch fish Walter is the best option. Fish powerbait and close to shore, not more then 30 feet and about an 18inch leader.

troutdude
troutdude
Maybe you can ask peeps around there, for permission?

PM also sent.

M
mrlindeman
Yea it looks to have access but your prob right

B
bigsteel
aumsville ponds

M
mrlindeman
I love aumsville ponds!!! Thats one of my favorites :)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I've also seen that on the map and wondered about it. If you do find info,please let us know.

M
mrlindeman
Will Do :)

O
OregonNative
I live just over a mile from that pond near State St. & 70th. It belongs to the property owners of the little rural subdivsion next to it. We were home shopping about ten years ago and what I learned from the realtor was that rather than the homes having individual septic systems, they all fed into one system with a large drain field. Guess where the drain field drains too. :shock: I'm not saying the pond has raw sewage, but I don't think I would want to swim in it or eat any fish out of it. But not to poop on the potential, it could be decent C&R spot if you can get permission. Be sure to wash your hands. ;)

I found the Aumsville ponds on accident this last September when I followed some signs to a yard sale. The main pond is called Young Lake and is the most northerly one. It is public (owned by Marion County), has good parking, and even a restroom. Like a lot of small ponds, it is pretty weedy near the edges late in the year. Easy access close to the parking area, but just a handfull of places around other parts of the lake where it looked like bank fishermen (er, persons), beat the brush to get to. We took our canoe out and caught some small bluegill and perch. I saw a bass in weeds that was probably around 12 inches. I plan to hit it again this coming spring and maybe catch some bass. I hope there are some crappie in it, but don't know.

troutdude
troutdude
OregonNative said:
But not to poop on the potential, it could be decent C&R spot if you can get permission. Be sure to wash your hands. ;)

Not to hijack...but, I got a kick out of your play on words there! LOL

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Can you give directions to get to the Aumsville ponds from highway 22 in Salem? I just might have time to check it out before I leave. Thanks.

D
Drew9870
If your talking about Lakeshore Terraces (the lake with all the houses surrounding it), then I have also heard they dump their septic tanks into the water.

I have caught some Largemouths up to 6lbs out of Willa Lake (I think thats what its called on Google Maps), a couple chubby Brown Bullheads, and some chunky Bluegill.

This was when I was 12 and didn't really know it was illegal, I had the cops called on me and I got ran out with just a warning thankfully.

M
mrlindeman
Yea they are both private and aumsville ponds are closed for the winter