Its just all a big scam

P
plumb2fish
colbypearson said:
not always, there are a few of us that are just bass fisherman bass fisherman :lol:

who knows maybe that goes 2 ways.... haha

I didn't know anyone in Oregon purposely caught "Ditch Pickles"

B
beaverfan
colbypearson said:
just to put it into perspective how well (some, to make sure i dont offend anyone) of the workers at our oregon department of fish and wildlife offices are trained well enough, that when i caught my first oregon spotted bass and the first brought to oregon's official certification as a spotted bass...this was at the office in central point here i knew it was a spot bieng an avid bass angler 100%...... nope they swore it was a "perch-bass" half yellow perch half largemouth bass, what idiots, the fish was sent to OSU, for certification....lets just say i was right... ;) i guess they didn't go to college long enough that theyre theory is not even remotely feasible, a perch bass LMAO :lol:

Largemouth Bass and White Perch (no idea if we even have white perch at all in oregon) are both in the Sunfish family and hybridization between the Sunfish family is very common. So it's very feasible.

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
beaverfan said:
Largemouth Bass and White Perch (no idea if we even have white perch at all in oregon) are both in the Sunfish family and hybridization between the Sunfish family is very common. So it's very feasible.

yellow perch**

plumb2fish-"I didn't know anyone in Oregon purposely caught "Ditch Pickles"

hehehe good one super funny, how creative because the only thing i see swimming up the ditches around my house are salmon coming up to spawn ironic, im sick and tired of saying no offense when defending my case why dont you grow up...

brandon4455
brandon4455
colbypearson said:
yellow perch**

hehehe good one super funny, how creative because the only thing i see swimming up the ditches around my house are salmon coming up to spawn ironic, im sick and tired of saying no offense when defending my case why dont you grow up...

pwned sucka XD

B
beaverfan
colbypearson said:
yellow perch**

Dude you need to learn to take a joke! It's not your place to go out there and defend bass so just relax it's not your "case" to worry about anyways. Dude makes a joke and all of a sudden it's not funny because it's about bass?

C
colbypearson
beaverfan said:
Dude you need to learn to take a joke! It's not your place to go out there and defend bass so just relax it's not your "case" to worry about anyways. Dude makes a joke and all of a sudden it's not funny because it's about bass?

hey man its whatever, maybe you need to learn to take a joke for god sake this is the most cutthroat site i have ever been to in my life, just made a quick post in my defense not like i was gonna drag it on or anything so calm down if you plan on making this go on forever again pm the stupid replies to me instead of ruining the site more, so carry on with the thread..... and i made a joke about salmon and its not funy becuase its salmon huh your the over serious one here the thread was going to the same place as the others maybe people can keep theyre original posts to themselves instead of firing out "ditch pickles" that, huh!!! you think i care if he doesn't like bass big deal.. i made a creative reply back end of story, get on with the thread

brandon4455
brandon4455
*runs over to ifish* **** this place you guys argue like kids JK ROFL

brandon4455
brandon4455
i know some people intend these bass puns as jokes but it's being taken to far i'm sick of people getting messed with like this it's almost like bass rascism so for you "jokers" ya need to stop and use the forum as it is intented to be used instead of trolling a certain group of fisherman obviously if somebody gets offended it needs to stop not pause and keep going cheese and rice... grow up and show respect for everyone around you not just people that fish for the same stuff you do.

im not targeting a group of people nor am i targeting one person. ai am speaking to everyone in a decent manor and i'm not TELLING anyone to do this i'm ASKING so please just leave colby and other fisherman alone it dosent matter if itsd a joke or not it matters wether someone gets offended. and dont bother commenting on this post,its just pointless to fuel further arguments. thanks,

brandon

Last edited:
A
autofisher
Gentlemen..... I'm gonna put it this way..... we all have our favorite fish to target. Some are better at it than others...... Some get so frustrated at one that they have to make fun of it..... Part of the fun of the forum is cracking jokes..... talking smack....... SUPPORTING each other and helping others out. EVERYONE needs to calm down take a deep breath and see it for what it is. JMTC.

P
Phil_Bud
HMMM well I would reccommend going on a guided trip....its not that much for 1 or 2 people to go out...
You have to do some more studying I'd say...Leave the bass lures out of the equation...I've caught all of my Salmon and steelhead on a few things...not millions...
STEELHEAD: Lures like Panther martins and blue fox, differnt glo bugs, and jigs, also a weight 3 feet above a ball of roe, or below a bobber. NO beads no egg loop knot just a red hook with a ball of finely cured roe...then I bounce it!
SALMON: quickfish sardine or herring, also roe on a bobber or the same as I do it for steelhead, and lures panther martin blue fox...You need to find what is right which eventually will happen. Its tough to go through a salmon season skunked because they wont be back for a wile like they are in the fall.
Well in california I had just a fall chinook run...Hardly any springers, Coho are endangered, lucky there is a load of steelies still in the klamath.
It could be worse...Its not ODFW bud...trust me Salmon and steelhead arent robots and they're not stupid...they're strong powereful smart fish. You have to think like a fish to catch fish.

S
SantiamDrifter
Phil_Bud said:
HMMM well I would reccommend going on a guided trip....its not that much for 1 or 2 people to go out...
You have to do some more studying I'd say...Leave the bass lures out of the equation...I've caught all of my Salmon and steelhead on a few things...not millions...
STEELHEAD: Lures like Panther martins and blue fox, differnt glo bugs, and jigs, also a weight 3 feet above a ball of roe, or below a bobber. NO beads no egg loop knot just a red hook with a ball of finely cured roe...then I bounce it!
SALMON: quickfish sardine or herring, also roe on a bobber or the same as I do it for steelhead, and lures panther martin blue fox...You need to find what is right which eventually will happen. Its tough to go through a salmon season skunked because they wont be back for a wile like they are in the fall.
Well in california I had just a fall chinook run...Hardly any springers, Coho are endangered, lucky there is a load of steelies still in the klamath.
It could be worse...Its not ODFW bud...trust me Salmon and steelhead arent robots and they're not stupid...they're strong powereful smart fish. You have to think like a fish to catch fish.

I would agree there are much better lures out there then bass lures. But I've seen steelhead hooked on bass plugs. It can happen.

P
plumb2fish
Colby,
I was just making a funny, fish for what ever you enjoy catching, after all it's all about enjoying the outdoors. I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings, so for that I apologize. As far as the grow up remark..I'm going to let that one go as a freebee. When we are passionate about something we say things without thinking them through sometimes. Besides, I have to get older but they will never make me "GROW UP"....Now just get out there and rip some lipz...

Last edited:
M
michigan_transplant
I'm a beginner too and can feel your pain man. I got out here last September and started fishing around December. I have literally gone once every weekend and any day I have off. To show for my efforts I have caught 2 winter steelhead and one spring nook. I have hooked multiple others but didn't land them, including a monster of a fall nook last weekend that spit out the hook. Point is thats a lot of time on the water for 3 fish to hold in my hands. And from what I hear from some people thats doing OK. I figure I'll give it a full season and now that I'm heading into another winter steelhead season I'll improve from last year. Honestly I never did all that well on the South Santiam. I know people do really well but I've never done that well. I enjoy the Alsea a lot more. Seems to be less people and more public area to wander and fish by yourself.

My advice (if another beginner is able to give any :).
1. Find someone on here that knows the rivers you like to fish and start asking them where you should be each time you go. Its all about being where the fish are. I met a guy at work and he tells me where I should be each weekend and it pays off. Even if I'm not getting them, I see the fish moving and I know they are there.
2. Try and pick a couple techniques and get them down. Seems like the easiest are bobber and jig and spinners.
3. Get them on the bottom. If you aren't losing gear on the bottom you aren't fishing in the right spot.
4. And most important, have fun. This summer I was continually getting skunked going for steelhead so I found a trout lake towards the coast and went out there for a while. I had a lot of fun, caught fish and stocked up my freezer.

Have fun and don't give up, sounds like we live in the same area, if you ever want to fish together or know where they might be feel free to PM me.

kirkster
kirkster
plumb2fish said:
I didn't know anyone in Oregon purposely caught "Ditch Pickles"

I caught a bad case of those "Ditch Pickles" once. But no worries penicillan cleared it right up.

C
capblack
kirkster said:
I caught a bad case of those "Ditch Pickles" once. But no worries penicillan cleared it right up.

did you catch them purposely though, or on accident? and did you enjoy it:lol:

kirkster
kirkster
capblack said:
did you catch them purposely though, or on accident? and did you enjoy it:lol:

How I caught them is top secret. As far as enjoying it... It was fun until they started multiplying. LOL

G
GDBrown
I wish I had some good luck...... I'm usually a jinks when it comes to actually catching what I'm after if left to my own devices. Now when someone takes me (OTF) and I do as I'm told I usually catch fish. I have been getting better but in 25 years here in Oregon my average is about one salmon or steelhead every five years. I got one last year just before Christmas when I tried a jig for the first time! Of coarse I was steelhead fishing and caught a 27lb. Chinook! I won't complain though, I have had very few days on the water that were not enjoyable. I think I have just as much fun watching someone else catch a big one as when I do. Maybe if it happened to me more often that would change. So if your new to the state or this type of fishing make friends with someone who is successful and go watch them do it, leave the rod in the truck and just watch for a few hours. Ask questions, if they are willing, learn what you can and then go try for yourself. If you have a hard time making (or keeping) friends then the best money you will spend is on a guide who will help you learn. One or two trips with a guide is much cheaper than twenty trips out by yourself.
I spent a whole day next to Kirkster and watched him catch three steelhead while I never felt a bite. I should have just watched. I would have learned more.

JMTCW

GD

H
halibuthitman
kirkster said:
were those on a pencil bait... or dropshotting worm? he he he

P
plumb2fish
You guys are killing me...lmao

brandon4455
brandon4455
Last edited: