Klamath Lake fishing

O
ol tymer
Sold boat

Sold boat

:( Yeah, that's right. Was getting to be too much boat for me. Weighed 2800# and me and the wifey began to have a little trouble loading it at the launch ramp. Looking for probably an aluminum 18' or so. Talked to a guy in Medford yesterday. He showed me a pix of a nice 8# he caught a few days ago in Klamath lake. Said he must of cast it right in front of it, cause his lure just hit the water, and wham!! Said the water was coffee colored, so it had to practically hit the fish on the head. Showed me his lure, was a soft greenish speckled minnow about 2" long. Very nice looking fish. Looks like the weather may finally be changing, so lets hope the fishin' improves for everyone. C ya on the water eventually. Ol Tymer:pray:

N
Ntofishing
This last weekend we finally made it out to Klamath. The water was a little choppy but not too bad. Clarity was around 2 feet. We had 3 fish on but we found that the bite was a little soft. All 3 fish did the head shake and pulled the hook out. I was thinking maybe next time this happens I might try a slower approach.

C
Caveman
Hey All, long time no chat! Glad to see this thread still going. I have not been able to get out on the lake for awhile due to family crap, but I am about ready to get at it again.

Hey Ntofishing, I have found the slow approach on Klamath to be the absolute best...

N
Ntofishing
I was thinking of trying a 3" plastic jerk bait. What is your slow method. I also thought of using some sort of leach pattern.

C
Caveman
A lot of guys do well with the leaches. I preffer to slow troll a silver No. 7 or J7 Rapala with a single small splitshot about 18" ahead of the plug. By slow troll I mean just barely fast enough to get to get a swimming motion from the the Rapala. An electric trolling motor is a must in my humble opinion.

N
Ntofishing
Yea the electric trolling motor is a must have. Not only does it go a LOT slower but it saves a bunch on gas too taking into consideration on how big that lake is.

F
fishfry
Quick question and sorry if it was already covered. Im wanting to hit up klamath lake soon and was wandering how good it is this time of year. Also where would be the best places to post up on the bank with minnows and what's is the best setup for it? Ty

O
ol tymer
If you don't want to drive too far, you could try bank fishing at Henzel Park on Agency lake. I'm seen some pretty good fish caught there. The usual bait is crawlers or minnows. Some guys use what is called a "crappie rig" with a 2 hook setup. In the winter, most K. lake fish congregate on the south end at Pelican/Moore park.

N
Ntofishing
Yea I have caught fish this time of the year on klamath. Usually we fish from the Eagle Ridge side but I am sure you can catch them anywhere there is bank access.

C
Caveman
Well I thought maybe it was time to revive this thread. It was about this time last year when the fishing on Klamath Lake started picking up and I hope we get a repeat this year. Anybody been out there trolling yet?

K
kfallscody
I saw some guys trolling around Moore park & pelican marina yesterday but didn't hang around long enough to see if they had any luck. I haven't been out this year but this warm weather has m wanting to un-winterize my boat and hit the lake.. but alas, the weather is about to turn back to normal. :( I am hoping to get out there sometime this month though.

C
Caveman
Hey Cody, been awhile since last chatting with ya. Did you get that new boat broke in yet? I upgraded last July to a new Crestliner cus I got tired of getting blown off the lake in my little Valco.

crestliner.jpg

I was thinking about hitting the Eagle Ridge area tomorrow but if it is as windy as it was today I will probobly just stay home.

C
Caveman
Looks like a jar of powerbait in that cup holder... best not let some of the puratains on this board see that pic, lol. ;-)

K
kfallscody
LOL it is exactly that. I had tried everything for hours to get a bite with no luck so I had to resort to that... and still had no luck! :(

N
Ntofishing
Both of those boats are beautiful. I have had the itching to go over there soon also, just haven't had the time. I am thinking around march - april will be the time that the lake will get really good.

I got lucky and hooked a big one this last fall, too bad they like to throw the hook. Oh well Ill have to catch him another day. LOL!!

C
Caveman
March and April are prime, I just like to start a bit early when the weather allows. February was good to me last year and I caught my biggest Klamath Lake trout ever. Should have been out there today but I woke up with a bit of the flu. Looks like today was the last chance for awhile too as the weather is about to turn back to typical winter conditions.

J
jasnwip
Hello All

Hello All

Caveman said:
March and April are prime, I just like to start a bit early when the weather allows. February was good to me last year and I caught my biggest Klamath Lake trout ever. Should have been out there today but I woke up with a bit of the flu. Looks like today was the last chance for awhile too as the weather is about to turn back to typical winter conditions.

Hello Forum,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the Klamath area and have spent the last seven months trying to figure out the area. I'm very excited to be here as my two passions are hunting and fishing and I don't know if I could have ended up in a better area.
I am going to start fishing the Klamath next week if possible and wondered if I could get some info on where to fish from the bank. I sold my sled last year and so I only have my drift boat right now. Any info anyone wants to share would be appreciated!
I'm also game if anyone ever needs a fellow passionate fisherman to fill a spot in a boat.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Jason

Reactions: Ntofishing
N
Ntofishing
Welcome to OFF Jason. As for spots to bank fish we always fished on the Eagle Ridge side but there are lots of places to catch them from the bank. Most people use worms or minnows with pretty good sucess.

C
Caveman
Welcome to Klamath and the fishing forum Jason. Drive along 140 and down eagle ridge and you will see many people bank fishing. I am still holding out for some decent weather so I can troll a bit. You will find patience is a must on this lake as the fishing is rarely fast but persistance often pays off with BIG trout.

C
Caveman
Well I blew my motor down in Clear Lake California back in March and my boat has been in the shop for repairs ever since. I finally get her back tomorrow and can't wait to get out on Klamath Lake. Anybody been catching any fish out there?