Steelhead spinners

brandon4455
brandon4455
picking up some rooster tails for steelhead soon. what are your guy's favorite color rooster tails for steelies? i was thinking about bright pink but i thought that was more for coho. im already getting a black one i know they work ill be getting 3 tails. i already determined i need a very heavy size because my stupid rod dosent throw spinners good xD thanks for any input. take care,

brandon

G
GMR
Black, Brass, Silver..
I stick to Jed Davis designs ..

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
GMR said:
Black, Brass, Silver..
I stick to Jed Davis designs ..
come christmas im getting some spinner making stuff with meh waders which will be jed davis designs i heard they are very effective. thankd for the reply,

brandon

troutdude
troutdude
I've been using Jed's designs for over 20 years. And hundreds of fish, know just how well they work!!!

But, you must also understand how to pick the right one, to match the conditions. You'll have to read the book for that.

H
halibuthitman
Roostertails are good... but the bangtail with the yellow body and black spots with a copper blade is simply the balls! I also love the mepps algia glo series in a no.4 with the half black half white body and the white blade with a pink tip... also the Balls.. or simply a red roostertail... caught me a lot of fish..

P
Phil_Bud
Yeah if any what GMR said...really though nothing beats
panther martin: black/gold/yellow dots.... and yellow/gold/red dots
blue fox: all silver...blue and silver...silver and red (NEW)...and the rainbow holigraphic one. (NOT THE ONE THATS ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE A BABY RAINBOW...I THINK THAT WAS OUTLAWED)
good luck hope this helped.

F
FishSchooler
The favorite color of all is the one that the fish are biting on ^^

bring some sponge or some rough fiberish stuff that you can scratch a blade with. Simply making the surface not too shiny caught me my first salmonid on the next cast on the same hole. Take the sponge and drag it up and down the blade so the surface is taken off.. .yeah

Dont forget tape and/or sharpies

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for the replies everyone i really appriciate it. i hooked my very first steelhead on a spinner but lost it. time to get back into spinner fishin for em. ill be ultralight fishing with my "dink stick" shakespeare 5'6 its the cheapest rod you can buy anywhere xD.

O
OutdoorsTeen
What steelhead spinners do the OFF members use? I am like the panther martins.

J
Johnny Southpaw
never had much luck with panther martins for steelhead-they tend to be pretty light IMO and it's hard to get them down in the "zone." As far as store-bought spinners go, blue foxes are my choice. Hard to beat homemade spinners-nothing like catching a chrome beauty on something of your own creation.

D
DirectDrive
Johnny Southpaw said:
never had much luck with panther martins for steelhead-they tend to be pretty light IMO and it's hard to get them down in the "zone."
No way.
The 1/2 oz size is one of the fastest sinking store-bought spinners out there. In fact you have to watch where you cast it so you don't snag up.
It uses what's called an in-line blade and is a good design to learn on because it does require too much finesse to operate.

As far as store-bought spinners go, blue foxes are my choice. Hard to beat homemade spinners-nothing like catching a chrome beauty on something of your own creation.
Jed Davis describes BF as under-weighted and I agree.
Yep, rolling your own is best.

H
halibuthitman
Yeah that red bodied gold bladed Panther Martin is a sledge hammer for the steel from what ive seen.... If I had to put one spinner into my sons hand trying to get him a fish, it would have to be the Mepps glo series in a size 4 with the black/white body and pink/white blade.... but they lift quickly, its the only spinner I almost always fish cast across and upstream retreaved down hill with the slowest retrieve it can take.... DEADLY

D
Damon79
They aren't spinners, but Thomas Lures work wonders for Summer fish. Probly work just as well for Winter fish in the right water conditions.

troutdude
troutdude
DirectDrive said:
Yep, rolling your own is best.

X 2...and Jed Davis designs and techniques are KILLER!

M
Metoman
I like the Mepps in a #4

S
Steelheader4Life
For deeper holes and a little higher water I prefer a Blue Fox. But I don't think anything can beat the BUD'S. They are less then $2 a piece and are deadly steelhead slayers in lower water. I use sizes 3, 4 & 5 all depening on the conditions.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Buds are Big Elk killers

Y
youngbuck307
I fish spinners that I twist myself...... Nothing really beats a home made spinner best thing is make any color combo u want!

O
OutdoorsTeen
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have used the red bodied gold blade one for trout and used it so much i lost the 3 i had using it for them. caught oms monsters.

P
ProfessorChromology
Steelheader4Life said:
For deeper holes and a little higher water I prefer a Blue Fox. But I don't think anything can beat the BUD'S. They are less then $2 a piece and are deadly steelhead slayers in lower water. I use sizes 3, 4 & 5 all depening on the conditions.

AMEN - Steelhead by Bud! Amazing lures at a great price. "Silver and gold, silver and gold...."