Fly casting lessons

T
The Nothing
So, i watched everything on youtube, and read everything google could find me, and decided to try to throw a fly around.

Not so simple (as most of you already knew)

I was smart enough to bring my video camera with me and got an hours worth of poor casting in 60fps HD detail. Review clearly shows my start/stop points are way off, my speed might be a bit slow, and, every once in awhile, i snap my wrist (usually after things are already looking bad)

I can keep going back and forth between the Westmoreland Casting Pool and my computer, but I'd really rather spend a couple hours with instructions.

I've found a couple places that offer up classes and lessons but was hoping I might get a few more suggestions that google wouldn't offer up! I require someone that can give lessons on a weekday, weekends are NOT an option.

W
wozniasm
I took one with my son from the West Linn Recreation department when it was offered. Many cities put out a catalog much like a community college class schedule that offers many various classes like fly casting, yoga, artsie stuff, etc. We had a gentlemen that has a guide service on the Clackamas (can't recall his name) as an instructor. It was held on weeknights at one of the West Linn schools and the last class was on a Saturday morning on the Clack. The cost was $35 or less for about 5 or 6 classes on a Wednesday night. Call your city recreation department and see what they offer. The cost was less for residents of the city - more if you were from another city.
I also took a one-day spey casting course (on a weekend only - $75) that was sponsored by one of the local fly shops.

T
The Nothing
thanks for the reply. I saw a few options not unlike what you posted. Actually, Mt Hood CC probably has the crazies option if you have the time and the funds - they offer fly fishing as a PE credit! Couple months worth of lessons and fishing...

O
OnTheFly
The Nothing said:
So, i watched everything on youtube, and read everything google could find me, and decided to try to throw a fly around.

Not so simple (as most of you already knew)

I was smart enough to bring my video camera with me and got an hours worth of poor casting in 60fps HD detail. Review clearly shows my start/stop points are way off, my speed might be a bit slow, and, every once in awhile, i snap my wrist (usually after things are already looking bad)

I can keep going back and forth between the Westmoreland Casting Pool and my computer, but I'd really rather spend a couple hours with instructions.

I've found a couple places that offer up classes and lessons but was hoping I might get a few more suggestions that google wouldn't offer up! I require someone that can give lessons on a weekday, weekends are NOT an option.

After reading your post I realized I misunderstood you. Back on your birthday thread you told me you had your fly rod in your truck and something about lessons. At the time, I thought you already fly fished and were offering Me lessons on Yak fishing.LOL. Maybe someday for me in a kayak but until then I'd more than happy to give you some fly casting instructions.:cool:

Last edited:
V
Van
The Nothing said:
I require someone that can give lessons on a weekday, weekends are NOT an option.

I took some lessons this past summer from an instructor out of Kaufmann's Streamborn Fly shop that was on a weekday eve. It was at the Westmoreland casting pond as well. Give them a shot.