Eagle Creek Steelhead

F
fishfinder
I was wondering if its worth going to eagle creek for some early steelhead or coho this week. have anyone bin out there recently?

Thanks

B
beaverfan
According to ODFW only 16 Steelhead were tagged out of Eagle Creek in the entire month of November last year with 206 in December. I would hold out till Thanksgiving and then give it a go!

H
halibuthitman
on the other side of the coin... anyone can catch a steelhead in a river with 200 fish in it, but 16? now thats a challnge of the highest order! go! and be the first to post a chrome brite clipper! for the winter.

F
fishfinder
im going Friday morning.
should I go to the hatchery or closer to the clack?

Reactions: n8r1
H
halibuthitman
thats a question best answered by metalfisher76... but he appears to be absent, read he has gone back to bendin nails instead of rods lately... p.m him... but I would assume low if your trying for a needle in a haystack steel.

T
tnffishman
Was out LAST THURSDAY and saw a steelie sittin right below the hatchery already. definitely a winter. Saw one last year around that time too up there. There are a FEW in there but I have a hard enough time catching them in the peak of the run

B
beaverfan
tnffishman said:
Was out LAST THURSDAY and saw a steelie sittin right below the hatchery already. definitely a winter. Saw one last year around that time too up there. There are a FEW in there but I have a hard enough time catching them in the peak of the run

I think you'll do just fine up there this year! I can't wait for winter steelhead season, I'm so anxious I can hardly take it!!!

H
halibuthitman
are you kidding me jay.... I just sorted my gear... re-spooled my lines and have tied about a hundred flies... I can't take it.. Im starting my hunt tomorrow, I declare winter steelhead on.

B
beaverfan
I tied up at least 100 bait loops yesterday, painted about 40 spinners and today I tied up a bunch of Sturgeon rigs. I'm literally shaking just thinking about it!

Well if your headed to the Wilson you'll be in a good spot. I saw quite a few right before this last rain and they looked bright as hell! I'm sure you know where to look, I'm trying to get out there too.

S
SemperFly
I am almost positive that I got into one last weekend. I spent about 6 hours tromping around the creek when I came upon a single chrome fish parked in some fast water. It took my fly on the first cast! I didn't get a good hook set, though, and it got away. When I checked the hook it was dull. :rolleyes:

Considering that the coho down there look terrible, I don't think this was a salmon.

M
metalfisher76
He declares winter steel on!!!! Get er done!!! Yeah, you can find some fish in there now. And it sure could be a wild ho, they tend to come a lil late and be bright! But I know Tn is right too! I would certainly start below the low ladder, definitely below the park. The hatch`ll pick up in a month or so. Hope there`s some 4 wheelers ready this year. It`s gonna be nasty drivin up there, a lot more than it was last season anyhooo.

By the way! Nails are STILL not as fun to bend as glass!!

F
fishfinder
I went today, didn't catch any fish but saw one winter steelhead.
Saw only one more fisherman.

H
halibuthitman
fishfinder said:
I went today, didn't catch any fish but saw one winter steelhead.
Saw only one more fisherman.
soooo.... why didn't you catch em... and show us a picture? now go back up there tommorow before flymstr finds it and get me a picture... I like pictures..

H
halibuthitman
im just kidding around.. but it would be cool if you went and caught it... could be the first picture of the winter of an eagle steelhead!

F
fishfinder
I threw a pink jig and black yarn at it.
it just swam away.