Powerbait ???

O
OregonNative
This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm sure I'm not the only one asking. I make a quick stop at the store to pickup Powerbait. The clerk say's, "It's over there in the corner." So I go over and find three shelves of it, duh :confused: There are Powerbait eggs, Powerbait kibbles, Powerbait goop (for lack of anything else to call it), every color you can imagine. :think: So what kind of Powerbait are the fish hungry for? :think: What color will they want today? :think: Ten minutes later I humble my male ego and ask the clerk what works the best, and you can guess the answer - this one, that one, and everyone in between. So there I am another 5 minutes and still confused. :confused: I don't know what to get. :( Finally a half hour later (for what was supposed to be 3 minute stop) I give up. :mad: So I walk down the isle to the fridge and get a dozen worms. :rolleyes:

I'm sure some you OFFers have been there done that.

So here comes the dumb question. When it comes to Powerbait, what are the favorities?

T
Thuggin4Life
Wont find the stuff in my box but for those who use it having a variety helps.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i usually get the two best COMMON colors no matter where i am fishing (chartruese and orange cough cough*) thats for color, ive heard power eggs work really good. and regular dough bait as well. i never really try the other stuff i stick with what works for me.

T
Throbbit _Shane
My favorite color is rainbow for powerbait. but iv converted to power eggs no mess and they stay on longer and work just as well. green and white both worked for me.

W
waco
everybody have their favorites i think you should experiment differents colors and pick wichever you like best!!! anyways i really like Rainbow glitter. My lucky one!!!

D
Drew9870
My favorite is the Pink Lemonade Turbo Dough, but all of the bright colors work almost equally,
some proven fish catchers are the following, Chartruese, Orange, Rainbow, Corn Yellow, Sherbert (pink/orange), Pink Lemonade (pink/yellow), Pink, White seems pretty hit and miss, Salmon Egg Peach, Fl. Red, Garlic flavor, and I gave up on the glittery stuff since I always look like I came out of a strip club because I have glitter all over my face and pants, but it really seems to catch their attention on sunny days.

The colors I avoid are Blue, Purple, or anything dark pretty much.

I like the smell of Powerbait..... I just thought I'd let everyone know :lol:.

T
the_intimidator03
When i use powerbait... rainbow is my go to. I am fine using the powerbait paste.. but the power eggs i dont have a whole lot of experience with yet. just need to get some different lighter weight hooks for them.

S
steelhead_slayer
rainbow when i was a kid. now i like chartruese with sparkle. extra scent

H
halibuthitman
Drew9870 said:
My favorite is the Pink Lemonade Turbo Dough, but all of the bright colors work almost equally,
some proven fish catchers are the following, Chartruese, Orange, Rainbow, Corn Yellow, Sherbert (pink/orange), Pink Lemonade (pink/yellow), Pink, White seems pretty hit and miss, Salmon Egg Peach, Fl. Red, Garlic flavor, and I gave up on the glittery stuff since I always look like I came out of a strip club because I have glitter all over my face and pants, but it really seems to catch their attention on sunny days.

I kinda like the smell of it too.. but not as much as a nice warm jar of pautzkis salmon eggs!

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
I kinda like the smell of it too.. but not as much as a nice warm jar of pautzkis salmon eggs!

i like pautzkies too brad.. i always ask people to smell them because they smell yummy bet they always say yuck :/

E
eggs
Drew9870 said:

WOW........ What fish is powerbait best used for?? The stuff sounds like expensive colored bread balls....

troutdude
troutdude
It appears as though you didn't take the time to read my thread, and the posts that were made. It is made for trout (other species too, but I have not tried that).

The moral of my March thread (Power Eggs...the greatest thing since Apple Pie) is this:

Power Bait sucks. Power Eggs RULE!

1. Power Eggs do NOT get nibbled OFF your hook

2. Power Eggs work at least as well as power bait

3. Power Eggs even stay on, fish after fish after fish...so, in the long haul it costs a LOT less than what you'd spend on Power Bait.

D
Drew9870
eggs said:
WOW........ What fish is powerbait best used for?? The stuff sounds like expensive colored bread balls....

Bread also works for native Trout in small creeks, I have a creek about a mile and a half away from my house, and I have pulled in some 18 inch Rainbows and Cutthroats on nickel diameter bread balls along with 24 inch Squawfish and 5lb Suckers, wouldn't that make Trout dumber in your eyes, considering they eat bread.

I have caught a few Pellet Heads on bread as well. I know I have stated ''those dinky little trout I used to catch when I was 10'', but I get bored sometimes when the Carp/Salmon aren't biting, atleast I don't obsess over them like they are the hardest fighting/biggest fish, I actually move on to other fish because I like something new most of the time.

E
eggs
Drew9870 said:
Bread also works for native Trout in small creeks, I have a creek about a mile and a half away from my house, and I have pulled in some 18 inch Rainbows and Cutthroats on nickel diameter bread balls along with 24 inch Squawfish and 5lb Suckers, wouldn't that make Trout dumber in your eyes, considering they eat bread.

I have caught a few Pellet Heads on bread as well. I know I have stated ''those dinky little trout I used to catch when I was 10'', but I get bored sometimes when the Carp/Salmon aren't biting, atleast I don't obsess over them like they are the hardest fighting/biggest fish, I actually move on to other fish because I like something new most of the time.

I was just honestly asking as I have used it only 1 or 2 times for trout a long long time ago and didn't have much luck with it, about that same amount of luck I had with bread balls or marshmellows as a kid compared to paulztis eggs. Everyone was saying its dough like and to me, with my very little experience, it seemed like overpriced colored bread balls.. I don't know why you are on a rant about carp or dumb trout.. I really don't know if it is the most effective for trout, bass, carp, catfish, or kokanee. Sounds like it works for everything..

C
cookshot
troutdude said:
It appears as though you didn't take the time to read my thread, and the posts that were made. It is made for trout (other species too, but I have not tried that).

The moral of my March thread (Power Eggs...the greatest thing since Apple Pie) is this:

Power Bait sucks. Power Eggs RULE!

1. Power Eggs do NOT get nibbled OFF your hook

2. Power Eggs work at least as well as power bait

3. Power Eggs even stay on, fish after fish after fish...so, in the long haul it costs a LOT less than what you'd spend on Power Bait.

Ditto here. I don't like using power bait and eggs much, just because it is a boring way to fish, but there are a couple times a year I hit up places like lost lake for stockers and power eggs are where its at. Put a bullet weight over a swivel and a foot or two of line then a couple power eggs to get it up off the bottom. I'm not even sure if there are other colors, but the green works best for me.

T
troutmasta
OregonNative said:
This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm sure I'm not the only one asking. I make a quick stop at the store to pickup Powerbait. The clerk say's, "It's over there in the corner." So I go over and find three shelves of it, duh :confused: There are Powerbait eggs, Powerbait kibbles, Powerbait goop (for lack of anything else to call it), every color you can imagine. :think: So what kind of Powerbait are the fish hungry for? :think: What color will they want today? :think: Ten minutes later I humble my male ego and ask the clerk what works the best, and you can guess the answer - this one, that one, and everyone in between. So there I am another 5 minutes and still confused. :confused: I don't know what to get. :( Finally a half hour later (for what was supposed to be 3 minute stop) I give up. :mad: So I walk down the isle to the fridge and get a dozen worms. :rolleyes:

I'm sure some you OFFers have been there done that.

So here comes the dumb question. When it comes to Powerbait, what are the favorities?

First OFF.... I LOVE POWER BAIT! I prefer the chartruese "power eggs". 99% of the time you can catch any stockers with chartruese eggs. On a real tuff day. I like to make a "power grub"... I roll some power dough on the shank or the hook then slide a power egg around the bend of the hook.. It looks kinda like an upside down tear drop....That kill em. Stay away from the krill power bait and and the blue and stuff like that.. Stick with chartruese 90 % of the time Orange W/glitter 8% Pink 2% ......ish of course...TM

troutdude
troutdude
I have caught many trout on almost all colors. Here's my list in order from the most caught fish to the least (best at the top):

One Green & One Orange (resembling "Rainbow" Power Bait somewhat)
Green (or Lemon Lime)
Chartreuse
Orange Only
Green Only
Bubble Gum (Pink & White)
White
Red

And, I always carry all of the above color when trout hunting.