Rod for little girl needed...

troutdude
troutdude
Well, it's time for Uncle Trout Dude to do his civic duty. My grand niece turns five pretty soon; and it's time for her first fishing pole. So, my question is...where do I go to buy a small first-time rod for a 5 year old girl? Any advice you may have, is greatly appreciated. After all; I am a man...and shopping, therefore, is not my forte! :lol:

S
salmon_slayer87
Honestly...go to Walmart and buy an 11 dollar fishin rod. They have boy and girl themes on them. And they work pretty good too. If you look in my pictures...you'll see my sons "cars" fishing pole.
Good luck,
Dale

K
Keith
Crap, if Loomis doesn't keep my old rod - she can have my broken G-Loomis.

The last two guides are gone and I shaved the rod down so that the line will not catch going out the end. It looks like a brand new rod... just shorter than it was originally.

Not sure if they will let me leave with it or not.....

H
hunt-fish-trap
my daughter has one of those tiny spinning rods from bi-mart. they are 2 feet ish long. she is 2 and already can cast.,somewhat. I tried the thumb release one and she could not get the hang of it

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks team. I haven't seen kiddie rods at Bi-Mart before, so didn't know they carry them. Of course, I wasn't looking at the kiddie rods anyway! ;-) So, I'll check it out.

Wally World is a good idea too. There's a new one in Albany that I can visit.

IDK, if I want to get her a thumb release reel. I can hardly use those myself. LOL

Now a true spinning reel...that may be what I'll do. Maybe get a 4 or 5 foot UL spin rod/reel set. I'll let you know what I wind up with <pun intended>.

T
tomriker
i was pretty impressed with the fishing section of the albany wally world

my wife is due with our first next month, and as soon as she can walk, i plan on putting a bait caster in her hand, none of this screwing around with spinning reels :)

W
wozniasm
Got my sone one of these at age 5 and he loved it. Works pretty well too but there's always the Barbi Rod!

troutdude
troutdude
tomriker said:

Glad to hear that. I have NOT been impressed at all; with other Wally World fishing selections.

L
lilsalmon
tomriker said:

:)

It actually sucks. Never did find the fly fishing section.......I should work in that department and improve it some.