Steelhead quiz for fun

troutdude
troutdude
Okay, let's see who gets this right.

According to the data that I have; there are only 3 rivers in Oregon that have steelhead runs throughout the year (winters and summers). While there are rivers that "have fish" in them all year long...the question is this:

Which three rivers not only have steelhead in them all year; but actually have runs that occur all year long? This includes, again, BOTH winters and summers.

Ready? GO!

Reactions: chrisohm
H
halibuthitman
native or hatchery?

S
salmon_slayer87
wild guess....nestucca, willamette, rogue? im sure im way off...but i thought id try.

S
Santiam338
Siletz/Santiam/Umpqua

Fingers crossed..

H
halibuthitman
columbia, umqua, nestucca

S
Santiam338
Nestucca/Trask/Clackamas

P
plumb2fish
Umpqua,Rogue,and Columbia

P
plumb2fish
Umpqua,Rogue, Columbia And Siletz....The 4 Rivers in Oregon with Natural origin runs of winter and summer Steelhead

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:
native or hatchery?

My graph ain't specific; but I'd have to say BOTH nates and clippers...or is it "clippee's"? LOL

troutdude
troutdude
Santiam338 said:
Nestucca/Trask/Clackamas

And, the winner is Santiam 338! :clap:

You know your stuff...got any open seats??? :pray:

P
plumb2fish
Your data probably lists Rogue, Siletz and Umpqua as the "Oregon" rivers...but the Columbia also has both and runs through Oregon, but does not originate here.

troutdude
troutdude
Nope. The list DOES include the Columbia. But, it does NOT have continuous runs all year long. The run(s) only last from June - Sept. (Lower Columbia, to be clear. Upper not listed).

troutdude
troutdude
plumb2fish said:
Umpqua,Rogue, Columbia And Siletz....The 4 Rivers in Oregon with Natural origin runs of winter and summer Steelhead

I was surprised that the Siletz, does NOT have runs all year. Although, I have known for a long time that Steel can be found (and caught) all year long. The same is true for a few other streams as well.

P
plumb2fish
Thats funny that it lists June-September on the Lower Columbia, Summers start coming in February on the rivers above Willamette Falls, and if I'm not mistaken, the Willamette is a Lower Columbia tributary....

P
plumb2fish
I believe that if you look at counts at Willamette Falls, you will see steelhead every month of the year after the introduction of summers (test 1969, annual planting 1971)

troutdude
troutdude
plumb2fish said:
I believe that if you look at counts at Willamette Falls, you will see steelhead every month of the year after the introduction of summers (test 1969, annual planting 1971)

Not according to the chart that I have from ODFW. Only 8 months listed for actual runs. Don't buck the system man. :lol:

P
plumb2fish
troutdude said:
Not according to the chart that I have from ODFW. Only 8 months listed for actual runs. Don't buck the system man. :lol:
That chart from odfw also shows no winters in the santiam......

E
eat, sleep, fish
Your chart is definitely a little off if it didn't include the Umpqua, Rogue and Columbia with the other 3 mentioned.

H
halibuthitman
the columbia is one continuos river to the canadian border, big creek, necanicum, and the lewis and clark also have measurable native summer runs... so I guess the old sayin " theres lies, dam lies, and statistics" is true.... probably a list made by a vegan biology major from Montana state university after a spring break bender.... silly biologist

M
mccarrel
Sandy, Clack, Wilson.