Tiger trout recently stocked

troutdude
troutdude
Here is the ODFW press release:

October 18, 2011

CENTRAL POINT, Ore. – ODFW will stock tiger trout fingerlings in Fish Lake for the first time on Wednesday, Oct. 19. Media is invited to the U.S. Forest Service boat ramp at 10 a.m. when the fish will be stocked.

“Tiger trout are a unique fish being used in a unique situation here at Fish Lake,” said David Haight, Assistant District fish biologist. “They tend to be more aggressive and are easier to catch than other predatory trout like brown trout. They should also feed on the minnows – tui chub and fathead minnows – that are in Fish Lake and be catchable by next summer. Angling will be catch and release.”

Haight explained the minnows were illegally introduced into Fish Lake and have taken over the lake’s ecology and harmed the trout fishery. Fish Lake has been treated with rotenone several times over the years, but too many springs prevented an effective treatment. ODFW has also been stocking spring chinook to provide a better fishery for anglers.

“We’re going to keep stocking spring chinook and will stock the tiger trout for several years. This combination has the potential to be a nice one-two punch of growing large fish on the exotic minnows that anglers will love to catch,” Haight said.
ODFW is stocking about 1,500 tiger trout fingerlings this year. These fish are a sterile hybrid of brook trout and brown trout. Both brook trout and brown trout are currently present in parts of the Rogue watershed.

S
sportsmanlio
I read about this awhile ago. People have been catching the chinooks in limited quantities. An employee at Big R said he talked to a guy who caught one in the 16" range. I can't wait until they get to be full-grown...

Last time I tried fishing at Fish Lake was two years ago. I took the neighbor kid and my little brothers. The neighbor kid left his pole on the bank to try and catch newts, and then someone came up and stole it while we weren't watching.

All we caught that day was chubs. There was a school about 3 feet wide and at least 50 yards long that just swam along the shoreline about 5 feet out. We had fun catching them, but there weren't many trout to be had that day. All this to say, this fishery needs to be revived, and I think this radical (an unique) strategy might just do it.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Here's an article from the Mailtribune about them as well: Tough Trout

troutdude
troutdude
I just sent the following into the Mail Tribune; as a "Letter to the Editor".

In regards to Mark Freeman's "Tough Trout" article in today's edition (10/22/11)...

Overall, it is a decent article; but I sure wish that the writer would NOT have said this:

"Tiger trout grow quickly, and some of them should be around 15 inches next summer if they mirror growth rates seen at lakes outside Oregon. In Washington, tigers have roared up to 11 pounds. The hope here is that anglers will be hungry to bag one of these 10-plus pounders, and Fish Lake will be the only local place to do it."

Father down in the article, the writer did clarify that "the tigers will be available to anglers only on a catch-and-release basis — at least until their populations blossom."

But "...anglers will be hungry to bag one of these 10-plus pounders..." is a pretty poor choice of words, for a fish that cannot legally be kept.

So fishermen & women beware: those Tiger Trout MUST be released unharmed, and returned to the lake. Not only is it the legal thing to do, it is also the ethical/moral thing to do!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
The Mail Tribune article...

The Mail Tribune article...

BTW, the article says that those newly released Tiger Trout are only 4 inches in length. However, the picture that accompanied that article clearly shows MUCH larger fish being dumped in!

E
eat, sleep, fish
troutdude said:
BTW, the article says that those newly released Tiger Trout are only 4 inches in length. However, the picture that accompanied that article clearly shows MUCH larger fish being dumped in!

I was thinking the same thing. At first I saw the photo and thought I might need to make a trip up there...until the article said it would be a couple of years.

C
castafarian
That is interesting that the article says,"the tigers will be available to anglers only on a catch-and-release basis — at least until their populations blossom."

I was under the impression that the tiger trout is a sterile, intergeneric hybrid of the brown trout (Salmo trutta) and the brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis).

The only way their populations will "blossom" is if more are introduced to the lake.

Use descretion when reading fishing reports from "privately" owned fishing resorts. Good fishing reports = better business.

S
supertodd
The 2012 regs are out and it confirms you are not allowed to keep tiger trout.

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah they are for the sport of fishing not a dinner table fish.. cool looking too.