Question about deer antlers

T
TTFishon
For the last week there have been 3 deer( 1 doe & 2 bucks) hanging out in my neighbors yard feasting on apples. About 5 minutes ago I went out in my backyard to call the cat in for the night and noticed the silhouette of one of the bucks. So I grabbed my binoculars to get a better look. One's a 2 pt and the other's a 3. My question is: why is the spread of this particular 3 pt so wide? A couple of days ago at o'dark thirty I could've swore it was a 4 pt by the size of the rack. Other 3 pt's I've seen the rack wasn't as wide.

kirkster
kirkster
From what under stand if the deer are close to the same age and ones antlers are bigger than the other. Genetics is a big factor as well as food that one might be eating. Also in some cases a 5-7 year old bucks will what they call reverte which means this year he could be a nice 5 point and after sheding it groes a fork or a three the next year.

T
TTFishon
I hope they live another year and come back for more apples so I can see the difference a year makes.

S
strawberry shortcake
If I let bucks like that live for another year, when they were right in my back yard, my grandpa would come back from the grave and threaten me with a razor strap. He completely believed in the meat quality of spikes and antlers up to a 4 point. Anything bigger, and 4 points were on the edge of that belief, was too hard to carry out and the meat was too tough and gamey. He loved him some young tender meat. Besides, he said he needed his 6 ft 1 inch bulky frame for elk season.

T
TTFishon
strawberry shortcake said:
If I let bucks like that live for another year, when they were right in my back yard, my grandpa would come back from the grave and threaten me with a razor strap. He completely believed in the meat quality of spikes and antlers up to a 4 point. Anything bigger, and 4 points were on the edge of that belief, was too hard to carry out and the meat was too tough and gamey. He loved him some young tender meat. Besides, he said he needed his 6 ft 1 inch bulky frame for elk season.

I think that's a pretty good rule to live by. I'm not much of a hunter. I've only hunted a few times and shot my first deer two years ago. And although it was an awesome experience that I will never forget I will probably never shoot another deer. I'll still go hunting with my friends though. And on another note it would be illegal as heck to shoot a gun or a bow around here.

S
strawberry shortcake
My back yard is part of my land owner preference tag area, so shooting one in my backyard in season, with a hunting license, and with a tag would be legal. However, I have only one more year left managing this place and then it gets divided up among all the heirs. I imagine we will sell it (I don't have enough money to buy the other shares) and then I am back to being a renter.

T
TTFishon
strawberry shortcake said:
My back yard is part of my land owner preference tag area, so shooting one in my backyard in season, with a hunting license, and with a tag would be legal. However, I have only one more year left managing this place and then it gets divided up among all the heirs. I imagine we will sell it (I don't have enough money to buy the other shares) and then I am back to being a renter.

I hope you fill your tag this year. I'd only have to drive a few miles for it to be legal here or safe from houses, but that would be awesome if I lived where a person could shoot a deer legally on my property.

T
TTFishon
After I posted this the other night I went back out with the camera but couldn't see them. I snapped some pics anyway. I still need to check them. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow morning when I get the paper. Hopefully they are still coming around. My neighbor has been letting his lab harass them.

C
cookshot
Some deer just take longer to grow another point. I shot a 2x2 this year that was wide enough to be a 4x4 (i thought it would be when I first saw it through the binos). Genetics mean some just grow bigger without growing new points at the same rate.

J
JeannaJigs
Man I don't know much about the antlers, but this thread's made me hungry for some Bambi steaks.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
Man I don't know much about the antlers, but this thread's made me hungry for some Bambi steaks.

Or back strap mmm.