A discussion of native VS non-native trout species

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
A continuation of the thread:

Take it away folks!

O
OnTheFly
This went over my head. What's the point?

M
Moe
OnTheFly said:
This went over my head. What's the point?

To not hijack the other thread on tiger trout:D

E
everett464
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
everett464 said:
$10 gift card aspirations?

Mods don't get gift cards. ;)

E
everett464
fair enough... my money's still on you gunnin', though.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Well, the best way to get a high view count is to start a thread with a completely ambiguous yet irresistible title. Such as: "OMGZ craazy celebrity fishing blooperz video!! "

Celebrities are popular, bloopers are popular, videos are popular. Of course I learned this on other forums.

E
everett464
hahaha... and then link to some pay per click sie, that pays you. I like it.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
The only better situation would to not be a mod. Get the e-card and get the clicks. Cha-ching!

C
cookshot
Like i said in the last part of the tiger trout thread, I didn't know that brook and browns were non native. So first I will make my point, then I will ask a question. In some places, like many of the high lakes, there were no trout prior to stocking since most trout don't reproduce in still water and we don't have natural warm water fish in high lakes. So, places where brook trout exist exclusively, they aren't really taking the place of natives, they are instead providing a brand new fishery.

OK now the question part. What species of fish are native and non native in Oregon?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
cookshot said:
OK now the question part. What species of fish are native and non native in Oregon?

As far as I know that is where the majority of the contention lies. Panfish, browns, brooks and even your typical rainbow have screwed up native populations so far past the point of return, is it realistic to consider the restoration of native stocks as a goal? I'm answering a question with a question I know..

Last edited:
C
cookshot
So what does that leave as native? Bull trout? Chinook? I don't see the point in trying to restore some fisheries if they are beyond the point of no return. Why kill a lake full of one fish to try to re-introduce another? I'm not a huge fan of poisoning lakes, I like when they just lift limits on species they are trying to get rid of, that way the fish are at least not going to waste.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
However, I'm not even sure browns are non-native, or brooks for that matter... Cutthroats and redbands I think are the ones.

C
cookshot
I'm not sure either, just read it from the other thread.

E
everett464
Browns are for sure, non-native. They are not even native to North America.

Last edited:
C
cookshot
Where are they from? Out of curiosity.

Last edited:
C
cookshot
Found this on another thread.

Native fish of Oregon:

Bull trout

Chinook Salmon

Chum salmon

Coho salmon

Cutthroat trout

Western Brook

mountain whitefish

Rainbow trout/Redband trout/Steelhead

Green sturgeon

White sturgeon

As well as some sculpins, lampreys, chubs, and some other fish I have never heard of.

C
cookshot
Oh and suckers, it said they were native too.

E
everett464
cookshot said:
Where are they from? Out of curiosity.

I actually had to check the Wikipedia page for that one. My knowledge was limited to the fact that they are not native to N. America.

Anywho, Wikipedia says that they are native to Europe and Asia.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
And pike minnow are native to the center of the earth.