Lower Umpqua floats??

F
FishFiddle
I am headed down this week for some smallie action and would appreciate some input. I know lots of the launch sites and have spent lots of time in the area but have never actually floated the river. I know the put in on Mill Creek to Elkton, Yellow Creek to Kellogg bridge (is this a pay to launch?). Osprey to Bullock Bridge is another section that might make a day float. We want to do a leisurely day float (Drift Boat) and will be using fly gear. We could also go up higher but I am less familiar with the area. Thanks in Advance!!

F
FishFiddle
Hmmmm..... No input? Well, I'll narrow it down. Probably headed down Tuesday and thinking the Yellow Creek to Bullock Bridge. Maybe 3-4 miles? Does anyone have advice on the water? Any riffles to watch for? Anyone know about the take-out at Bullock? Thanks Again!

T
Thuggin4Life
I would jsut go all the way to salt after some monster nook fishing. 1 would be better than 1000 smallies.

Reactions: FishFiddle
H
Halfthrive
James woods to Osprey Point is my main float. But thats for winter steel. For bass I put in at the slide up Mehl creek RD and take out at Elkton. Great bass water.

Reactions: FishFiddle
F
FishFiddle
Lol! Yep, that could be a good option. I see there might have been some confusion as I was saying Bullock Bridge which is above Yellow Creek, when I should have said Kellogg Bridge which is below Yellow Creek. Sorry for the mixup. I got info that yes the Kellogg ramp is open and maybe like $5 to use. Also a shuttle available at Arlenes in cafe in Elkton. I also learned that you can take out at Big K Ranch which is maybe 7 river miles from Kellogg Bridge (long day float). I am temporarily on hold till I can get someone to do a double float, maybe Friday or on the weekend.??

F
FishFiddle
Halfthrive said:
James woods to Osprey Point is my main float. But thats for winter steel. For bass I put in at the slide up Mehl creek RD and take out at Elkton. Great bass water.
Thanks!! Might end up doing that one, also easier shuttle or bike ride.

F
FishFiddle
We made it! Fished Sunday from Yellow Creek to Kellogg Bridge. All good except for the rock pile about a mile below Yellow Creek ramp. We went river left and should have gone river right, got a little bumpy at this water level but got through ok. There is another ramp just below the rock pile (you can see it from the Hwy.) and at these levels I would recommend using it instead of Yellow creek, especially in a Drift Boat. We put in at 5:30 and took out at 2:30 and had a blast. I was wishing I would have taken my Minkota to push through some of the big pools. The take out at Kellogg is a cable pull up a sandy bank and worked well with 2 or 3 people to watch/signal/help, cost is $10 honor system with a drop box. We had some friends do our shuttle so did not use Arlenes in Elkton. Our biggest Smallie was 1.5 lbs. and all were caught on flies (forgot the worms at home). Sorry, no fish pictures this time.