Back to Medford for another week

F
Finneus Polebender
Will be back down south mon -thurs next week can anyone give me a good reason to bring gear and take one eve off early to fish am a stranger to the area! Primarily a bass guy but will fish anything! thx FP

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
There is a bunch of nice water down there! Definitely take your gear. Rogue River,Applegate River and Reservoir and Diamond Lake isn't that far away.

F
Finneus Polebender
Raincatcher said:
There is a bunch of nice water down there! Definitely take your gear. Rogue River,Applegate River and Reservoir and Diamond Lake isn't that far away.

Think I will take a little bit the river is right there , can't pack my boat so will lean away from the ponds and maybe hit the river.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Message me when u get down here. Im just a beginner at bass fishing but i have caught some this year. Or if u want to fish the Rogue, the summer steelhead should be here.

F
Finneus Polebender
Throbbit _Shane said:
Message me when u get down here. Im just a beginner at bass fishing but i have caught some this year. Or if u want to fish the Rogue, the summer steelhead should be here.

Will do Shane thx for the reply was hoping maybe someone down there from OFF would be available will bring the bass and the river gear!

C
Combat Chuck
Where in that area are you working? Out towards white city there is Agate that has smallmouth & largemouth. Toward ashland there is emigrant with everything or up a little higher is Howard prairie with mostly smallies or Hyatt with mostly largemouth. Expo ponds in Central point. Well thats a start anyways :) I grew up down there.

F
Finneus Polebender
Combat Chuck said:
Where in that area are you working? Out towards white city there is Agate that has smallmouth & largemouth. Toward ashland there is emigrant with everything or up a little higher is Howard prairie with mostly smallies or Hyatt with mostly largemouth. Expo ponds in Central point. Well thats a start anyways :) I grew up down there.

cool deal saw the expo ponds think shane might know the rest. off a little late tonight but will be lookin to get out tommorrow,there be a thunder storm brewing right now too!

T
Throbbit _Shane
the expo ponds are kinda dumpy but are nice since theyre right in town. oh and chuck me and a buddy one day this year were casting spinners off the bank at Howard Prairie and all we caught were largemouth. but iv also caught trout and smallies there on spinners this year. awesome lake, can also find morels around there at the right time of the year :D

M
Mad dog
Fish around the dam on Lost creek Reservoir for smallies the last few hours before dark! We've done well there from the bank in the past.

T
Throbbit _Shane
YUP^^ and in the back at Catfish Cove, but the mosquitos were bad there

F
Finneus Polebender
Throbbit _Shane said:
YUP^^ and in the back at Catfish Cove, but the mosquitos were bad there

ALL sounds great them mosquitos wont even hardly touch this ol leather neck but got bug spray if needed ,poison alage no prob ,Smallies would be exciting "Ive only ever caught one" so like i said whatever we can fit in an evening.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I havent caught a big one this year, biggest one probably being a pound maybe pound and a half. but they are fun as hell.

B
Browning
Finneus Polebender said:
Thanks ,Browning,and Colby pearson both speak highly of Selmac said I need to come down for a weekend and get serious ! gonna give the local ones a try w/shane tommorrow hopefully there will be pics ,these ones havent seen ol FPs stuff yet might just be able to fool a few !!!!!

It was great meeting you today. Let me know whats up & I'll do my best to tag along! And yeah, Selmac...:dance:

F
Finneus Polebender
Well got out tonight with shane, no bite but still had fun ! Tried buzzing you Browning but no answer, got off work kinda late . We went to lost lake I believe more the resivoir type of place , this ol pond dog was a little out of place ,but way better than sitttin in the room ! we are gonna try the ponds here tommorrow I think, should be more my style, so hoping to bust drag then. Thanks a bunch for takin me fishin shane ,will try you again tommorow night Browning we will give her one more shot before I leave town.Oh and yes after talkin with Shane I need to come down on a weekend and get out to Selmac for sure. have heard nothin but great things about that place will bring my toons then too!

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
I had fun, too bad we couldnt get the fish to bite. Tomorrow though i plan on catching something that swims i dont even care if its a bluegil or a carp! :D

So, Expo Ponds tomorrow evening til dark?, but lets keep the dead kittys away lol unless theyre good luck :D

F
Finneus Polebender
Throbbit _Shane said:
I had fun, too bad we couldnt get the fish to bite. Tomorrow though i plan on catching something that swims i dont even care if its a bluegil or a carp! :D

So, Expo Ponds tomorrow evening til dark?, but lets keep the dead kittys away lol unless theyre good luck :D

Sounds great and Ill second the dead kittys thing LOL will buzz ya when I get back

M
Mad dog
Hey Finneus, this is a little off the fishing in Medford subject but you could always try to South Umpqua for Smallies on the way home. There are 2 extremely accessible stretches right off of I-5. One is Dole rd. out of Mrytle creek, take the mrytle creek exit and cross the river heading into town, Dole rd is the 1st left and parallels the south river for about 5 miles with several good access area's and deeper smallie water. You will see some swimmers in areas and some gold dredger's looking for their fortunes but there is still plenty of room to fish. Also, if you stay on I-5 north until the next exit, take it(Exit 112 I believe?) and you will cross under I-5 heading west on old Hwy 99. Right under the I-5 bridge there is a deep hole that is easily accessible from the bank and is usually good fishing. If you follow old Hwy 99 northwest you will come to another deep good smallie hole about 2-3 miles west of I-5, a toon would be great here but there is bank room to fish! Just follow either rd. north and you can re-enter I-5 at Clarks branch. I usually tire of catching a continual bombardment of small bass and give up after 15 or 20! There are nice ones in there!

The limit is 10!!! Try to keep that many an help out the Salmon and Steelhead smolts! They make great fish tacos!

F
Finneus Polebender
Mad dog said:
Hey Finneus, this is a little off the fishing in Medford subject but you could always try to South Umpqua for Smallies on the way home. There are 2 extremely accessible stretches right off of I-5. One is Dole rd. out of Mrytle creek, take the mrytle creek exit and cross the river heading into town, Dole rd is the 1st left and parallels the south river for about 5 miles with several good access area's and deeper smallie water. You will see some swimmers in areas and some gold dredger's looking for their fortunes but there is still plenty of room to fish. Also, if you stay on I-5 north until the next exit, take it(Exit 112 I believe?) and you will cross under I-5 heading west on old Hwy 99. Right under the I-5 bridge there is a deep hole that is easily accessible from the bank and is usually good fishing. If you follow old Hwy 99 northwest you will come to another deep good smallie hole about 2-3 miles west of I-5, a toon would be great here but there is bank room to fish! Just follow either rd. north and you can re-enter I-5 at Clarks branch. I usually tire of catching a continual bombardment of small bass and give up after 15 or 20! There are nice ones in there!

The limit is 10!!! Try to keep that many an help out the Salmon and Steelhead smolts! They make great fish tacos!

Thanks for the info have heard there is a problem with an over abundance of small mouth in the umpqua, Fished the expo ponds with shane tonight , he caught a couple small largemouth , a bluegill,and a crappie .I missed both bites I had "small ones " however saw many large bass cruisin the banks and hittin somethin on top further out .There are definitely some nice LM in there just couldnt get the big ones interested in anything we had ! once again thanks Shane for the trips and thanks to OFF for makin a boring out of town trip more enjoyable , have met many fine fisherman through this sight ! and look forward to meeting and fishin with more of you . Get to stay home next week the Mrs will be happy, and all you out there if you get stuck out of town in the Eugene springfield area and are into bass ,just let me know would be happy to help a fellow OFFer find fishin on my home turf!

T
Throbbit _Shane
No problem Dave! Ill make sure to let you know when im up in the area :D

btw crappie and bluegill came on a panther martin :cool: . Ill start fishing those ponds more now, and try to get a big bass.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good times...

Good times...

Sounds like you guys are having a great time chasing those fish down there. :lol: Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. Good fishing to y'all! ;)