Trout - puttin the homies back in da wata.

G
Growbug
GDBrown mentioned a thread that may be a useful one.

Now i am throwing gas on the fire! and I hope this is becomes a real active thread.

MAIN QUESTIONS

1-Do you return ALL natives? (if not, why not? ie. bonked themselves, mutations, damage)

2-Do you retain ALL stockers? (if not, why not?)

3-What do you do/would you do if you see fishermen ignoring the ODFW rules?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Some rivers in oregon you can keep Non fin clipped fish. so id say if its legal why not keep one :D

G
Growbug
Throbbit _Shane said:
Some rivers in oregon you can keep Non fin clipped fish. so id say if its legal why not keep one :D

That comes under the 'if not, why not'...

Yeah, the Molalla has a 'non clip' retention on Salmon and Steelies. If i ever manage to get one whilst ODFW state its legal, then its mine! (Salmon only, coz steelies can have multiple runs and i would feel bad not letting it go its way), but... i should be talking Trout!

G
GDBrown
Which Fish are Native?

Which Fish are Native?

Before we go OFF half cocked lets get a few things straight!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Native Fish - A fish that is historically native to the water it is in. (think thousands of years)

Naturalized Fish - A fish that is not native but reproduces naturally in the wild without human aid. (think decades)

Stocked Fish - A fish that is reared in a human controlled environment and placed in a body of water to be caught and retained. (think months)

Hybridized Fish - A fish that is a genetic mutation caused by the inter breeding of two species of fish either in the wild or artificially under human control.

Please use these definitions when discussing this topic. (correction to the definitions will be entertained)

--------------------------------------------------------

F
fishtales
I fallow the law when it comes to native trout.

I keep most stockers for myself and use what I don’t eat for bait.

If it is provable with out being a stocker and it is affecting my fishing experience then I would turn them in. Otherwise I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt they are fallowing the law.

O
OnTheFly
Growbug said:
GDBrown mentioned a thread that may be a useful one.

Now i am throwing gas on the fire! and I hope this is becomes a real active thread.

MAIN QUESTIONS

1-Do you return ALL natives? (if not, why not? ie. bonked themselves, mutations, damage)
Always. But if state fish management allowed it then I would probably harvest a couple

2-Do you retain ALL stockers? (if not, why not?)
Steelhead yes trout no.

3-What do you do/would you do if you see fishermen ignoring the ODFW rules?
I'd turn them in. I can't stand poachers

T
Thuggin4Life
I will keep native trout were the regs allow. they taste better. I will only take home stocker trout if it is obvious that they are hold overs from previous years. as for "native" hybrids like cutbows, if the regs allow they are coming home. When i fish its ussually because I want to hopefully if everything goes right bring something home for the table. now there are situations where i will toss back a legal native just because I feel that that body of water/situation calls for the realease of it. Just because I keep natives when legal doesn't mean i am out there raping and pillaging the oregon waterways.

E
eggs
I turn all native trout back and all stockers unless they are mortal hooked or they are big and I am hungry! Only native trout I will keep is one where I know for sure the population is doing good and it is legal.

troutdude
troutdude
I release all stockers under 14". The rest are on a case by case basis (i.e. is my freezer full?).

I release ALL fin clipped fish; unless the specific reg's allow otherwise.