Tiger trout?

C
cookshot
Anyone ever see a tiger trout in oregon? Apparently they are a cross between brook and brown trout. Cool looking fish.

B
beaverfan
Ya they are a really awesome fish! I haven't heard of them in Oregon. I know that Oregon Fishing Club stocks golden trout into at least one of there ponds, they are also an awesome looking fish.

R
rippin fish lips
awesome looking fish!

G
Growbug
Hmmm... I KNOW that i have read something somewhere recently about Tiger Trout.
I believe it was some of the lakes below Mt St Helens have been stocked with Tigers. If my memory is correct, the reservoirs have become 'infested' with real stunted rainbows and cutts and the stocking of Tigers was supposed to clean them out (Tiger Trout are amazing predators). Also, with the Tigers (mostly) being a sterile breed, the population will eradicate itself.

G
GDBrown
While they are a beautiful fish without a doubt, I worry that hybridized fish will eventually replace the native fish gene pool. Some of the native fish we have in Oregon have been undisturbed in their habitat for thousands of years and since the White Man has come it has only taken a few hundred years to make many endangered or extinct. I wish that more anglers would practice catch and release on native fish and retention on hatchery or naturalized fish. I guess one of the problems with that is many of us don't know which are which. Maybe that would be a good thread topic.

According to the ODFW web site (Hatchery Propagation report for last year) there was no hatchery program for Tiger trout at any Oregon hatchery in 2009. That does not mean that there was not a program for them in the past, just none last year. Propagation Report available here:ODFW Propagation Report 2009

GD

Last edited:
G
Growbug
GDBrown said:
While they are a beautiful fish without a doubt, I worry that hybridized fish will eventually replace the native fish gene pool. Some of the native fish we have in Oregon have been undisturbed in their habitat for thousands of years and since the White Man has come it has only taken a few hundred years to make many endangered or extinct. I wish that more anglers would practice catch and release on native fish and retention on hatchery or naturalized fish. I guess one of the problems with that is many of us don't know which are which. Maybe that would be a good thread topic.

GD

Hmmm... hatchery's don't have the adipose fin???
Its a rather obvious give away but, i think some people needs an adipose fin spotting kit and secret agent glasses to work it out.

A problem that i have seen on a couple of my local fisheries.... people DONT immediately return (take home to eat) trout that they catch in RIVERS and STREAMS that ODFW state are C&R only.
PLUS on Silverton Res, I have seen fisherpeople (real ones, with boats, and real tackle) returning with cutts and browns from the INLET STREAM and acting as if they were stockers.

T
Throbbit _Shane
not all hatchery fish are fin clipped

G
Growbug
i agree not ALL, but its a real good sign that the fish without a fin is a hatchery, and yes, some 'clips' look real botched.

G
GDBrown
Check the new thread....

What is a native fish?

T
Thuggin4Life
Theye are lots of places where they dont clip the stockers. Tigers look cool and if they are steril then there is no chance of a massive takeover. So back to this native thing. Browns are non native natives I like to keep a few but also like to presserve this non native fishery. Brook trout are non native but are native at the same time but there is no limit on them because "they" dont want them in our waterways. reason is that they will hybridize with bull trout making steril offspring. Man i think this needs to be on another thread.

C
c_chickens
thining out the weak! trout r just big bait fish

troutdude
troutdude
cookshot said:
Anyone ever see a tiger trout in oregon? Apparently they are a cross between brook and brown trout. Cool looking fish.

I have never seen, nor heard of, any tigers in our state.

But, there are (I think) native Golden's in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in NE Oregon.

K
Kais
Tiger trout are rare in genreal because they usually can't reproduce. They are pretty cool, but probably not in oregon because they are a cross between brook and brown trout, which usually don't live in the same area, especially in oregon, but they look sweetq\

B
beaverfan
I disagree, there are numerous places where they are in the same water. Harriet Lake as well as Paulina Lake have both species, and I'm sure many other lakes do too.

W
wormosa
those trout are very cool looking...i have never heard of them before

C
cookshot
I didn't know browns and brook were both non native. I personally don't have a problem with non native brooks in most places that being the case. If you think about it, most high mountain lakes would have NO trout if not brooks since they can reproduce without moving water. So really, in some places, they have only added to the fishery instead of replacing other species. Unless there is something I'm not aware of. Do other trout reproduce without moving water?

W
waco
thats a cool looking fish!!!! Did you catch them??

C
cookshot
No, but I really want to now. I can't remember where I heard about them (it was a long time ago this morning).

W
wormosa
kodiak clean out your msg box, i tried to reply to you

T
TTFishon
Kais said:
Tiger trout are rare in genreal because they usually can't reproduce. They are pretty cool, but probably not in oregon because they are a cross between brook and brown trout, which usually don't live in the same area, especially in oregon, but they look sweetq\

By "don't live in the same area" do you mean the same habitat in a certain body of water. Because I'm with Beaverfan. Wickiup has brokkies and browns too. In fact I know a place at Wickiup where the brookies spawn and about 50 ft away the browns are spawning too.