Lake suggestions for trout

S
stormj
Hi All,

I'm new to the area and looking to take my girlfriend trout fishing this weekend. She hasn't been fishing since she was a little one, so I'm trying to reintroduce her and get her hooked!

Ideally, I'd like to keep it to somewhere within an hour or so of Portland and at a lake with decent bank/dock fishing. We're petsitting my roommates dogs this weekend and I don't want to leave them alone for too long...

I've looked online at the odfw stocking schedules and it looks like the most recently stocked lakes are Trillium (7/4), Estacada (6/27), Faraday (6/27), North Fork Reservoir (6/27).

Anyone got any suggestions, thoughts, or tips?

Thanks in advance!

W
wozniasm
Trillium is quite nice and the view is exceptional of Mt. Hood. Bank access is decent.
Faraday is okay. The best area is at the dam but there's only room for a few. there's tons of room on the way up to the dam but I don't see a lot being caught on a regular basis.
North Fork is also nice.Bank access is decent. You have the free boat launch area (just after mile marker 28) with some access, going up towards the dam are some spots but very steep to get down to the water. it also has some backwater that is on the other side of the highway about a half block from the free boat launch area.
St. Louis Ponds can be nice. Several ponds to choose from but not the most picturesc place - their having vandalism issues.
Let's not forget Hagg. Good bank access.
I'm going to Harriet to camp in about two or thee weeks hopefully but have never been there so can't comment.

R
R.Gertken
Trillium was stocked on the 6th and is fishing good. I only fish from a float tube when im there and weekends can be a nightmare fishing from shore. I would suggest clear lake to fish if you can only make it up on the weekends. Good luck

W
wozniasm
R.Gertken said:
I would suggest clear lake to fish if you can only make it up on the weekends. Good luck

Never been to Clear Lake. Do they stock?

Which Clear lake are you talking about? There's aout a dozen. The one near Sisiters or the one OFF of FS Road 2630 ?

Last edited:
S
stormj
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about heading up to Trillium, but am having second thoughts now because of the crowds. I'm assuming lots of swimmers, and campers will probably be splashing around. Perhaps we will go to North Fork, any suggestions for North Fork?

As for Clear Lake, I'm assuming R.Gertken was referring to
Facility Details - Recreation.gov, Clear Lake (OR) - Recreation.gov. Based on the directions it sounds a little too far for us.

R
R.Gertken
Yeah they stock clear lake in the early summer. Their is also a lot of hold over. Fish that can get pretty big. It usually the first lake
that opens after the snow melts.

Last edited:
J
JKham
I would say north fork reservoir, I've seen plenty of people catch off the bank under the hwy.

W
wozniasm
stormj said:
any suggestions for North Fork?
You have the free boat launch area (just after mile marker 28) with some access, going up towards the dam are some spots but very steep to get down to the water. it also has some backwater that is on the other side of the highway about a half block from the free boat launch area.
Bring PB, worms, eggs and bobber. If using bobber, fish at least 5 foot deep.

S
stormj
Looks like thunderstorms are in the forecastfor Clear Lake today. Guess I"ll have to postpone this fishing excursion till a later date.
:mad: