Kayak question

O
Outdoor_Myers
Ok so I have been thinking and I thought this might get me out on the water easier and more affordable than a boat and way easier to store now I have a few questions about kayaks?

1) how stable are they and safe? vs tipping over and the like
2) with proper training can i use a kayak in the willamette from newberg down to salem that stretch of the river? and the yamhill from mouth up past amity?
3) can you anchor yourself to the bottom in a kayak? I am not use to the whole trolling thing and sometimes I might just want to find a place to relax and maybe do some catfishing?
4) is it worth the money?
5) since I am a small guy maybe nothing over 13' and i like some depth and not sitting up high or flat with legs stretched out all the time. I seen one on display in salem at the sports authority at the lancaster mall above the gun racks but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. If anyone is near there or heads there could you write down the name and price for me :D ?

C_Run
C_Run
I am an absolute novice with a kayak but a lot of that info can be found on the Northwest Kayak Anglers website. If you join you can get discounts at some of their advertisers. Some of those guys up in Washington anchor in hundreds of feet of water and fish for halibut-there are some good stories on there.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Ya you gonna buy that for me Chuck?! lol and where the heck have you been hiding? havent seen you on in a long time (granted I havent been on much this year myself.)

Troutski
Troutski
Take the hit...buy one

Take the hit...buy one

I happen to have access to one of those wonderful magic carpets....my son has one and he has given me card blanch. The Willy is my back yard and man does this thing tame the river....
I've been around...keeping the spammers at bay. As for fishing - well my time is being eating up by work, we seem to be working 29 hours a day 8 days a week.
If you do get one give my name and we can split the finders fee.....you will never regret buying one.. never.
P4170004.jpg

Chuck

R
rawkfish
Outdoor_Myers said:
Ok so I have been thinking and I thought this might get me out on the water easier and more affordable than a boat and way easier to store now I have a few questions about kayaks?

1) how stable are they and safe? vs tipping over and the like
2) with proper training can i use a kayak in the willamette from newberg down to salem that stretch of the river? and the yamhill from mouth up past amity?
3) can you anchor yourself to the bottom in a kayak? I am not use to the whole trolling thing and sometimes I might just want to find a place to relax and maybe do some catfishing?
4) is it worth the money?
5) since I am a small guy maybe nothing over 13' and i like some depth and not sitting up high or flat with legs stretched out all the time. I seen one on display in salem at the sports authority at the lancaster mall above the gun racks but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. If anyone is near there or heads there could you write down the name and price for me :D ?

1) If you're considering sit-on-top (SOT) kayaks, they can be VERY stable or a little squirly. They are designed for greater stability to make it feel more comfortable for people that aren't experienced.
2) Yes.
3) Certainly.
4) Abso-fricken-lutely!!
5) SOT kayaks are made in a large variety of sizes. Longer and narrower for speed and distance, shorter and wider for increased maneuverability, stability and weight capacity.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers!

C_Run
C_Run
Welcome to OFF, Rawkfish. There is a bit of cross pollination between OFF and NWKA but we could use some more expertise on the kayak side of things over here and also, don't be shy about posting reports on the salt water section here. We could use some inspiration there, too.

O
Outdoor_Myers
rawkfish said:
1) If you're considering sit-on-top (SOT) kayaks, they can be VERY stable or a little squirly. They are designed for greater stability to make it feel more comfortable for people that aren't experienced.
2) Yes.
3) Certainly.
4) Abso-fricken-lutely!!
5) SOT kayaks are made in a large variety of sizes. Longer and narrower for speed and distance, shorter and wider for increased maneuverability, stability and weight capacity.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers!

hey rawk if you are a member over at nwka could you let the_nothing know to come check his emails over here please lol.