Thread: yaquina river blue back

yaquina river blue back

I tried for the blue backs on the Yaqunia river at Elk City all day Saturday and only caught mini bull head. I was plunkin with night crawlers and a spin-n-glow. Finally had to take off the spin-n-glow cause of the tangles, just not enough current I guess. When the blue back bite is on - its on and the rest of the year it aint. Maybe next week end.

GMc

V.I.P. Top Author RunWithSasquatch's Avatar
    Your just a bit early it seems, August-September, though I am sure there are a few around already (im not sure what the regs are for fishing season on trout off my head) I havent targeted them for a few years. Next time, set your self up an hour or so before the incoming tide, target bull heads during that time with your night crawlers and use some smelly jelly. Catch a few bull heads, fillet them out for bait. Once incoming tide is on, add your fresh sculpin bait, with more shrimp smelly jelly, and you'll be looking good. Sea run cutts love sculpin flesh for bait!
    Last edited by RunWithSasquatch; 07-11-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Great advice! Finaly, something useful to do with those pesky bull heads. The ones I'm catching are only about 3" long. I've heard that theres salmon running up the yaquina right now. Anyone else hear of that?
    GMc

V.I.P. Top Author RunWithSasquatch's Avatar
    Also a bit early. Feeder kings may be coming in the Jaws down in newport chasing the bait fish in and out with the tides, maybe a few Kamikaze Chin Hooks are lurking around, but its not a realistic fishery unless you fish down by the salt. Mid- to late august and early september those fish will be around, thats when I start to target fall fish. Bobber fishing/ spinners at elk city will be good fishing that high up in september.

Those are good sized bull heads for bait, dont use a whole fillet, use about a 1x1'' chunk, or what feels right.

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon
Trout Fishing in Oregon
Bass Fishing in Oregon