First fish on the fly!

A
alm21
Caught my first fish on a fly since I was a little kid. I've been wanting to get into fly fishing but it has seeme like a daunting task. Went out on a guided trip with some friends in Central Washington yesterday. We hit a special spring fed creek that is a C&R barbless fly fishing only location. You can't even wade in the water. It was amazing, gin clear water with big bows that are extremely finicky. This place was full of life with pelicans, bull snakes, turtles, muskrats, etc... We had success based on the expertise of our guides and their ability to identify the right fly for the feeding. We used midges and scuds mostly. Here are a couple pics.

My first fish on the fly:

RockFordSringCreekTrout5181103.jpg

RockyFordSpringCreekWA51711075.jpg

Crystal clear water makes it a bit easier to watch the behavior and see what they are feeding on.

RockyFordSpringCreekWA51711076.jpg

RockyFordSpringCreekWA51711080.jpg

RockyFordSpringCreekWA51711087.jpg

RockyFordSpringCreekWA51711089.jpg

Reactions: jimmy and Yohan
brandon4455
brandon4455
you will be hooked forever now! thats a very nice looking fish. congrats :clap:

S
Spydeyrch
Nice fish, nice pics, and nice area!!! Congrats on the first on a fly in a long time!!! Now you got to get out there and do some more of it!!! FEEL THE ADDICTION!!!! hehehe :)

-Spydey

A
alm21
Some more pics. One of my buddy that is priceless

RockyFordSringCreek5181106.jpg

RockyFordSringCreek5181107.jpg

RockyFordSringCreek5181108.jpg

RockyFordSringCreek5181109.jpg

Can you spot the fish?

RockyFordSringCreek5181110.jpg

On the take!

RockyFordSringCreek5181111.jpg

Y
Yohan
Oh ya... ol ____ ____ creek. Great report and pictures. Scuds are definitley a go to fly on that creek. It's a good time of year to fish em now rather than later in the summer when those fish get more picky and really lazy. Btw... how were the ticks, I heard it's gonna be a hellofa year for em this year.

Next time your over there and that creek seems crowded; check out "the longest ephemeral stream in North America." There are some dandies in there as well.

Last edited:
J
jimmy
GREAT FIRST FISH!!! Awesome photos, thanks for those, love the fact you documented everything.

If you still have the fly, retire it and slap in in a frame with a photo of that fish, you wont regret it.

Another feather addict is born, snif. . . snif. . . I feel so. . . proud. . heehee

nice job!

A
alm21
brandon4455 said:
you will be hooked forever now! thats a very nice looking fish. congrats :clap:

Spydeyrch said:
Nice fish, nice pics, and nice area!!! Congrats on the first on a fly in a long time!!! Now you got to get out there and do some more of it!!! FEEL THE ADDICTION!!!! hehehe :)

-Spydey

jimmy said:
GREAT FIRST FISH!!! Awesome photos, thanks for those, love the fact you documented everything.

If you still have the fly, retire it and slap in in a frame with a photo of that fish, you wont regret it.

Another feather addict is born, snif. . . snif. . . I feel so. . . proud. . heehee

nice job!

Thanks! I am all in for fly fishing now. It leaves me feeling so much more gratified in the experience. It's a journey I'm excited to embark on. Great idea on the fly/frame.

Yohan said:
Oh ya... ol ____ ____ creek. Great report and pictures. Scuds are definitley a go to fly on that creek. It's a good time of year to fish em now rather than later in the summer when those fish get more picky and really lazy. Btw... how were the ticks, I heard it's gonna be a hellofa year for em this year.

Next time your over there and that creek seems crowded; check out "the longest ephemeral stream in North America." There are some dandies in there as well.

Ahh, someone who recognizes this place. Quite the gem. We wore our waders mostly to evade ticks and we didn't seem to have a problem. Thanks for the tip, I will look into that as I would like to go back. When we arrived, there were only two people around downstream and it wasn't long before we were by ourselves. We had the water to ourselves all day.

S
Sinkline
Awesome! Congats on your success, and thanks for posting the great pics!

Randy

A
alm21
Sinkline said:
Awesome! Congats on your success, and thanks for posting the great pics!

Randy

Thanks, BTW, great pic of you in the tube with the aerial fish! We were fishing with some pretty light gear. Caught mine on a 4wt with 2lb leader.

I
I <3 <><
Nice fish!!! Thats way better than my first...Great pictures too, thanks for sharing. :D :clap:

L
lilsalmon
Sweeeeet......

troutdude
troutdude
alm21 said:
Some more pics. One of my buddy that is priceless

RockyFordSringCreek5181106.jpg

RockyFordSringCreek5181107.jpg

RockyFordSringCreek5181108.jpg

RockyFordSringCreek5181109.jpg

Can you spot the fish?

RockyFordSringCreek5181110.jpg

On the take!

RockyFordSringCreek5181111.jpg

Awesome pics man! The fish, btw, is under that "bull" snake...LOL!

P.S. Am sending a PM, to let you know about a photo contest.

M
mrlindeman
Beautiful pics and great catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!