Kelp Greenling/Cabezon

H
Hawk
joeyota said:
I am not sure if they are plentiful in new port. When I used to fish Winchester and Florence I would harvest my own sand shrimp at low tide. Real easy and fun to do also. I made one of those 4 inch pipe shrimp getter's. Just push it down 2-3ft into the sand and pull the sand out with the tube and start grabbing them out of the hole as it fills with water! I would get 2or 3 per hole.

I used those a lot when surffishin'. We caught them on the beach but we called them Sand Crabs...............................:lol::lol::lol:

For bait i also used PileWorms, Squid, cut Anchovies, Mackeral.....................................:D........................:cool::cool:

H
Hawk
P.S.

Watch the ocean water come in, as it goes out look fer bubbles on top of the sand, that whar sandcrabs be, dig down fast, cuz they dig deep fast...........................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:..................................:cool::cool::cool:

1aB
Oops, sorry, I posted misinformation - sand turtles in HI are actually your sand fleas, not sand shrimp.

F
fishfreak13
Correct. Refer to my post "Jetties cont." under Yaquina bay forum heading. I posted a link to a pic of these lil buggers. They are indeed very very easy to catch. No tools needed. Just head out during a low tide and you can see them either half dug in the drier sand or if high tide look for receding waves and you can see them digging in after being washed out from the last wave. We grab em with our hands, and toss em in a gallon ziplock with some wet sand :D Just open the bag when you get to your destination, keep cool, and they will live for a long long time. Good Luck and happy fishing!

Last edited:
J
joeyota
fishfreak13 said:
Correct. Refer to my post "Jetties cont." under Yaquina bay forum heading. I posted a link to a pic of these lil buggers. They are indeed very very easy to catch. No tools needed. Just head out during a low tide and you can see them either half dug in the drier sand or if high tide look for receding waves and you can see them digging in after being washed out from the last wave. We grab em with our hands, and toss em in a gallon ziplock with some wet sand :D Just open the bag when you get to your destination, keep cool, and they will live for a long long time. Good Luck and happy fishing!

That sounds way to easy. I will have to try this next time I am at the coast. So any ware on the beach or close to the jetty? I don't belive I have ever seen these. It may be that I never looked.

H
Hawk
I used to c&r some nice Striped Bass surffishin'................butt that wuz in Cali lustrums ago...........................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

M
madoc
joeyota said:
That sounds way to easy. I will have to try this next time I am at the coast. So any ware on the beach or close to the jetty? I don't belive I have ever seen these. It may be that I never looked.

They are mole crabs - if you play in the surf they are the little bugs that come out and swim around in the water as it washes up the beach, and then burrow under as the wave goes out. Anywhere on the beach.

F
fourgotten
1aB said:
Oops, sorry, I posted misinformation - sand turtles in HI are actually your sand fleas, not sand shrimp.

This is why scientific names were invented... :lol: In this case, Emerita analoga (mole crabs/sand crabs).... which make wonderful bait for Sebastes melanops (black rockfish (also mistakenly called "sea bass":naughty:... which would really be Stereolepis gigas)), Hexagrammos decagammas (greenling), and most other fish common in the surf and rocky coastline....

F
fourgotten
fishfreak13 said:
We grab em with our hands, and toss em in a gallon ziplock with some wet sand :D Just open the bag when you get to your destination, keep cool, and they will live for a long long time. Good Luck and happy fishing!

I find that they last best in a berry box (or other ventilated plastic box... or you could go "green" and use some sort of lidded basket) lined with paper towels (or cloth towels... again with that whole "green" thing) that have been dampened in sea water... keep it under 50 F. degrees if possible and I have had them last for over a week...

When you hook 'em, I find that it's best to hook them straight through the head and then turn your hook 180 degrees and bring it back up through the body and out the top of the carapace.... they'll stay on a hook that way through SEVERAL off-the-ground casts if done properly.